The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2021, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
Season 3 of Hanna just started.

And of course, The Beatles Get Back starts in 2 days!
I’m gonna have to pick up Disney Plus for that, for sure.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 11-25-2021, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Wife and I are catching up to The Blacklist. Currently wasting our time on season 8. It’s like reading a bad book that you gotta finish just on principles.
Hey Daniel, I just subscribed to Netflix so I could watch The Blacklist Season 8. I like to go into each season of shows I watch fresh and not knowing anything about it. No spoilers but it's not nearly as good as other seasons. I'm on Episode 12. It did get better from the early season though. The show had a great run. Not sure if there's a season 9 planned?
Old 11-25-2021, 07:12 AM

Blacklist Season 9 is airing now.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:15 AM

Bad Blood, on Netflix- about the Canadian Mafia, based on a true story- it's kind of like the Godfather, but Canadian-

Interestingly, one of the main characters is kind of into guitars.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Blacklist Season 9 is airing now.
I guess I'll watch it when it hits Netflix. Based on previously years, it will be next Oct/Nov.
Old 11-25-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

Wife has been binge watching lots of older shows.

Finished The Closer, now into Major Crimes.

Went through Truth Be Told. And Murder Only In The Building.

Have been patiently waiting for Get Back. Today is the day.
Old 11-25-2021, 11:35 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Deep Space Nine. I watched Star Trek:Enterprise, then Star Trek Next Generation. When I'm finished with DS9 I'm going to watch the original series and then watch all of the movies to date.

Star Trek:Enterprise stands out a bit more from the others. Too bad it had such a poor ending.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
We just knocked off Season 1 of Ozark. I had watched them all by myself but it took a friend to my convince my wife to watch.

Just as good the second time around…
Season 4 comes out on 1/21/2022. Can't wait.
Old 11-25-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Deep Space Nine. I watched Star Trek:Enterprise, then Star Trek Next Generation. When I'm finished with DS9 I'm going to watch the original series and then watch all of the movies to date.

Star Trek:Enterprise stands out a bit more from the others. Too bad it had such a poor ending.
I enjoyed Enterprise. I was surprised when the plug was pulled after just 4 seasons but they weren't getting the viewership. I liked the arc with the Xindi but I think it had to get rushed after the news that the show wasn't going to be renewed. Unfortunate last episode.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:08 AM

Watching a show on Neanderthals and wildlife. It’s called Tiger King.
Old 11-26-2021, 08:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
FYI, Margaret Qualley is the real life daughter of actress Andie MacDowell ("Groundhog Day"), who plays her mother in "Maid" (the little girl is unrelated, AFAIK). She played one of the hippies at Spawn Ranch in QT's "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" and is an accomplished ballet dancer, but seems to be making the successful transition into acting.

She was wonderful in "Maid," which got its title based on the best selling book, "Maid: Hard Work, Low Pay, and a Mother's Will to Survive." It's based on the true life accounts written in the book. I really enjoyed this limited series and highly recommend it.
I wasn’t overly optimistic, but we dove into Maid and thought it was outstanding. It treated the issue of domestic abuse with a thoughtful non-sensational presentation. I thought it was pretty creative and the acting performances were very good. Thanks to all who recommended this one.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:57 AM

Default Foundation series—viewed and reviewed (spoiler free)

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...&postcount=244

In response to the above (from the previous and now closed “what are you watching” thread)— for “catdaddy” in particular…

Some thoughts on “Foundation” the Apple TV series based on the books by Isaac Asimov:

Fantastic, absolutely sumptuous (visually speaking), the series is on par with the very best sci-fi films meant for movie theaters (and apparently with a budget to match). There is an attention to detail in every single scene along with what I am sure are Easter Eggs meant for sci-fi fans (ranging from the film/Carl Sagan book “Contact” to the PC game, Homeworld).

To say that it is a feast for the eyes is not saying enough.

Story wise, some might find the multiple storylines challenging just as much as the non-linear timelines. For me, this is a big plus and I was delighted that as a viewer I was given the respect of not being a dim bulb unable to follow along.

Lovers of Asimov’s books risk being dissatisfied, maybe. The series takes liberties with the seminal works, borrowing here and there to create a series that might be most appropriately qualified as being “inspired by” rather than a rigid retelling of the novels.

Asimov, himself, noted that Foundation was unwieldy and lacked a necessary sense of suspense. This television series fixes that, but at the expense of it being more of cinematic translation of the books rather than an effort at bringing them unchanged to the screen (which almost anyone who has read the books can recognize as a largely impossible feat).

Bearing all of that in mind, I have to say that I loved it to pieces and am so looking forward to next season, I can hardly wait.

Intelligent, well acted, eye wateringly beautiful, and maybe occasionally lacking in some relief from the oh-so-serious tone, it sounds like it was pitched to Apple as requiring 80 episodes.

Based on this first season, I’m perfectly fine with that. Highly recommended!

Old 11-29-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...&postcount=244

In response to the above (from the previous and now closed “what are you watching” thread)— for “catdaddy” in particular…

Some thoughts on “Foundation” the Apple TV series based on the books by Isaac Asimov:

Fantastic, absolutely sumptuous (visually speaking), the series is on par with the very best sci-fi films meant for movie theaters (and apparently with a budget to match). There is an attention to detail in every single scene along with what I am sure are Easter Eggs meant for sci-fi fans (ranging from the film/Carl Sagan book “Contact” to the PC game, Homeworld).

To say that it is a feast for the eyes is not saying enough.

Story wise, some might find the multiple storylines challenging just as much as the non-linear timelines. For me, this is a big plus and I was delighted that as a viewer I was given the respect of not being a dim bulb unable to follow along.

Lovers of Asimov’s books risk being dissatisfied, maybe. The series takes liberties with the seminal works, borrowing here and there to create a series that might be most appropriately qualified as being “inspired by” rather than a rigid retelling of the novels.

Asimov, himself, noted that Foundation was unwieldy and lacked a necessary sense of suspense. This television series fixes that, but at the expense of it being more of cinematic translation of the books rather than an effort at bringing them unchanged to the screen (which almost anyone who has read the books can recognize as a largely impossible feat).

Bearing all of that in mind, I have to say that I loved it to pieces and am so looking forward to next season, I can hardly wait.

Intelligent, well acted, eye wateringly beautiful, and maybe occasionally lacking in some relief from the oh-so-serious tone, it sounds like it was pitched to Apple as requiring 80 episodes.

Based on this first season, I’m perfectly fine with that. Highly recommended!

Thanks so much for the insightful, detailed review!! I'll be subscribing to Apple TV on your recommendation of the series.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-29-2021, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdjjr View Post
Bad Blood, on Netflix- about the Canadian Mafia, based on a true story- it's kind of like the Godfather, but Canadian-

Interestingly, one of the main characters is kind of into guitars.
We like a lot of dark stuff like homicide investigations, mafia and so on. Based on your recommendation, plowed through Season One of Bad Blood over the weekend. That all kind of wrapped itself up, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes next season.

Sorta like rock veteran John Butcher's songwriting, it's very derivative. But like I said, we like mob stuff however it is contrived. The structure is rather Godfather-esque, the narrative borders on Goodfellas, and the characters are juxtapositional like Sopranos. Leading us to say things like:
"Okay, that's obviously Tony."
"He's Henry Hill and Sil."
"Bruno plays like Tom Hagen had a baby with Rudy Giuliani."

Thanks for the tip, gonna start S2 probably tonight.

----------------------------

Edit added 12-4-21:
Finished both seasons of Bad Blood and hope to see some more someday.

Last edited by tinnitus; 12-04-2021 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-29-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Daniel, I just subscribed to Netflix so I could watch The Blacklist Season 8. I like to go into each season of shows I watch fresh and not knowing anything about it. No spoilers but it's not nearly as good as other seasons. I'm on Episode 12. It did get better from the early season though. The show had a great run. Not sure if there's a season 9 planned?
If you thought Season 8 was of lesser quality then just skip Season 9 entirely as that show jumped the shark at the end of S8 (if not before). I still watch it as I'm 8 seasons invested but I'm horribly disappointed each time I do.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic