The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Fingerboard treatment

What is your opinion on oiling or otherwise treating your acoustic guitar fingerboard with guitar polish or something else? Thanks!

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 04-19-2021, 01:22 PM

This discussion comes up like clockwork: there are literally hundreds of previous discussion of this exact topic.

The answers you'll get is you can put anything you want on your fingerboard, from vegetable oil, to 3-in-1, to WD40, to linseed oil to bore oil to proprietary for-guitar-fingerboard products.

You'll also get answers saying don't put anything on your fingerboard. The wood is dead and doesn't need to be "fed".

In short, do whatever you like. There is no consensus, even amongst guitar makers. Consider it like religion where people are free to adhere to whatever belief they want.
Old 04-19-2021, 01:26 PM
Musical minimalist

I'd recommend Tim Micknight's new product. Works great.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=600972

I've also used Lizard Spit for many years with great results.

I treat my fingerboard about once ever six months....a dab'll do ya, even here in the frozen north.

0000 steel wool first, then apply the treatment and let it set for a while (Tim's product actually says 24 hours) then rub it out really good with a terry cloth or similar fabric. Make sure you go along the frets as well and get the junk out of the edges (you'll be surprised how much works it's way in there!)

Old 04-19-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil0021 View Post
What is your opinion on oiling or otherwise treating your acoustic guitar fingerboard with guitar polish or something else? Thanks!
Once or twice a year I treat the fretboard with lemon oil which I apply after I cleaned the fretboard with a dry cloth. I let it "sink in" for a couple of hours then wipe off all the excess. Been doing it for more than 30 years on all my guitars. I can't say it's doing any good but I've never had any issue either. No lifted frets, no cracks, no necks to be re-setted.
Ibanez Ragtime 460
Daion L999
Kinkade 12Strings Custom
L. Maggi 12Strings Custom
P. Bernabe E8
H. Godvinez
Fender Dobro
HB Resonator
Baton Rouge Tricone
Ovation Celebrity
Cort L900 Parlour
Epiphone Emperor
Epiphone Sheraton 2
Fender Tele
Old 04-19-2021, 01:47 PM

Default Super salve?

Humm??? After looking up the new "fretboard revival" product mentioned above I realized it looked just like "Super Salve" which I have used for over 30 years for my hands/skin for rowing grand canyon river trips. I wonder if it would be a good fretboard lube? Maybe I will give it a go on my river guitar and see how it does? It is all organic oils and beeswax. Here is link and you can see the ingredients. https://supersalve.com/collections/s...ts/super-salve
Old 04-19-2021, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Used to apply lemon oil with every string change, but came to realize that is excessive, esp for ebony. About once every 2 years is plenty. Even at that, i apply sparingly, and only if it soaks it up do I apply a little more n
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-19-2021, 02:23 PM

I use Fret Doctor. It lasts forever and only needs a few drops for the whole fingerboard/bridge. Also darkens it up nicely. It's the only oil I will use on wood.

https://beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm
Old 04-19-2021, 02:26 PM

I use Taylor's fretboard oil about every 6-12 months, depending on laziness. I don't know if it needs it (never actually had a fretboard show any problems due to dryness) but it sure looks better for it.
Old 04-19-2021, 03:11 PM

I used Fret Doctor for the first time a few days ago. I’d purchased it about 8 months ago and left town for the winter shortly afterward.
I did a lot of reading and research before deciding on Fret Doctor and like another poster said, just a few drops does the fret board and bridge,. It looks like new, beautiful and black on my ebony fret board and the rosewood guitar fretboard looks like new as well.
There are many options but lemon oil in particular seemed to get a bad review by many saying it can ruin the glue bond between the fretboard and neck. Others like mineral oil had drawbacks too but I don’t remember specifically what it was.
Fret Doctor is sold only on line by the manufacturer and I’ve yet to see anyone disparage it.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:39 PM

Follow-up question: Is a Martin fingerboard finished in any way, or is it bare naked?

1973 Martin 0021
2011 Martin D-28P
2021 Martin SC13E
Old 04-19-2021, 05:48 PM

Mineral oil maybe once a year, wipe on wipe off. I do the bridge as well.
Old 04-19-2021, 05:48 PM

I never put anything on my fingerboard.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:10 PM

I've used a few products over the past 40+ years - Howard's, mineral oil, lemon oil....
Never had a fret pop out.

I just started using music nomad f‑one oil based on a recommendation here on the AGF. It seems fine.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:22 PM

S.C.Johnson paste wax; a little dab will do ya'.
Old 04-19-2021, 08:46 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I use Holloway House "lemon oil for fine woods" on mine once a year or so if I think of it. I keep the guitars humidified so drying out isn't an issue. I'll put a small amount on a cloth, spread it on and then wipe off the excess.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion