The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-14-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssstewart View Post
was a pretty fart smeller back in the day, travelled everywhere, held senior level positions with Lucent Tech/Memorex/Cap Gemini ( six sigma prac and Lean), etc etc. also did a few stints of public speaking (Dale Carnegie) and other motivational speaking gigs. Feet have been firmly planted in canada my home for last 15 years running a Pub/restaurant and Catering Firm. when i first came back made a decision that home/family was more important than money even though i had many offers from headhunters, made the right choice for me, no hindsight regrets.
I assume there’s good money in that, but do you have to be pretty?
Old 11-14-2021, 05:25 PM

Epidemiologist
Old 11-14-2021, 05:39 PM

41 years as a dentist in private practice. I just retired in March and am still contemplating the next act. It sure has been sweet going on sabbatical for the last seven months. I even practiced a little guitar!

Rick
Old 11-14-2021, 06:03 PM

40 years as a piano technician and restorer both at a large East Coast University plus private piano business and retail piano store owner.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Forty years in audio. I started in 1981 as a broadcast audio engineer and did stints in film sound, a soap opera, and a live daily talk show. By 1984 I settled into audio post production for film and video and worked my way into sound design. I've also been working as a recording engineer and producer for music and it has slowly become a huge part of my work. As a part of that work I've been playing guitar and synth for sessions as well.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-14-2021, 06:12 PM

CPA (Auditor) - Retired
Have been finger-pickin' guitar since 1973!
Love my mountain dulcimers too! (7 Mountain Dulcimers)

Old 11-14-2021, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I am a Sales Vice President for a large consumer products company (packaged
food). In order words - A corporate drone.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 11-14-2021, 06:26 PM

29+ years respiratory therapist.

Last edited by Lkristians; 11-14-2021 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Edited banned & crude content
Old 11-14-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

I tried a bunch of things (much to my dear parents’ despair), and ended up in a microbiology lab. As a physicist. Designing and building interesting lab equipment led to using computers for data collection, and eventually computer programming. Along the way I picked up a BS in Applied Physics.

The computer side of things led to a career in the industry - performance testing, tech support, consultant, and for the two decades prior to retirement last year, presales software support for some very fine companies.

By and large, I enjoyed it, but I do not miss it at all - while being very aware that the whole of that 40-year span has provided me with the retirement I now *really* enjoy
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-14-2021, 06:50 PM

Public School Teacher (K-12 over 30+ years)/Private Music Teacher/Adjunct College Instructor - retired in 2016...
Old 11-14-2021, 06:57 PM
Charter Member

I did media production for about 30 years. Primarily in medical education and corporate communication. Then ran a small video company for a dozen years before I retired a few years ago.
Old 11-14-2021, 06:58 PM

40 year career running my own insurance/financial business. Retired officially 1/31/21 and don't miss it at all.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:00 PM

I retired as a pharmacist in 2013. I work part-time doing graphic design for a non-profit organization.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-14-2021, 07:06 PM

At 70, I could have retired a couple of years ago, but I'm having too much fun drawing a paycheck from a software company. And I've been in the computer field since the early 1980s.

Oddly enough, I wasn't real good at math in my younger years, although I did well in music theory. Having programmed computers and worked in many aspects of the field, I began to see how music and math are two sides of the same coin, and have improved my knowledge of both. I just ordered a DVD on "Mathematics and Logic," so I hope to continue to improve. Because I'm not yet ready to retire.
Old 11-14-2021, 07:12 PM

In 2022, I'll mark 45 years in the Diagnostic Imaging business of healthcare. I've worked in manufacturing, engineering, field service, technical support, training and for the last 12 years I've worked for a global company managing the imaging equipment service for a major hospital.

For most of those years, I had an Associate Degree in Electronics. In 2009, I earned my Bachelors in Business Management after 13 years of night and weekend school. This year, I acquired a Masters Degree in Healthcare Management at the age of 66.

Now I'm 67. I plan to work until 70 at least as long as employers want me around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic