The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2021, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bard Rocks View Post
...But he can still talk like Donald Duck. Gets a lot of laughs.
And that's not nothing...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 11-18-2021, 06:07 PM

Margaret Atwood and Harpo Marx

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 11-18-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy View Post
Margaret Atwood and Harpo Marx

Not to mention their triplet, Art Garfunkel...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Art-Garfunkel-e1556393219730.jpg (17.8 KB, 104 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-18-2021, 10:02 PM

Same surname just a coincidence? ... I think not!

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-19-2021, 12:30 PM

I was once sitting in the LV airport eating lunch when I kept noticing people walking by the restaurant seating area, pointing in my general direction and occasionally waving. I looked behind me and the two young guys, at the table behind me, just shrugged.

After a few minutes, a couple came by and the woman told the man, "I'm sure they wouldn't mind. Go ahead and ask them" as he was heading towards the two young men at the table behind me. The man went to the two young men and asked if he could get his photo with them. Then as the woman came to my table to get a better angle on the shot, stopped and said to me, "Oh my God! Aren't you Tom Selleck?"

I laughed and said I wasn't and she could lean over me to take her photo.

I called my wife about it and she laughed out loud. At the time, I had a passing resemblence to Mr. Selleck so it was pretty funny!

Oh, the two young men were waiting for their flight back to LA to rejoin the rest of the cast of CSI to continue filming. They were George Eads and Gary Dourdan. I had no idea who they were as I'd never seen the show and the show was in its first season so it was still very new back in 2000.

Best,
PJ
Old 11-19-2021, 12:47 PM
Charter Member

I've been told by a friend that lives there that I've got a twin working at the Costco in Palm Springs.

I'll be there in a couple months, might look him up.
Old 11-20-2021, 10:32 AM

Apparently my facial features aren't that uncommon in the Netherlands and Belgium (where my paternal grandparents are from).

An old girlfriend traveling in Holland in c.1971 sent me a postcard saying she'd just seen my double in Amsterdam, same looks, same fiery red-blond hair...only his was another foot longer and "electrified." (Must have been some sight, since MY hair was down to my shoulders at the time!)

Fast forward about twenty years or so, and my wife and I were staying at a yoga ashram in upstate New York. One early afternoon we were doing seva (selfless service) by dishing out lunch to just-arriving visitors, including a busload from Holland. I was spooning out soup for a young lady who stared straight at me and claimed I looked exactly like her uncle back home.

Makes me wonder just how many doppelgangers I have out there!

Dirk (whose red hair turned blond, then white starting well over 30 years ago)
Old 11-20-2021, 10:37 AM

^^^^^^^

My wife believes there are about 5-6 "man types" in the world. Apparently we all fit into one of these "archetypes" and when she begins pointing them out it's pretty accurate!

Best,
PJ
Old 11-23-2021, 02:55 PM

At a party in my younger days, I noticed that an astoundingly beautiful woman across the room seemed to be openly staring at me again and again. It was a bit unnerving; I had to keep looking over my shoulder for the person she was probably looking at, but no, it was me. After awhile I couldn't stand the suspense and I wandered over, said hello and introduced myself. She smiled (which melted me completely), apologized and said "Oh my God, you've got a twin in California! He's a friend of mine and I thought he was here." We had a good laugh, grabbed a drink and had a great time together for the rest of the night. As well as beautiful, she was charming, bright, and had a great sense of humor - introduced me to people a couple of times as "an old friend". We'd just met and she was already making inside jokes! She really was quite something, but alas was heading home in a couple of days so that night was the end of it. I got a lot of mileage out of that encounter, too: for weeks afterward as I'd run into guys I knew who were there that night, every one of them would ask me, "who was that girl you were with at the party? Wow!"
So yes, I believe in the doppelganger theory.
Old 11-23-2021, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

I had a really bizarre incident one time. I was doing some promo work for a sports clothing company exhibiting at big sports show, in Minnesota , Where you get a 10 X10 booth and the public comes by to check out new stuff.

About the middle of the 2nd day This couple comes in to my booth (whom I have never seen before) and the gal starts mumbling this litany of cuss words and calling me foul names and goes on for about 5 minutes and I am dumbfounded as to why.
She starts to indicate I am some jerk that dated ,took advantage of, then and dumped her best girlfriend. I tell her you have me mixed up with someone else, and she gets madder claiming I am just trying to weasel out of admitting I am the jerk named Gary or something..... I keep telling her I have no clue what she is talking about, I show her my Wyoming driver license and she gets even madder yelling and screaming obscenities at me

Finally I look her boy friend straight in the eye, and tell him get her out of here or I am going to get security to remove her .... he literally drags her out of the booth still yelling ........ I try to compose myself and ponder what just happened and conclude there must be some womanizer somewhere that looks just like me

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2021 at 08:24 AM.
Old 11-23-2021, 05:07 PM

And yaknow KevWind, I’d lay odds that she believes to this day how right she was.

I had a similar experience in my work one day.
Knocked on a door to deliver a package (big brown), and got the evil eye.
I was scolded and bluntly told to get off the property and never come back or they would “press charges”.
As I walked back to my truck.. one eye over my shoulder.. I heard references to “after what you’ve done” etc.
As with you, I had no, and still have no, idea what it was all about.

And yet, on the flip side, I knocked on another door, and the woman just stared at me. She was stunned to a speechless unmoving state.
I tried to engage her to put a signature on line 16 (this was way back when we used paper) and she was completely unresponsive.

I waited as a man came to the door from behind her, wondering what was going on no doubt, and he too just stopped and stared.
After a moment, he spoke falteringly about how I was the proverbial “dead ringer” for his brother who had died recently.

I stayed longer than my boss would have preferred, standing on the porch, letting them tell their story.

In both cases I mention here, I have no idea what either was about.

ps..
i give Riverwolf the prize for best post on this thread
Old 11-23-2021, 05:16 PM

I have another doppelgänger experience not dissimilar to Kev’s. Once back when I was single, some good friends in Waco were determined to fix me up with this woman they thought would be a perfect match. So they drive me over to this shop that the woman runs, take me inside and introduce me to this very nice looking woman, who stares at me and pulls my friend Barbara aside for a private chat while I wait with Barbara’s husband Roscoe. Barbara comes back, pulls Roscoe and me out of the store, and says “Sorry, Dirk. This isn’t going to work.” Apparently the woman was recently divorced and I looked so much like her ex that she was completely freaked.

Dirk
Old 11-23-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Whenever someone would ask my dear departed father “has anyone ever told you that you look just like *Dennis Thatcher?”, he would respond “No - but he looks just like me”.

* Maggie’s genial husband
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-24-2021, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I had a really bizarre incident one time. I was doing some promo work for a sports clothing company exhibiting at big sports show, in Minnesota , Where you get a 10 X10 booth and the public comes by to check out new stuff.

About the middle of the 2nd day This couple comes in to my booth (whom I have never seen before) and the gal starts mumbling this litany of cuss words and calling me foul names and goes on for about 5 minutes and I am dumbfounded as to why.
She starts to indicate I am some jerk that dated ,took advantage of, then and dumped her best girlfriend. I tell her you have me mixed up with someone else, and she gets madder claiming I am just trying to weasel out of admitting I am the jerk named Gary or something..... I keep telling her I have no clue what she is talking about, I show her my Wyoming driver license and she gets even madder yelling and screaming obscenities at me

Finally I look her boy friend straight in the eye, and tell him get her out of here or I am going to get security to remove her .... he literally drags her out of the booth still yelling ........ I try to compose myself and ponder what just happened and conclude there must be some womanizer somewhere that looks just like me
There was a Twilight Zone episode that was very similar. A guy could look at a picture of another person's face and adjust his face muscles to look just like that person. He is running away from something or somebody (I don't recall exactly) and runs into an alley. He changes his face to look like that of a local boxer he sees on a poster. Somebody else comes along and shoots him to death because of something that boxer had done.

Fortunately, you were only cussed at, though I would have become unnerved and started yelling back at the woman. You seem to have a lot more composure when dealing with the public than I do.

Tony
Old 11-24-2021, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
There was a Twilight Zone episode that was very similar. A guy could look at a picture of another person's face and adjust his face muscles to look just like that person. He is running away from something or somebody (I don't recall exactly) and runs into an alley. He changes his face to look like that of a local boxer he sees on a poster. Somebody else comes along and shoots him to death because of something that boxer had done.

Fortunately, you were only cussed at, though I would have become unnerved and started yelling back at the woman. You seem to have a lot more composure when dealing with the public than I do.

Tony
Ha yes in that sense I was lucky, and fortunately there were no sharp implements in my booth ,,pretty hard to inflict much damage with wool jackets , shirts, and pants

Well I was indeed pretty seemed up but,,,,I was representing the company and she was attracting attention in say 40 or 50 ft circle around my booth where everyone had stopped and was staring ,,, and thus the situation had become untenable , so it was clear to me either she had to go, or I did.
But I have no doubt when I told her boyfriend to remove her, there was a very hard edge in my voice and I was definite enough (l guess not unlike a field commander issuing orders) that he knew without a doubt, I was not bluffing about getting security

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 11-24-2021 at 10:23 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic