The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-30-2020, 05:19 PM

Default Doff Guitars…I took the plunge!

I have been looking for a small body, short scale, nylon string guitar for some time. I have especially been drawn to the Romantic era, 19th century instruments, so I was pleasantly surprised to see their offerings.

I was going to go for the 017 classical, with solid spruce top and solid maple b/s. But then I asked them what type of rosewood they use for their 037 model, and they said “Madagascar.” I’m not an expert on these things, but what I read about Madagascar on the “Goodall” web site and others, was very positive. So I decided to go with the 037, seen here: https://doffguitar.com/shop/guitars/...ff037/?lang=en

I saw they advertised a custom shop, so I asked for an ebony fretboard and a truss rod. They accommodated for just a modest increase in the price. Delivery is promised in 1 to 2 months.

Of the two guitars I have, the Cordoba scale is a bit too short (580 mm / 22.8 in) and the Aria is a bit too long (650 mm / 25.6 in). So much of the attraction to the Doff is the 037 comes with a 610 mm (24 in) scale. I am hoping this will be my optimum scale for comfort.

I have to say I was very pleased with how quickly they responded to all my questions. Even with the time difference, they always got back to me the same day. When they received my payment, they said; “We will start building your guitar tomorrow!” The guitars have received some decent reviews, in particular from Rob Mackillop. I also liked what I read about their philosophy. They decided to build instruments true to their history, and preserve the tradition of their country’s instruments.

I have been playing quite a bit during this pandemic and learning new music, but it has been frustrating since neither of my guitars are giving me a rewarding experience. So it’s exciting to know that something is in the works. I am hopeful and enjoying this journey!
Old 04-18-2021, 04:45 PM

Have you received it?
MLJ Parlor #27 / Eastman E2-CD / Silvertone 604 / Egmond 60's parlor / Journey OF660 / Martin Custom D / Santa Cruz D Pre War / Doff Classical / Takamine 12
Old 04-18-2021, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Wow that looks pretty cool, congrats! Look forward to your review MikeB1
Old 04-18-2021, 08:47 PM

Yes, I did receive the guitar. The company kept their timeline promise to ship within 2 months. The two customizations I requested, the ebony fretboard and addition of a truss rod were done. The tracking did go dark for some time in customs, but I was expecting delays there. This was no fault of the company, and they were very responsive and tried to help find out where the item was.

I like the way the guitar looks. The size is nice for me and the neck feels comfortable.

There was a post here on AGF prior to my purchase indicating that the person needed to change the tuners on their guitar. So I went into this willing to do that in order to get a small body, short scale instrument. The tuners that come with the instrument are real peg tuners and they were simply not keeping the guitar in tune. So I really haven't had a chance to play it yet.

I replaced the tuners with "PEGHEADS." By the way, Chuck Herin is great to work with. Now the guitar is with my friend, who is a guitar tech, for a set up. At this time, I am still optimistic.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:37 AM

I bought a classical cutaway from them a year or two ago

I thought it was amazing and and an amazing deal.

Now that I’ve been learning how to construct guitars i realize my feelings about it have changed
It was braced like a tank and I’m finding more and more things out about it

Already needs a neck reset, the neck angle was never proper.
They do sell some guitars with bolt on adjustable necks which i would highly suggest getting

I’ve modified the braces over the years and it now has alittle more depth to it instead of sounding like a banjo guitar hybrid
Came with plastic nut and saddle despite being listed as bone so that was the first thing i ever changed on it

Its a great guitar to learn how to do certain jobs on, i will use it to learn how to do my first neck reset on

it is pretty amazing how low the cost was for the one i bought. i also love how thin the finish is on mine.
Old 04-19-2021, 11:27 AM

Yes, I would agree with LemonCats.

If I understand correctly, it sounds like you're saying that you adjusted your expectations based on the low cost. That is what I did. Getting a good Romantic Era style instrument with the specs I want has been impossible.

Eventually, I will commission a reproduction from a luthier experienced with this type of instrument. But before I invested what would be a considerable some, I wanted to do some research and investigate what type of specifications are my preference.

As for Doff, I think I would recommend going with one of their models with traditional tuners, unless you're prepared to invest in the "gear-type PEGHEADS."

By the way, how do you go about modifying the braces?

Frameworks, Nylon, 2022
Old 04-19-2021, 12:50 PM

I keep thinking of Duff beer.

scott
Old 04-20-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
By the way, how do you go about modifying the braces?
Working through the soundhole unfortunately, I also asked them to install a pickup when I ordered it; When it got here the pickup didn't work so I removed it and luckily that gave me an extra hole/angle to work at the braces from aswell as an unofficial side 'soundhole' haha. Which i actually like, you really can hear the tone better with a sideport.

Used a finger plane to reshape the braces and then sandpaper to clean up/smooth out the work. Took alot of time and bruised up my wrists. And I'm still only 2/3rds of the way where I'd want to be. I just literally cant reach the braces at the lower bout working this way and I need to take out about three of them and smooth the others.

Whenever I can afford the tools and get around to the neck reset I'm thinking I might take the back off to get full access to the braces. Although why would I invest all this time into something like this? Its a labor of love for sure and also a great learning experience. But with the cost of all the tools It's going to be awhile until I can afford them and I honestly think Id rather just build a new guitar from scratch.

It does sound alot better with the work I was able to do it. Definitely anyone should be well aware of these downfalls before ordering a doff. Expect what they cost. Great learner instruments for diy luthiers and people who want to experiment with stuff like 7 string guitar music etc

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion