The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Anyone get that "raspy" sound from fingerpicks

Playing a bit today with the finger picks and I keep getting that "raspy" sound when using the index finger on the low A string in conjunction with the low E played with the thumb. Does this go away over time as you learn to change the attack angle on the fly or is it unavoidable when using finger picks?

I know when I finally get this finger pick thing down I will be able to unlock a great thing, but my key keeps getting broken in the keyhole, lol.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-15-2015, 02:44 PM

I've been able to reduce it substantially by changing my attack so plucks are more perpendicular to the wound strings, and less parallel.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:24 AM

I have tried twisting the tips to change the attack angle. This helps reduce the scraping noise. I got this tip from a Banjo site:
http://www.banjoben.com/picks.htm
Old 03-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
I have tried twisting the tips to change the attack angle. This helps reduce the scraping noise. I got this tip from a Banjo site:
Great thread, great answer. Maybe I'll go back and give it a try again!
Old 03-16-2015, 08:28 AM

Second on that.... You have to fiddle with the angles on fingerpicks to get a nice, clean "break" across the string....Much the same way as a classical guitarist does his nails for the same effect.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:34 AM

Yes, you must position the picks on your fingers correctly.

Another thing that may help: if you learned fingerstyle with bare fingers, you probably got into the habit of touching a string before you pluck it. It's kind of like a blind person using a cane to feel his way around. It works with bare fingers because your skin will land on and stop a string from vibrating silently. A pick however will cause a buzz.

To eliminate the buzz, you have to initiate the attack before you make contact with the string, then pull through the stroke without hesitation. It takes lots of conscious practice.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:31 PM
Charter Member

Ok, good, I thought the picks' angles would have to be adjusted. As I get more proficient using them, I will be able to do it. Thanks for the tips.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 03-17-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
Holy cow! What a difference!

Love my AGF. Thanks for the tip!

Rick
Old 03-17-2015, 11:38 PM

Unhappy

Yes, I could never get it. The comment above about touching the strings with the fingertips makes a lot of sense to me. I was trained in the Segovia method,where you touch with the fingertip, and flick through with the nail, to get a nice fat sound.

I used Alaska Picks for a while. Much easier to use, good sound, and because the pads are bare, you ccan flip your fingers up to the thumbpick and flatpick with it. But back to bare fingers and a thumbpick again. I just find it way more versatile, and the picks seem to get in the way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write