The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 05-13-2021, 10:51 AM

Default Things are about to get serious in the studio...

New arrival for spring 2021!

A big brother for my fearless little DSL40CR..

I have literally always wanted a Marshall setup like this. This thing roars..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:28 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Sounds like fun!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 05-13-2021, 12:30 PM

Nice! Hope you have some distance from the neighbors!
Old 05-13-2021, 01:21 PM

JVM210H - Congrats! I bought mine used 5-6 years ago and it's the amp I use most (although the past few weeks I've been playing my Vintage Modern). Way too many options for me though.

BTW, love that Les Paul hanging up on the wall. I'm a sucker for zebra pickups.
Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 PM

Arrow

That's some serious volume right there. I love the Marshall tone, although I don't have a Marshall amp. (well, I have an acoustic Marshall, but that ain't the same, is it? ) Maybe I'll wait until my hearing declines a bit, and I actually need that kind of volume.
Old 05-13-2021, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
...I have literally always wanted a Marshall setup like this. This thing roars...
If you're a real Marshall guy you owe it to yourself to find an old 200W Major head - make sure it's tubed with the original-style KT88's (6550's will work and they're easier to find, but they'll also cut the power by nearly half ) - and a cab that can comfortably handle it...

Look for a suitable outdoor location where you can - however briefly - open it up to its full potential...

Buddy of mine and I did just that about 40 years ago...

At SPL's where a 100-watter is beginning to get into the tone zone, this puppy wasn't even breaking a sweat - a 50-watt would've been a mere fart in the wind by comparison - and in the interest of preserving my hearing I decided to back off the throttle at that point...

Truth be told I've never really been a Marshall fan, but this one was/is in a separate universe - IME shared only by the equally iconic (and even more powerful) Ampeg SVT; classic, old-school four-input/non-master volume design and WYSIWYG tone stack - and unless you've been behind the wheel of a dragster, there's nothing else that compares to the feeling of raw, unbridled power...
Old 05-14-2021, 05:19 AM

I will never be in a situation where 50 watts wont do the job.

There is something about a les paul, and a marshall like this.

I'm loving that matchup. The amp sounds incredible.

trying to now sort out the foot switch programming.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-14-2021, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I will never be in a situation where 50 watts wont do the job.

There is something about a les paul, and a marshall like this.

I'm loving that matchup. The amp sounds incredible.

trying to now sort out the foot switch programming.
Les Paul into a Marshall is my favorite. Rock on!

As far as the footswitch goes, I forget how to program it but I set it once and I've never changed it.
Old 05-16-2021, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Les Paul into a Marshall is my favorite. Rock on!

As far as the footswitch goes, I forget how to program it but I set it once and I've never changed it.
it's easy, push the "footswitch/MIDI" button so it's lit, Not flashing, set the amp front panel buttons for channel/voice, reverb on/off footswitch on/off and master 1 or 2...

then just press the #1 ~ #4.

to reset, unplug the cable, press switch #4 and plug it back in. Press 1 or 2 to save, or 3 to wipe out your settings and go back to preset mode.

The DSL has a dedicated footswitch on/off which I think is a bit better setup for the Footswitch operation.

The JVMs have a dedicated button for the reverb, which I would have thought would have been wiser to assign the footswitch b/c the reverb is often always on.

But that quirk aside, man,,, I am in love with this amp.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-16-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
it's easy, push the "footswitch/MIDI" button so it's lit, Not flashing, set the amp front panel buttons for channel/voice, reverb on/off footswitch on/off and master 1 or 2...

then just press the #1 ~ #4.

to reset, unplug the cable, press switch #4 and plug it back in. Press 1 or 2 to save, or 3 to wipe out your settings and go back to preset mode.

The DSL has a dedicated footswitch on/off which I think is a bit better setup for the Footswitch operation.

The JVMs have a dedicated button for the reverb, which I would have thought would have been wiser to assign the footswitch b/c the reverb is often always on.

But that quirk aside, man,,, I am in love with this amp.
That sounds about right. I have the footswitch as: 1 clean, 2 moderate gain, 3 metal and 4 FX. It almost never moves off channel 2 with FX loop activated except when I go to clean. I'll use some OD pedals to tweak my tone and just step on my delay when I want that (it's in the FX loop).

I agree with the reverb - I'd prefer to have that on the footswitch.

Enjoy your JVM!
Old 05-17-2021, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That sounds about right. I have the footswitch as: 1 clean, 2 moderate gain, 3 metal and 4 FX. It almost never moves off channel 2 with FX loop activated except when I go to clean. I'll use some OD pedals to tweak my tone and just step on my delay when I want that (it's in the FX loop).

I agree with the reverb - I'd prefer to have that on the footswitch.

Enjoy your JVM!
I have come to the conclusion that the best setup is to program 1,2 and 4, and leave 3 (Master Volume assignment) as is. That gives 3 voices and a volume boost for leads.

This is probably what would work for me. The only pedals I plan on are a compressor, in line.. and a delay. Might add chorus at some point but I don't really use a lot of modulation kind of effects

I am digging this rig 100%.. Should have done this years ago.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 05-17-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I have come to the conclusion that the best setup is to program 1,2 and 4, and leave 3 (Master Volume assignment) as is. That gives 3 voices and a volume boost for leads.

This is probably what would work for me. The only pedals I plan on are a compressor, in line.. and a delay. Might add chorus at some point but I don't really use a lot of modulation kind of effects

I am digging this rig 100%.. Should have done this years ago.
I have an MXR Micro Amp in my FX loop that I use as a clean volume boost for leads... that must be why I don't have it set on my footswitch. That's a great option for the footswitch though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars