The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-10-2021, 04:27 AM

Default Taran DS5

As a result of some favorable reviews of this brand guitar, I recently purchased this small body 2019 DS5 from the North American Guitar. The instrument was given a test drive by multiple excellent players in descriptions posted by Taran and by TNAG. The clear, focused, resonant character drew me to it like a moth to a flame. When it showed up, it was hard to overlook the aesthetic beauty. I am prone to saying I would play an ugly guitar with perfect tone, but... When killer woods and superb craftsmanship come together with remarkable tone, the combination really makes your day. Such is the case with this guitar. The top is moon spruce and the back and sides Macassar ebony. The figuring does not require strong light to stand out. It just beams at you all day long. The purfling and multiple artistic choices really make this guitar special.

About the size of a standard nylon string classical guitar (but with 14 frets to the body) it is extremely comfortable to play. It makes no compromises because of the diminished size. Volume, resonance and sustain are the equal of much larger guitars I have owned. The low E string does not have the complete snap I covet but it gets close enough to satisfy. Right hand position and striking force compensate easily.

The neck has a feature I've never encountered before. The thickness DECREASES as you move up towards the body. Interesting concept and one that contributes to the ease of access to that part of the guitar. In summary, this instrument does not disappoint in any method of evaluation you could choose. If you Google Taran DS5 you will find multiple videos of this guitar being played by some very competent musicians. The recordings accurately display all the Taran has to offer. Congratulations to the Luthier. He demonstrated he belongs in the group of elite luthiers making world class guitars.

Cincy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0464.jpg (50.0 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0468.jpg (72.5 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0466.jpg (38.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0470.jpg (48.6 KB, 180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0467.jpg (43.9 KB, 177 views)
Old 09-10-2021, 04:48 AM

I was really interested to hear your opinion on this guitar given the quality of guitars you've had in your hands. I saw this guitar while it was being built the first time I visited Taran guitars and it was incredibly beautiful even without its glad rags on. The other guitar that I played that day persuaded me to take the leap into custom build territory. And mine has just entered the finishing booth this week.

However that's all an aside. Congratulations on a wonderful new guitar and I hope you get a lot of pleasure from it.
Old 09-10-2021, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I was really interested to hear your opinion on this guitar given the quality of guitars you've had in your hands.
It bests the small bodies I've owned from Greenfield and Lowden. Stands toe to toe with OM's from Kostal, Somogyi (yes), Jang, Galloup, Greenfield, Traugott, Matsuda, Olson, McConnel, Casimi and Maingard. Great company to be in.

Cincy
Old 09-10-2021, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy2 View Post
It bests the small bodies I've owned from Greenfield and Lowden. Stands toe to toe with OM's from Kostal, Somogyi (yes), Jang, Galloup, Greenfield, Traugott, Matsuda, Olson, McConnel, Casimi and Maingard. Great company to be in.

Cincy
That's an eye-popping list of names and quite the recommendation. I've gone for his slightly larger body (000ish size). Don't think I'm going to be disappointed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop