The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2016, 10:20 AM

Question Any software to translate riffs/solo in songs to guitar tab?

For experienced players, it may not be needed but for newbie like me, it'll be great help if there's something that can translate riffs/solo in songs to guitar tabs.
It'll prevent a lot of time and frustration trying to figure out what notes to play.
Thanks for suggestions.
Old 08-15-2016, 10:36 AM

Riffstation
https://www.seventhstring.com/
Old 08-15-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Thanks.
Is it only for scales or for chords as well?
Old 08-15-2016, 10:52 AM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstegeman View Post
Just to be clear, these are two different tools. Both can slow down the tempo without altering the pitch (good for practicing and transcribing), and can also do pitch alteration.

Riffstation is by http://riffstation.com. It does chord analysis (not solo lines).

Transcribe! is by http://seventhstring.com. (The exclamation point is part of the name.) It can do single-note analysis, but it will not transcribe automatically. It lets you easily isolate short segments.

I own Transcribe! and use it both for practice and to do a little transcription.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery123 View Post
For experienced players, it may not be needed but for newbie like me, it'll be great help if there's something that can translate riffs/solo in songs to guitar tabs.
It'll prevent a lot of time and frustration trying to figure out what notes to play.
Thanks for suggestions.
I'm not intending to be sarcastic but the best tool for what you want is the one you are using now, the internet. Put the name of the track into the search engine of your choice followed by the word 'tab'. I'd expect it to work nine times out of ten.
Old 08-15-2016, 11:19 AM

I would not recommend such a crutch. If you don't put in the time learning to listen and translate lines onto your instrument you're really not going to get anywhere. Use the time you'd spend learning tab to train your ear/hands.

You'll be better off in the long run learning to play music rather than just follow tab.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:25 AM

I second the recommendation for Transcribe https://www.seventhstring.com/

Riffstation is quite fun, but only gives chords, and makes mistakes anyway. That's because it's only programmed to recognise major, minor and dom7 chords. There are other chord types out there! (Even in rock music sometimes....)
Don't trust ANY software that claims to actually tell you what notes and chords are in a piece of music. Especially any software that claims to be able to translate audio into MIDI, notation or (even worse) tab. There is some that can translate to MIDI or notation with very simple audio, but it needs a lot of setting up first, and then a lot of editing later. Essentially you have to hold the program's hand all the time - and then clear up its mess later....

Much quicker to do it yourself, using something like Transcribe to help you listen. It not only slows the track down (without changing key) and lets you loop short sections, it displays the waveform so you can mark it up to help navigation, and it displays selections against a piano keyboard so you can see peak frequencies in a chord (can't read piano? right-click any note and it gives you tab options). And actually it will suggest chord identities if you want (although I wouldn't trust it 100%).
There are plenty of other slowdowners, but Transcribe is the best IMO. (It even works with video, once you convert it to MP4.)
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 AM

I know you re looking for a software but consider using this hardware instead!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write