The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-21-2021, 03:07 PM

Default Rethinking My Old Gear w all the New Tech Available

Can I have 100% battery operation in a small live rig, PLUS multitrack recording capability:

I've seen some of the battery operated Maui stick systems and they appear to be feasible for the PA application.

So, in essence:

1) Is there a battery operated recorder that also doubles as a live mixer w/built-in efx and phantom power?

Is this too much to ask for?

Thanks in advance!
Old 11-21-2021, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
Can I have 100% battery operation in a small live rig, PLUS multitrack recording capability:

I've seen some of the battery operated Maui stick systems and they appear to be feasible for the PA application.

So, in essence:

1) Is there a battery operated recorder that also doubles as a live mixer w/built-in efx and phantom power?

Is this too much to ask for?

Thanks in advance!
Question #1 - Yes.
There's a few options available, but I recently purchased a Zoom Livetrak L8 which does exactly what you asked for and records all of the mixer input channels to SD card individually.

See post #6 here:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=624837

To also use it as a live performance rig you'd have to pair it with a battery operated PA or combo amp.

I have a Roland Cube Street EX (50 watts / twin 8" drivers with twin 2" tweeters) which provides really nice sound for acoustic guitar and vocal. The true stereo chorus and reverb provides a full and sweet sound from this amp, and it is fully capable of being LOUD. I did a couple of outdoor gigs with it in a three piece band before cold weather hit.

This is a amp that deserves to be auditioned before deciding that you need more power in a heavier or more bulky form.

Last edited by Rudy4; 11-21-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:36 PM

I don't know about battery-powered mixers, but there are plenty of options for recording.

It's not "all-in-one" but the Behringer XR18 is a digital mixer that can output individual channels via USB like an interface. You'd still need a small laptop with a DAW to do the actual recording. If you stepped up to an XR32 (way overkill for a solo guitarist) you can add an option so it can record straight to an SD card.

There are any number of small mixers that also provide USB out for recording. Some have FX, and the number of channels you can record individually varies, from just the LR main mix to each channel separately. Again, you'd need a laptop/DAW for the capture. I bought a small 11.6" screen Lenovo for less than $300 for the purpose.

The QSC Touchmix lets you record just by plugging in a USB drive, no separate computer/DAW necessary.

And Rudy already mentioned the Zoom Livetrak.

As for the battery power piece, lots of folks use a large battery bank to power their small PAs, rather than get battery-powered gear. I don't have specific recommendations but you can probably dig up some of those threads with a search.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification