The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-13-2021, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Default recording different string gauges

Rick Beato posted a very well done experiment on his YouTube last week. Using the same guitar, we hear it recorded both strummed and finger-picked using 4 different string gauges... 10s, 11s, 12s, and 13s.

I've been playing sets that are a 12/13 mix, with the lighter strings used for the G, B, and high E. Hearing this has me thinking about that now.

The clips aren't back to back in the beginning, but later in the video when they're listening to the recordings, they are.

2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-13-2021, 11:06 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I agree with them that the light gauges sound better here (this guitar, these players, that mic, right where it is). I usually use anything from .11s to .13s depending on the guitar and what I'm trying to do. I might try some .10s on the 00 next time.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-14-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ffr0 View Post
I usually use anything from .11s to .13s depending on the guitar and what I'm trying to do.
What is best for one person, may not be the best for another. As j3ffr0 pointed out, it all depends on the the guitar, & the desired outcome.
However, it just may be that the most important factor for string gauges is the players style.
In my "There is No Such Thing as Best Theory" I often quote the time when a dear friend of mine came over and played my two best guitars. They were exactly the same except the back and sides. One was Walnut and the other Rosewood. When my friend played the Walnut, he clearly sounded the best on that guitar. No contest. We both agreed. When I played the two guitars, the Rosewood sounded leaps and bounds better in my hands. Again, we easily both agreed on that as well.
I Originally started out with .11's years ago. By accident I tried a set of .12's and immediately noticed an improved tone for my style. Then I went up to .13's and found the best sound and response for my percussive style.
In the last six months I have moved up to a hi-bred string set. I am using three different manufacturers. While my basic set up is in the standard medium gauge, I am using a .14 by one manufacturer (that clearly gives me the extra bite I needed for my high E) with the play-ability of a standard .13.
I love a good music comparison video. Who doesn't. It helps to guide us in new directions. However, we must also remember that these comparisons will vary for each of us and our playing styles, and how hard we pluck the string.
Old 08-14-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
Rick Beato posted a very well done experiment on his YouTube last week. Using the same guitar, we hear it recorded both strummed and finger-picked using 4 different string gauges... 10s, 11s, 12s, and 13s.

I've been playing sets that are a 12/13 mix, with the lighter strings used for the G, B, and high E. Hearing this has me thinking about that now.

The clips aren't back to back in the beginning, but later in the video when they're listening to the recordings, they are.

Rick Beato's an interesting guy, a bit of a recording/playing/theory renaissance man. His conclusions about this particular thing aren't quite the same as mine.

Strumming, I think 12's on my main recording guitar (70s Ibanez) sound best. But I could go a shade in either direction in a pinch if it's a Sunday night and that's all I've got. But fingerpicking (usually on my Martin 016) anything lighter than 12's makes it sound like a toy, and anything heavier than 12's would make it collapse. Flatpicking on the Ibanez, though, is where you really hear the shadings. String gauge, string age, pick stiffness and material, proximity to the bridge, attack angle... they all matter a lot.

I think if he spent more time concentrating on acoustic, he'd have his opinions more dialed in. He has offered up thoughts in the past on bass playing and recording, as well. He's not much of a bass player.

Couch Standards
Old 08-14-2021, 12:36 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned in the prior thread on this video the playing was very weak on the treble strings so pretty hard to evaluate the plain strings. Also mono recording not the best for recording a solo guitar and judging it's sound.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-14-2021, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Also mono recording not the best for recording a solo guitar and judging it's sound.
I kinda feel like you want to judge the instrument by recording it the way you're actually going to use it. Mono for him, mono for me, stereo for you.

Couch Standards
Old 08-14-2021, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
I kinda feel like you want to judge the instrument by recording it the way you're actually going to use it. Mono for him, mono for me, stereo for you.
Of course. However stereo is how you hear it live with your ears (assuming both ears are working).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD