The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-19-2021, 05:06 AM

Default Line array as monitor (for large band)

Last night, my large band (2 acoustic-electric, 2 electric, 2 bass, keys, electronic drums, vocals x7) played an outdoor event. In our practice space, we have FOH facing us. We do have am IEM setup with a nice headphone amp. However, I wanted to expedite setup time. Fearing the wedge issue that always arises -- they're too low, have to be cranked to the max, only the one person right next to it hears it, and 3/4 the band can't hear themselves at all, I decided to try my Yamaha Stagepas 1K out in front of us, and facing us. We were spread across a concrete pad probably 45 feet across. The line array was about 22' away from our center line up front. Everyone in the band (except the drummer) was able to hear themselves just fine. The drummer was another 15' behind the front center line. Our bass players' amps and one guitar amp was back in his peripheral. Luckily, he can run one ear from his kit to hear himself and listen with the other hear to hear the rest of the band.

The 170° dispersion really worked well. We were able to have our mix cranked while not blowing out the crowd who were talking and eating at first. Later, we cranked the FOH.
Old 09-19-2021, 07:34 AM

Great idea!
Here's a shot of recent Dead and Company show - Notice the 3 Bose Arrays

Old 09-20-2021, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
Great idea!
Here's a shot of recent Dead and Company show - Notice the 3 Bose Arrays

Very cool!! From a wall of sound to 3 small lines of sound...
Old 09-22-2021, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

I have the Bose L1 Model II, so I can't speak to other systems from various manufacturers. but one thing I've noticed that is consistent is that EVERY band that uses a line-array-type unit for monitors has the thing BEHIND them, not in front facing back.

With my Bose rig, I have to constantly remember that it doesn't "work" like regular speakers - that so long as the speaker column covers the target area within it's 180 degree dispersion pattern, EVERYONE is gonna hear it at the same volume.

Seems it would, in part, defeat the purpose of the unit to have it turned around towards the band...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-22-2021, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
I have the Bose L1 Model II, so I can't speak to other systems from various manufacturers. but one thing I've noticed that is consistent is that EVERY band that uses a line-array-type unit for monitors has the thing BEHIND them, not in front facing back.

With my Bose rig, I have to constantly remember that it doesn't "work" like regular speakers - that so long as the speaker column covers the target area within it's 180 degree dispersion pattern, EVERYONE is gonna hear it at the same volume.

Seems it would, in part, defeat the purpose of the unit to have it turned around towards the band...
I'm running 6000 watts FOH. That's the difference.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

So you figure you're running more FOH wattage than Dead and Company? Seriously?

We're only talking about having the unit as a stage monitor, right?
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification