The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2021, 05:55 PM

I finally got a copy of Guy Clark's biography Without Getting Killed or Caught (I've had it on my birthday, father's day, Christmas list for a few years).

So far a very good read.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
In my quest to read all the classics that I missed in my youth, I have now landed on Melville's Moby Dick. I am enjoying it a lot more than I expected and truly appreciate his descriptive genius.
I've been on the same path the past few years..read a bunch of Twain, Steinbeck, some Michener...
You're a better person than me; I read Moby Dick and couldn't wait to finish it...it just seemed like it took him sooo long to say next to nothing.(except the narrative about stripping a whale; his description put me right there)...
Old 07-19-2021, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Trejo would be an interesting read. I like his character in movies (scary dude) and I think it's "what you see if what you get". I recall reading an interview from him a few years ago where he said he was in a gang back in the 70s and spent time in prison but he managed to turn things around and help others.
He recently said in an interview he mostly plays bad guys that get theirs in the end...to teach younger folks that crime don't pay and you reap what you sow...he also said that he believes every good thing that's ever happened to him is because he'd done something for someone else...

And...he starred in the greatest Snickers commercial ever!
Old 07-19-2021, 06:41 AM

just finished "Night Work" by Steve Hamilton- described as hair-raising suspense- I wouldn't go that far, but, it was a good story-

just started, "Forgotten Tales of Texas" by Clay Coppedge- very entertaining and informative-
Old 07-19-2021, 06:44 AM

A few months back I read, "Green Lights" by Matthew McConaughey- he's had an interesting life-
Old 07-20-2021, 04:47 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I have been reading "The Long Ships" by Frans G. Bengtsson about Norsemen from the tenth century AD. It's about a 500-page adventure saga of a warrior named Red Orm, his family and friends over his life.

We are used to books that are big on character development, and this book is not that. It's an adventure story with rather light character development. But now that we are used to it and we are on our last 20 pages of the book, we agree that it's been an interesting read.

You do have to adjust your sense of humor and sensibilities for the time and the warrior culture so that you don't mind heads on sticks and such. The writer and the translator from the original Swedish both have a pretty good sense of humor.

- Glenn
Old 07-20-2021, 05:27 PM
Guest 928

I've just finished Walter Moseley's The Last Days of Ptolemy Grey. It's very different from his Easy Rawlin's and an interesting take on growing old.

I've just started The Substance of Civilization, a history of the materials used by humans from the stone age to the age of silicon.

All the light and Stargazer are on my list.

I like to alternate fiction with non-fiction.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:55 PM

Just finished Nomadland, interesting book about the working poor in US, mostly living in cars, RVs etc.

Next up is Papillon by Henri Charriere.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:13 AM

Just finished Carrie Brownstein's Hunger Makes Me a Modern Girl - her memoir about her Sleater-Kinney years. It was OK, like most "rock bio" books it eventually slides into that repetitive "we made an album and then we did a tour" thing. Not much new there if you've already read other books like this. I did learn one thing: Carrie's definitely not a Pet Person!

Currently on Bagman, Rachael Maddow's account of the scandal surrounding Spiro Agnew's resignation as Vice-President under Nixon. The obvious things here are the similarities between Agnew and Trump, in style if not in substance. She hammers away at that a bit too much early in the book, but eventually it settles into a pretty good retelling of the corruption investigation that led to Agnew's downfall.

I'm about half way thru it now. We'll see where it goes ...

---

Last edited by Highroller; 07-21-2021 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:38 AM

Just finished Max Hastings "Vietnam," which while excellent was a bit of a brutal read. So as I need something completely different, I'm starting John Updike's "Rabbit, Run."
Old 07-21-2021, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCCougar View Post
All the Light We Cannot See

One of the best I've ever read (and I've read a lot).

YES!! This book is one of the best I’ve read as well.

Old 07-21-2021, 10:47 AM

A little anthropology refresher for me:

Old 07-21-2021, 10:51 AM

Currently listening to the Rising Strong audiobook by Brené Brown. Her work on vulnerability and courage has been transformative for me over the years, and I’m also a huge fan of both of her podcasts, Unlocking Us and Dare to Lead. 100% recommend!

IMG_1626885901.515920.jpg

Old 07-21-2021, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
just finished "Night Work" by Steve Hamilton- described as hair-raising suspense- I wouldn't go that far, but, it was a good story-

just started, "Forgotten Tales of Texas" by Clay Coppedge- very entertaining and informative-
If you enjoyed Night Work and haven't read Steve Hamilton's The Lock Artist, give it a try. I think it's Hamilton's best.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-21-2021, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Currently reading All the King’s Men by Robert Penn Warren.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic