The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-18-2021, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I wish I'd known you were here!

Bob
Very cool light display on the boardwalk....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-20-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Was sitting on the sand at Virginia Beach today...
You win RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
Southwest France, we’ve been heating just in the evenings for the past month—but, the thermostat has started kicking on in the early morning, too, this week.

Fortunately, that’s about as cold as it gets here for winter (other than a few, isolated dips to freezing or just under).

It probably won’t be too much longer before the mountain tops (Pyrénées) we can see to the south end up snow covered, which is always nice (but at a distance — thank you very much ).
Hi Aimelie, the view of the Pyrenees must be beautiful. Worth putting on the heat once in a while
Old 11-20-2021, 08:16 AM
Charter Member

We have had a few scattered cold nights for the last two months or so where the heat would come for a short time late at night , but always warmed up during the day..
Just the last two weeks it has been colder 30's during day and the heat is starting to run intermittently during the daytime (mostly when it's cloudy) as are passive solar routinely heats up into the mid 70's when sunny regardless of the outside temps .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 11-20-2021, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

I like the change of seasons and look forward to each one. I don't mind the winter at all. We had a winter home in Puerto Rico for a while and I really missed it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 11-20-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

We hit -1 f two nights ago.

My outdoor "to do" list has shrunk to zero

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 11-20-2021, 11:48 AM
Charter Member

Total respect for you guys that live in places that get really cold winters...

We switched from a/c to heat mode a couple weeks ago when it got down to a frigid 45 degrees for one night...of course it is back in the high 70's down to low 50's now. Had to ditch the flip flops for the year, and put on socks and shoes...

Last winters' freak one week of snow and below freezing temps was enough for a lifetime for this old fella. I'm already looking forward to next Summer!
Old 11-21-2021, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Back to OP, it happens, thou knowest. We were in the mid-30s the others day.

Bob
Same here in N. Georgia. No can do without heat for the next few months.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Same here in N. Georgia. No can do without heat for the next few months.
Hey Ernie, what's the average cold temperature in Jan in N. Georgia? Not counting the dips and peaks, but on average, it's well above freezing?
Old 11-21-2021, 08:55 AM

Down here, where I stays, the greater Houston area, we have had several days, sometimes a week or more at a time of Chamber of Commerce days- mild day time temps and very pleasant if not a bit chilly evenings- many of the nights reminded me of the night I came up with this- <<<<(shameless self promotion ) my song book says I wrote it on November, 11, last year- my a/c comes on every once in a while during the day, less often in the evenings- it's on right now as I type this reply

According to my phone, the temp is 61F and hazy
Old 11-21-2021, 04:53 PM

Needing some heat for some nights as we had a few below (barely) freezing. Mostly trying to survive the ridiculous amount of water falling from the sky. Had some plans to drive to visit my brother, but ALL highways out of Vancouver (other than the one heading south to the U.S.) are dead. Killed by our atmospheric river. It is shocking how badly the roads were destroyed. One highway has 40 km (25 miles) completely destroyed - the roadway is gone.

We are talking months and months of work to repair. I ain't drivin' no where.

But yeah, the heat has come on.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 11-21-2021, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

It's supposed to go down (cold for us south east coast folks) to 25 at my river cabin by Wednesday night. So I gotta run out there and winterize the place before that happens. happens every year just never know when...early this year.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 11-22-2021, 04:53 AM

Well, last year at this time the lake was frozen and we were hoping the road plowing folks would show up so we could get out (and they did). This year, completely different! Zero ice, no snow, nice “warm” days so lots of time to finish up my fall to-do list. Winter will feel a lot shorter this year.
Old 11-22-2021, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

I like the changing seasons here in New Hampshire - including winter. While I don't mind the cold I don't like being cold so the heat has already been on for a month. And since we're about to retire right in the middle of the cold season at the end of December, I made sure that this year we would NOT be cold in our house by making several critical upgrades.

In the last two weeks I added two electric baseboard registers to the living room (to replace the ones I tore out when we first bought the house 30 years ago) and I also removed the wood stove in the living room and had a gas insert installed. So now as I sit here on a cool, late autumn morning typing, I have a little fire going that I 'started' with the push of a remote control. Ahhhh, toasty!
Old 11-22-2021, 08:18 AM

A bit nippy down here this AM- 54 as I type, but still no heater
Old 11-22-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Well, last year at this time the lake was frozen and we were hoping the road plowing folks would show up so we could get out (and they did). This year, completely different! Zero ice, no snow, nice “warm” days so lots of time to finish up my fall to-do list. Winter will feel a lot shorter this year.
Daniel, I like your signature quote: ”I miss 100% of the shots I take.” Dwayne Gretzky (Wayne’s less talented sibling).". A great take on Wayne's quote. Looks like you won't get any shots given the lake hasn't frozen over yet.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic