The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-14-2014, 12:27 PM

Default Modern Praise Music Lead/Solo Books

I'm looking for a book (as that is generally how I play at home) with either sheet music, or tabs for playing a lead or solo style for contemporary praise music.

Where in the world can I find these? In the bookstores, nearly everything is piano based, or 'fake' books. If it is guitar oriented, it is always old hymns. I can get chords online no problem, but I want something to play lead, or else something that sounds good solo. Are there any useful book recommendations?
Old 02-14-2014, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pualee View Post
I'm looking for a book (as that is generally how I play at home) with either sheet music, or tabs for playing a lead or solo style for contemporary praise music.

Where in the world can I find these? In the bookstores, nearly everything is piano based, or 'fake' books. If it is guitar oriented, it is always old hymns. I can get chords online no problem, but I want something to play lead, or else something that sounds good solo. Are there any useful book recommendations?
Hi Paulee...

Paul Baloche has an acoustic guitar DVD with a free companion 33 page workbook (downloadable). The DVD is worth it - for the price of a single lesson you get 2˝ hrs of solid intermediate instruction.

Acoustic Worship Guitar - CliCk

Hope this points you in a good direction...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-14-2014, 01:08 PM

I have seen Utubes that will show you how a lead is played on some of the more popular praise songs. Our electric player typically just pulls them off the cd by ear. (He just has that ability)

Larry thanks for that DVD from Paul I have used some of his DVDs before and they are quite well done. For the price this looks good.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
I have seen Utubes that will show you how a lead is played on some of the more popular praise songs. Our electric player typically just pulls them off the cd by ear. (He just has that ability)

Larry thanks for that DVD from Paul I have used some of his DVDs before and they are quite well done. For the price this looks good.
Hi Dn...

The electric DVD is a bargain because they combined all the info from 2 previous DVDs and put it on a single one. I love using it with electric players who have a good understanding of technique (how to play chords, barres etc) but who don't understand how to fit lead parts into songs, set up effects etc.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 02-14-2014, 01:35 PM

I had looked at his page before... but I did not bite on the purchases... now that I have someone recommending him... more questions!

1. Is the vocal instruction useful without a coach? I sing terrible, but sometimes I'm pretty good. I need to be more consistent. I know alot of it is my range and also how loud I have to get (room size, mic, etc).

2. Do the electric and acoustic guitar material overlap, or is there value to both (I've just got a new amp and want to work that into what I play).

3. Under songwriting, there is a "theory" and also a "how to write songs" section. I've written 2 songs, but both are kind of 'in progress'. Any value to those?
Old 02-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I had looked at his page before... but I did not bite on the purchases... now that I have someone recommending him... more questions!

1. Is the vocal instruction useful without a coach? I sing terrible, but sometimes I'm pretty good. I need to be more consistent. I know alot of it is my range and also how loud I have to get (room size, mic, etc).

2. Do the electric and acoustic guitar material overlap, or is there value to both (I've just got a new amp and want to work that into what I play).

3. Under songwriting, there is a "theory" and also a "how to write songs" section. I've written 2 songs, but both are kind of 'in progress'. Any value to those?
Hi Paulee...

There may be value without a coach to any 'coaching' you can get. They sure did an all-star cast of great musicians to put together the singing DVD.

There will be minimal overlap between electric and acoustic video, because they play different roles in a band. I own all of Paul's videos and use them with worship teams regularly when they have no knowledge of an instrument, but have a player who needs help.

I start by loaning them the appropriate DVD, and follow it up with coaching if a church wants to hire me for that.

The reason I like Paul Baloche's videos is he teaches at worship workshops and has for years. He is a good basic instructor and the things he shares are workable and valuable.

I have discovered many churches have his DVDs sitting on the shelf in a worship leader's office. If you go to a contemporary church (or have friends who do) see if they may have some to loan.

Hope this helps...

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-14-2014, 03:16 PM

It would be nice if we did have those things, I can always ask...

But my church is mostly piano/organ/choir. Our new paster seems to want a praise band (his last church had 3), and I am trying my best to make sure I am in a position to sign up when the time comes. Even if I don't make the cut, since there are many guitarist in the area (although they are mostly bluegrass and country/western folks), I still like learning and pursuing the style. I already get to play monthly, and sometimes more, and I have gotten bored to tears with singing and strumming. I need to pick up some new skills.

I'm working thourgh several different styles and books, but those aren't worhship oriented. My instructor is worship oriented, but only plays rhythm... so I'm sort of searching for direction at the moment.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
…I'm working thourgh several different styles and books, but those aren't worhship oriented. My instructor is worship oriented, but only plays rhythm... so I'm sort of searching for direction at the moment.
Hi Paulee...

If you can find some people to play with casually (outside of church time) and start prepping, you will so much further ahead than just reading up on things.

There is no substitute for playing.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 02-14-2014, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Dn...

The electric DVD is a bargain because they combined all the info from 2 previous DVDs and put it on a single one. I love using it with electric players who have a good understanding of technique (how to play chords, barres etc) but who don't understand how to fit lead parts into songs, set up effects etc.

I got that CD it was excellent even though my electric guitar is not that great.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 02-14-2014, 04:03 PM

As far as the singing part goes, in the beginning your focus is all on vocal and then I think ears get closed to what is going on around you. Like too focused, if that makes sense.

I like to have different team members learn to lead a song, if not get 4 or 5 that I can choose from. I have 4 now who have lead a song for the first time. I ask them to open their ears, hear all the individual instruments and then just let it go. If you're hearing the notes on the keys and the drums, etc you will sing just fine.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:13 AM

I ordered the singing DVD, and expect that this week.

Otherwise, I downloaded the workbooks for the acoustic, electric, theory, and songwriting books. I also watched a few youtubes snippets of the videos. They look really good, and eye opening in details I had never considered. Excellent recommendation, I plan on getting them all in time.

Otherwise, I saw our youth pastor over the weekend and we got to talking. The issue of a praise band came up (since my son and I play sometimes at church) and I said "I'll do it". Apparently nobody is willing to volunteer, even though there are many musicians and capable people (I think nobody is willing to invest their time) - it is a shame, because I am probably the least qualified, but the most willing.

Anyway, I told him that if he can get me a singer, and I only play rhythm, I'll make less mistakes on the guitar. Things are in motion now, and I'm super excited! I still want to learn lead, and sing, but you know... 1 step at a time.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:46 AM

Quote:

probably the least qualified, but the most willing.

Willing is a large part of qualified.

Praise music on a local level is one environment where "good enough is good enough." If your playing and singing don't flat out distract people from their singing, and so long as you give them the words, play things easy to sing, and in an accessible key, and YOU feel the praise, you are good to go.

Also, those "more qualified" people may end up agreeing to chime in on an occasional or limited basis once you create the platform. I remember when I did a lot of P&W music about 15 years ago, and I felt the need to practice a lot on the specific songs I would be playing that week. This other guy, however, who was a gifted and experienced rhythm player, could just show up and play anything I was doing with no practice needed whatsoever, and he helped me sound much better!

Actually, I ended up at different times playing with very good players and singers, much better than myself, but never did anyone actually want to be the one to organize everything. As such, they gave me the leeway to choose songs, keys, etc. that let me stay in the game, whereas I could not have kept up with what they may have done if they were in charge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write