The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-07-2011, 07:51 AM

Default The sound of your own voice....

Is it just me, or does everyone else hate the sound of their own voice?

I consider myself, from what I hear in my head, a good singer. I mean, I'm a music teacher full time. Everytime I sit and record something, I almost immediately delete it. I HATE it.

Maybe it's just me.

Erik

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 04-07-2011, 08:16 AM

I think almost everyone is dissatisfied when they compare what they hear as they speak or sing to a recording of what they said or sang.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:34 AM

You can definitely do things to make your voice sound a little better.

Maybe something in the recording chain is colouring your voice in a very unflattering way.

Maybe you can smooth out the sound of your voice with some compression and/or a 4-band parametric EQ. In each band, set the bandwidth low and the gain high then sweep up and down to look for a nasty frequency. Cut that a little by reducing gain. Finally, try adjusting the bandwidth a little. Repeat until done.

It could be worth doing some voice exercises to learn to use your own voice well. Don't sing much myself but I know from playing flute that you need to push air out from your stomach to get a smooth, even volume.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

I am very aware of the mechanics of good singing. I'm a music teacher after all. My only concern is the sound of my voice on recording. Heck, I don't even like to call my house and hear the answering machine.

2010 NS72CE
1969 Gibson J-50-D
1967 Martin d-12-35
Peavey Millenium 4 Bass

http://www.youtube.com/user/partyofonemusic
Old 04-07-2011, 09:10 AM

Every time I record myself singing I'm appalled. And yet other people say it sounds good.

I don't know what it is.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyofone View Post

I consider myself, from what I hear in my head, a good singer. I mean, I'm a music teacher full time. Everytime I sit and record something, I almost immediately delete it. I HATE it.

Maybe it's just me.

Erik
I too am a music teacher and hate the sound of my own voice. Perhaps it's because our recorded voices don't sound the same as when we hear ourselves talk everyday. It's kind of like seeing pics of ourselves...the pics look backwards from the way we see ourselves in the mirror. If you find a solution, I'd sure like to know, too!
Old 04-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Yes, I agree. Even though I consider myself to have a good ear and good pitch, I generally do not like the sound of my voice recorded - speaking or singing.

MostlyElectric

Acoustic

Martin D18 (1970), Yamaha LS6
Old 04-07-2011, 10:10 AM

=================================================

Last edited by Pierrot; 04-07-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: autismo
Old 04-07-2011, 11:36 AM

Yea me too, I was just thinking about this the other day...

Here's a video of me singing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI2CLP0JV-w
Old 04-07-2011, 11:45 AM

I've never had a person say anything negative about my vocal performances, mind you they aren't musical teachers.... but I've only gotten positive comments from Karaoke to open mikes to house parties.... but I have the same issue where when I record myself... I don't like it. And when people are listening to a recording with my vocals and I'm right there I get really uncomfortable... it's an odd vulnerable feeling.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:40 PM

the only way I got past that was to record my voice A LOT - and listen back A LOT! Initially, I hated the sound of my voice. Eventually, I got to accept it... now, I even like it.

Also helped having ProTools with some great effects via UAD plugins. Amazing what a little reverb can do for one's self esteem. (And, I mean a LITTLE reverb, unless you want to sound like Jerry Lee Lewis)
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 AM

I like Rodger's reply.

And also the thought that it's like seeing yourself on video or in a picture (especially the first time)

Then too, most people first hear their voices recorded with bad gear in a bad space. I used to say cassette player on the living room coffee table, but cassette players are getting hard to find.

There's also the thing that when you speak, you're hearing your body vibrate in all kinds of places that no one ever does because they aren't in your body.

I'm OK with my speaking voice, I just wish I had better intonation while singing. Practice certainly helps and last summer I went to Claude Stein's "Natural Singer" class at the Omega Institute outside of Rhinebeck NY for a week-long class. That helped a lot.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:55 AM

I don't dislike hearing my own voice but I don't think it's that great. I was talking to someone once who asked me if I sing. I said no, but I chant readings in church (I was Eastern Orthodox at the time, and all services are chanted and/or sung). I got praise from several people at the church after I did my first "solo". She said that made sense since I have a nice voice.
Old 04-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by partyofone View Post
Yep. I suspect we are used to hearing our own voice with some of the sound of it traveling up thru our head to our eardrum. Sounds fuller that way.

On playback it's hard to get used to the sound of it for sure lol. The first time I heard a recording of me singing it was like 'crap I really sound weird'.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:41 PM

I feel the same way. In my head I sound decent but when I listen to records of myself I think it sounds terrible.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD