The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-30-2011, 09:27 AM

Default Help trying to fingerpick Sparrow by Simon & Garfunkel

I've been trying to learn Sparrow by Simon & Garfunkel but I'm having a bit of trouble with the technique.

It looks you're supposed to repeatedly hit the bottom three strings simultaneously with a double-hit

e.g.
00 00 00
00 00 00
00 00 00

I've been following tabs from GuitareTab here (http://www.911tabs.com/link/?7380106) but I'm having trouble interpreting it. I'm not sure exactly how to execute this 'double hit' (the double 00). It doesn't sound right if I pluck twice. Maybe I shouldn't pluck at all and just stroke it up/down instead? Or maybe its not supposed to be plucked simultaneously, to pluck G,B then E strings in that order BUT really fast.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Old 10-30-2011, 12:15 PM

I listened to the song some, It doesn't sound like a pinch or all three strings at once. Sounds to me like an arpeggio. Strings 3,2,1 would be played in that order. Look at this tab here:www.guitaretab.com/s/simon-paul/17319.html
Old 10-30-2011, 03:22 PM

How or where do you find these finger picking tabs. When I search these sites all I find is the cords and not the tabs?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:33 PM

Excellent, the arpeggio idea makes much more sense and the alternative tabs seem to corroborate it. Thanks for finding that.

As for fingerpicking tabs... I just use 911tabs, sometimes the song name will specifically say fingerpicking version, otherwise if you know its a fingerpicking type song just flick through all the hits that come up on the site and you'll find one eventually (after a lot of duplicate posts)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write