The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 04-11-2014, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post

Here is the Wenge finished in Tru-Oil on the left and sanded with a wax application on the right. I am not so sure that I like the contrast mismatch. We will need to think about this. Keep in mind that the photo may be exaggerating this a bit based upon lighting and exposure.

The problem with Tru-Oil and woods with deep large pores is that the pores reflect a lot of light rather unattractively. Other wipe on finishes like General's Arm-R-Seal come in different sheens and can combat those shiny pores. Sometimes it doesn't dry well over some woods though so I like to use Ace Hardware's Polyurethane varnish (which has a lot of oil in it) thinned with paint thinner 50/50. You can use the gloss on your first coats and finish with 2-3 coats of semi-gloss. The resulting finish is much like the old oak finishes but a little more durable and resists sweat damage better, too. I sand with 320 gold paper between coats and 800 before the last coat. If you want you can apply a good quality paste wax when you're done for a real vintage look but I don't use it on the top. Here's and example of this type of finish. http://www.franklinguitars.com/Site/Mendocello.html
Old 04-11-2014, 03:49 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks

I am sure that your note will mean more to Kent than to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Franklin View Post
The problem with Tru-Oil and woods with deep large pores is that the pores reflect a lot of light rather unattractively. Other wipe on finishes like General's Arm-R-Seal come in different sheens and can combat those shiny pores. Sometimes it doesn't dry well over some woods though so I like to use Ace Hardware's Polyurethane varnish (which has a lot of oil in it) thinned with paint thinner 50/50. You can use the gloss on your first coats and finish with 2-3 coats of semi-gloss. The resulting finish is much like the old oak finishes but a little more durable and resists sweat damage better, too. I sand with 320 gold paper between coats and 800 before the last coat. If you want you can apply a good quality paste wax when you're done for a real vintage look but I don't use it on the top. Here's and example of this type of finish. http://www.franklinguitars.com/Site/Mendocello.html
Old 04-11-2014, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Default The fingerboard markers have begun

Many features on the guitar are moving the surfaces "in" (backstrip, fingerboard markers and headplate logo) and "out" (end graft, rosette and truss rod cover). Here is a series of images of the insets for the fingerboard marker pockets being fabricated using a pin router. The markers will be flamed catalpa as well.

Pin router pattern...

Pattern cut into the wenge board...

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Ken. I have a different idea that wouldn't involve using an unfamiliar product but I may give you a call if we got that route. Your finish looks great, by the way.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:12 AM

I'm really enjoying this thread, Kent. New territory.
Old 04-12-2014, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I'm really enjoying this thread, Kent. New territory.
And I'm being tortured by this thread. The updates are coming too infrequently!

I'm. It a patient person and not seeing the final results is driving me mad!!!

I cannot wait to see the fretboard inlays...they're going to be spectabulous!
Old 04-13-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecguitar44 View Post
And I'm being tortured by this thread. The updates are coming too infrequently!
I feel the same way!

I have a few other things going at the moment but I will make some serious progress this week.

In the mean time, I can show you other progress. W. D., here's the guitar that yours inspired. Pretty much the only change was the slotted headstock.

I've got an Engelmann/Cocobolo Concert ready to ship tomorrow too. Will try to get some photos of that one as well.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Humanist

Me like....
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 04-14-2014, 02:38 AM
Charter Member

Yes, I suppose the thread is longer than most because I wanted to include the design aspects of creating these instruments which frequently is not included by posters. It also has taken a long time because of non-standard nature of the design and trial and error of trying new things in a build (enlightened empiricism). There was only so much that could be designed on paper prospectively and much was left to decision being made in the quiet of a shop with a luthier holding the wood.

I will tell you working together with Kent from initial concept through the implementation of details has been a great pleasure in both design collaboration and communication. He has been designing this for me since last autumn on top of other builds like the one he just shared out of passion and interest. I will create a separate thread for build #100 which will be a different take on this design theme...

I suspect the promised fingerboard and beyond will make an appearance this week.

:-)
Old 04-14-2014, 10:33 AM

And here's the Engelman/Cocobolo Concert. This wood combo is one of my favorites for my own style of playing. I took all these photos inside last night and the light was not great....

I built one of these for Trevor's store last year and I think he was the one who suggested the koa binding. It was a good idea.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

Default Update from the Left Coast

Kent has crafted the fingerboard for #99...The wenge is from the same wood lot as the back and sides. It looks darker than the body right now only because it has been sanded finer at this point.

Here's the fingerboard, headplate and backstrip together...The inset patterns both harmonize and are reflective of the style.

We think EVO Gold wire will match the look well...Likely some Schertler tuners with custom buttons to come.

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 04-19-2014 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Fret wire & side markers

Kent installed some EVO Gold fret wire and some catalpa side markers today...

My eyes are too poor and my fingers are too clumsy to either be a luthier (side markers are tiny pieces of catalpa)

Last edited by iim7V7IM7; 04-20-2014 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:11 PM

In the mean time, I can show you other progress. W. D., here's the guitar that yours inspired. Pretty much the only change was the slotted headstock.

Wow, Kent, that is spectacular! Love the slotted headstock. You may recall my guitar (#81 --same wood combo) also has a Sexauer-inspired hybrid cutaway. The ziricote on the new guitar is gorgeous and I so like the fingerboard. Also, the ebony rosette and binding compliments the spidering in the ziricote in an understated but wonderfully classic manner. Great work! My guitar continues to mature both in sound and appearance (i.e. the redwood top.) It is a treasured instrument, and the owner of your new creation will surely be thrilled as well.

The Engelmann/Cocobolo is also beautiful, and of course your new craftsman creation is inspiring.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:52 AM
Charter Member

Default Experimenting with a Truss Rod Cover

Here are 3-variations on a truss rod cover. It will most likely be screwed via the back of the headstock. The original idea was to try to mimmick the end grain that you see in mortise & tenon construction.

The wenge Kent has has a lots of curvature to its end grain so we may be rethinking this one (tbd).

Here are two alternatives (not in end grain): 1) with straight grained wenge and 2) with straight grained catalpa.

I think that we will wait until some additional details are complete before deciding.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hey guys the guitar looks fantastic! Love the A&C theme and how well its all coming together.

Kent, Out of curiosity, did you pore fill the Wenge FB or do you plan to just oil it ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop