The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-27-2021, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamolay View Post
Makes me wonder what effect just having a piezo under the saddle has on tone. No rubber in mine. I don’t actually use the pickup.
Are you sure you don’t have it under the pickup? It took me a few times before I realized it was there, since it blended in perfectly, same black and matte color, and I couldn’t tell it was there visually. It was only because I was checking the flatness of the slot carefully, because I had unbalanced pickup volume issues, that I noticed it and used a small plastic zip tie to lift it out. If yours really didn’t come with the strip, then yeah… I’m really curious what the purpose is for, and when Mcpherson started adding it.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
Are you sure you don’t have it under the pickup? It took me a few times before I realized it was there, since it blended in perfectly, same black and matte color, and I couldn’t tell it was there visually. It was only because I was checking the flatness of the slot carefully, because I had unbalanced pickup volume issues, that I noticed it and used a small plastic zip tie to lift it out. If yours really didn’t come with the strip, then yeah… I’m really curious what the purpose is for, and when Mcpherson started adding it.
Or maybe it was never supposed to be there and was improperly installed (might just be protective and to be removed just prior to installation?).

I was curious and sent a question to L.R. Baggs since McPherson has been contacted. I'll report back what Lloyd and Co. say.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Yes, lowering at the saddle will give you half of that amount in at the 12th fret. So half the numbers that I’ve posted is what you can expect if you take just the strip out (~.4mm lower at the 12th fret), or take both the strip and the piezo out (~.75mm lower at the 12th fret)
I am all for lowering the action. I play fingerstyle with bare fingers and thumb and with a light touch, so I can manage quite a low action without string buzz. I may have to consider following in your footsteps.

Tony
Old 11-29-2021, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Today I received an email response about the rubber strip from Justin at McPherson.

He said that the strip helps "balance out the pickup". He said that it can be removed and change the sound of the guitar somewhat, but it would also change the way the pickup responds.

As for me, I figure that McPherson has done the experimenting and felt that the rubber strip was a worthwhile addition, so I will leave it as is. My guitars all sound fine when plugged in, so I am not experiencing any problems with the pickup or the sound of my McPhersons.

Tony
Old 11-29-2021, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Sorry Tony, I didn't know you had contacted them about the same thing, I got the same response from Justin...I never plug in, and since it is easily reversable, I'm going to remove the rubber and the UST.

The small rubber strip helps balance out the pickup. It can be removed, and could change the sound of the guitar slightly, but can also alter the way the pickup responds.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinaz View Post
Sorry Tony, I didn't know you had contacted them about the same thing, I got the same response from Justin...I never plug in, and since it is easily reversable, I'm going to remove the rubber and the UST.

The small rubber strip helps balance out the pickup. It can be removed, and could change the sound of the guitar slightly, but can also alter the way the pickup responds.
No problem and it never hurts to have more "sets of eyes" on it.

Tony
Old 11-29-2021, 11:05 AM
Charter Member

Justin also shared that there are some updates coming in a few weeks. Mainly looks I think.
Old 11-29-2021, 12:19 PM

I asked about swapping saddle material when sending the RFI to L.R. Baggs. Here was their email response (interesting):

"Hello,

Thanks for reaching out to us! We do not include a rubber/silicone strip like this with our system, it was likely added by the installer as a shim. Removal would not be detrimental, and I actually recommend it!

One thing to keep in mind when switching from graphtech to bone; Since bone is a natural material, there can be density variations throughout a single piece. If these variations are present, then it will affect the string balance and take some time to dial in. We manage these issues through use of shims under quiet strings to increase the pressure in that location.

Let me know if you have any further questions!"
Old 11-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Charter Member

I did not have the rubber baby bumper under my saddle, but my Touring is one of the early 2018 models and it came with a white Tusq nut and saddle. I'll be switching those out to the current black ones, not sure of the material, but the black ones are supposed to sound a little better too. And will look a heck of a lot better which is the main objective !! I did pull the UST out from under the saddle and it sounds clearer and better balanced to me. Nothing huge, but noticeable. I'm really liking this guitar, it seems to be improving the more I fine tune it. Of course the newer strings may be just settling in too...I'm real excited to see the new models coming soon. Suppose to be killer.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Make sure the saddle is completely flat on the bottom with 90 sides. I've seen even bone saddles that aren't square and flat that caused imbalances when amplified.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 11-29-2021, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Justin also shared that there are some updates coming in a few weeks. Mainly looks I think.
Well, then, if I decide to sell my McPhersons to get the newer models, I will have to claim that the specific year(s) that mine were made were the "golden years" and they just don't make 'em like they used to. Some folks bought into that line with the mi 90s Taylors, so maybe I can pull the wool over too.

Tony
Old 11-29-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I did pull the UST out from under the saddle and it sounds clearer and better balanced to me. Nothing huge, but noticeable. I'm really liking this guitar, it seems to be improving the more I fine tune it. Of course the newer strings may be just settling in too...
For others interested in pulling out the UST and/or that rubber strip, you can just capo at the first fret and detune enough to pull out the strings and pins. You can then just remove the UST or rubber strip, or change saddle etc, then tune back up, without needing new strings.

That way, it would be a more of a fair assessment of the changes in tone, if any, than to compare without UST/strip AND with new strings.
Old 11-29-2021, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
For others interested in pulling out the UST and/or that rubber strip, you can just capo at the first fret and detune enough to pull out the strings and pins. You can then just remove the UST or rubber strip, or change saddle etc, then tune back up, without needing new strings.

That way, it would be a more of a fair assessment of the changes in tone, if any, than to compare without UST/strip AND with new strings.
Yep, it's about a 5 minute job, my strings were installed last week. I think there is definitely an change in tone, the amount of change is debatable.
Old 11-29-2021, 07:55 PM

Quote:

When I do that I put the capo as far up the neck as possible. Less of the strings flopping around.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber