The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-30-2021, 12:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quit playing on the internet Steve…..we have work to do

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 08-30-2021, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile Yow!

Both of you gentlemen have been building BEAUTIFUL guitars!!!

May your travels be safe, boring, and uneventful!!! And may BIG be a BLAST...

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 09-12-2021, 11:53 PM
Charter Member

Was so great to meet you and play your guitars finally, Steve...All three of these beauties really blew me away...superlative performance guitars with looks and tone to match. Hope you had safe and smooth travels back.

All the best,

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 09-15-2021, 12:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

I confess, when I brought my guitars to the B.I.G. show, I really didn't feel like they were ready for prime time yet. I worked many long days to get them built in time; and I had switched from Seagrave to Cardinal lacquer for these guitars, and it behaves quite differently. So I had some last minute issues with the lacquer on all three guitars, and getting them assembled and strung up was a mad last minute rush.

Realistically, if you're showing new guitars in public, you should have them completely done a month ahead of time, minimum. They need to settle in and wake up. My three were just a few frantic days old when we hit the road for Texas.

I was very nervous about Dustin playing them- I thought my guitars would bark and squawk and growl and chirp, like feeding time at the zoo... But Dustin made them sound awesome. He could make any guitar sound like a cathedral, and he was able to coax out some very nice nuanced tone out of these greenhorn guitars.
Now, I'm convinced that Dustin imbued all three with some kind of special magic, because they are awake now, and they know what they are supposed to do. They all have unique voices, with lots of color and character emerging.

Now I just wish I could hand every new guitar I make to Dustin for a few minutes- or hours! Dude has magic hands! What a great way for a guitar to start a musical life, huh?

Last edited by theEdwinson; 09-15-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theEdwinson View Post
I confess, when I brought my guitars to the B.I.G. show, I really didn't feel like they were ready for prime time yet. I worked many long days to get them built in time; and I had switched from Seagrave to Cardinal lacquer for these guitars, and it behaves quite differently. So I had some last minute issues with the lacquer on all three guitars, and getting them assembled and strung up was a mad last minute rush.

Realistically, if you're showing new guitars in public, you should have them completely done a month ahead of time, minimum. They need to settle in and wake up. My three were just a few frantic days old when we hit the road for Texas.

I was very nervous about Dustin playing them- I thought my guitars would bark and squawk and growl and chirp, like feeding time at the zoo... But Dustin made them sound awesome. He could make any guitar sound like a cathedral, and he was able to coax out some very nice nuanced tone out of these greenhorn guitars.
Now, I'm convinced that Dustin imbued all three with some kind of special magic, because they are awake now, and they know what they are supposed to do. They all have unique voices, with lots of color and character emerging.

Now I just wish I could hand every new guitar I make to Dustin for a few minutes- or hours! Dude has magic hands! What a great way for a guitar to start a musical life, huh?
Steve, I was particularly taken with the guitar that I believe has Malaysian Blackwood back and sides. I am amazed at how easily the sound leapt from that instrument. What a wonderful tone! I know you’re enjoying playing it, but someone really should buy that from you. It’s terrific!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

I agree with Mike: hopefully they find new homes soon. Yes, Dustin is an amazing guitarist. But, you did a wonderful work on these guitars! Beautiful! It was great to meet you; I enjoyed our conversations. Dave
Old 09-16-2021, 06:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Steve…
One of the most difficult aspects (for me) of being a luthier, is being able to be objective about my own work. For six months I spend hundreds of hours looking at the development of an instrument (including performing my own finishing work)…and upon its completion, I simply can’t look at it with the same eyes that I look upon another luthier’s completed guitar. Because of being involved in every aspect of the process, my mind focuses on every teeny-tiny imperfection…things I know will never be noticed by anyone else. I realize that it’s totally irrational, yet I can’t escape the trap which my mind has created for myself. It takes me about three months to “un-remember” these things, and to truly be able to embrace and love a guitar that I’ve built.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 09-16-2021, 09:16 AM
AGF Sponsor

I really appreciate all the kind comments, guys. And, Joel, you hit the bulls-eye on that comment. Many of us luthiers are by nature kind of hermit-like, and we tend to work very privately, and with intense focus. You almost have to be that way to be a guitar maker. So it's easy to get a little tunnel-vision, and you begin to lose objectivity because you're so minutely aware of every little thing in those guitars you're making, and sort of out of touch with the rest of the world around you.

And then going to an event like the B.I.G. show is a jolt to the senses. Us hermits are now having more social activity than almost any other time in a given year. It's exhilarating sensory overload, especially when you see the guitars your colleagues make, which for me is always a humbling experience.
I always wonder if my work is fit to be displayed with the guitars made by all these other people who I respect and admire as Masters of the craft. But then, I talk with my luthier pals, and come to understand (again and again) that none of us are perfect, and we all experience the same issues while striving to do our best work. That is the never-ending impulse that inspires us to try to do better with each successive build. The Holy Grail is always tantalizingly close, but always just out of reach...

This Forum, and gatherings like Tom's B.I.G. put it all in perspective, though. there's a lot of love going around, and we're all in this together, celebrating each other, the guitars, the music, and the mutual joyful experience of a shared passion.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I really appreciate all the kind comments, guys. And, Joel, you hit the bulls-eye on that comment. Many of us luthiers are by nature kind of hermit-like, and we tend to work very privately, and with intense focus. You almost have to be that way to be a guitar maker. So it's easy to get a little tunnel-vision, and you begin to lose objectivity because you're so minutely aware of every little thing in those guitars you're making, and sort of out of touch with the rest of the world around you.

And then going to an event like the B.I.G. show is a jolt to the senses. Us hermits are now having more social activity than almost any other time in a given year. It's exhilarating sensory overload, especially when you see the guitars your colleagues make, which for me is always a humbling experience.
I always wonder if my work is fit to be displayed with the guitars made by all these other people who I respect and admire as Masters of the craft. But then, I talk with my luthier pals, and come to understand (again and again) that none of us are perfect, and we all experience the same issues while striving to do our best work. That is the never-ending impulse that inspires us to try to do better with each successive build. The Holy Grail is always tantalizingly close, but always just out of reach...

This Forum, and gatherings like Tom's B.I.G. put it all in perspective, though. there's a lot of love going around, and we're all in this together, celebrating each other, the guitars, the music, and the mutual joyful experience of a shared passion.

I think you nailed it here. Trust me, the doubts don't just end with the luthiers as the organizers are not immune to these same fears of failure. Hearing how good your guitars are from others is equivalent to hearing that people had a great time!
Old 09-16-2021, 10:24 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I think you nailed it here. Trust me, the doubts don't just end with the luthiers as the organizers are not immune to these same fears of failure. Hearing how good your guitars are from others is equivalent to hearing that people had a great time!

Tom, I can only imagine what you and Kathy went through in planning and organizing this event. It must have been like a five month tightrope walk across a bottomless canyon. It took an enormous measure of straight-up courage, careful balance, and continuous diligence to pull it off; and all along the way, you had no idea what the outcome would be. Especially with Covid flaring up again, it must have required nerves of steel to INTEND a successful and well attended show. And you pulled it off, with style, grace, and brilliant organization skills.

Every person who came to your beautiful new home for three days of celebration owes you and yours a raucous standing ovation. I think I speak for all of us, that we hope you feel inspired to do this again. It was the best time I had, at least since the first B.I.G. And I know a good number of people who are sad that they missed it, and they won't make that mistake again!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

Who knows what will be happening a year from now… but after attending the B.I.G. Celebration at Tom and Kathy’s, I am definitely getting back into the guitar show circuit. This time, I came away from the experience feeling very inspired, and having a fresh perspective on life from all the quality hang time with old friends and new. That’s always happened, at all the guitar shows I’ve attended over the years. My life actually used to revolve around the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, every odd numbered years, until that event ended after the 2013 show. I really miss Healdsburg. That’s where it all began for me, way back in 1999.

Making special guitars for shows is a great pleasure. You get to have total free reign with the designs, try out new ideas, and do your best work. It’s fun work, not a chore. But you also gotta make a living. So it’s a great practice to plan ahead and get an early start, so you’ll have plenty of time to get everything done well in advance. Less stress, more fun…

This time, I had too much work and too little time; I had to work like an Inca slave to make the deadline. It was totally worth it, but it was exhausting.
So today, I hauled some Pernambuco lumber out of the wood pile, ran it through the bandsaw, and then cleaned it up with the drum sander. I now have the first set for a potential show guitar processed. The guitar is going to be an Eclipse OM model. I’m thinking of putting a 5A German spruce top on it.
Here are some photos of the Pernambuco. It’s special stuff, and though I still have a good stash of lumber, this is my first build with this amazing wood.IMG_3199.jpgIMG_3206.jpgIMG_3207.jpgIMG_3209.jpg

The last two pics show the figure with some naphtha wiped on. Awesome color and figure, including some bees-wing… Yum.

I’ll be posting more photos as this wood slowly morphs into a Modern OM. Cheers!
Old 09-16-2021, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Who knows what will be happening a year from now… but after attending the B.I.G. Celebration at Tom and Kathy’s, I am definitely getting back into the guitar show circuit. This time, I came away from the experience feeling very inspired, and having a fresh perspective on life from all the quality hang time with old friends and new. That’s always happened, at all the guitar shows I’ve attended over the years. My life actually used to revolve around the Healdsburg Guitar Festival, every odd numbered years, until that event ended after the 2013 show. I really miss Healdsburg. That’s where it all began for me, way back in 1999.

Making special guitars for shows is a great pleasure. You get to have total free reign with the designs, try out new ideas, and do your best work. It’s fun work, not a chore. But you also gotta make a living. So it’s a great practice to plan ahead and get an early start, so you’ll have plenty of time to get everything done well in advance. Less stress, more fun…

This time, I had too much work and too little time; I had to work like an Inca slave to make the deadline. It was totally worth it, but it was exhausting.
So today, I hauled some Pernambuco lumber out of the wood pile, ran it through the bandsaw, and then cleaned it up with the drum sander. I now have the first set for a potential show guitar processed. The guitar is going to be an Eclipse OM model. I’m thinking of putting a 5A German spruce top on it.
Here are some photos of the Pernambuco. It’s special stuff, and though I still have a good stash of lumber, this is my first build with this amazing wood.Attachment 62199Attachment 62200Attachment 62201Attachment 62202

The last two pics show the figure with some naphtha wiped on. Awesome color and figure, including some bees-wing… Yum.

I’ll be posting more photos as this wood slowly morphs into a Modern OM. Cheers!
An Eclispe OM, huh? I seem to remember I have one of those due sometime soon.

I'll be most interested to see how this Pernambuco guitar turns out. That looks to have some awesome potential to make a beautiful guitar. I hope you can post some pics along the way.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jklotz View Post
An Eclispe OM, huh? I seem to remember I have one of those due sometime soon.

I'll be most interested to see how this Pernambuco guitar turns out. That looks to have some awesome potential to make a beautiful guitar. I hope you can post some pics along the way.
Yes, you DO have an Eclipse OM heading your way soon. It's called the "Midnight Eclipse". We'll have a big reveal soon!
Old 09-16-2021, 09:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Steve, that Pernambuco looks marvelous.
I’m glad you were able to get those guitars done in time—whew!
Last-minute show prep takes weeks, if not months, off a luthier’s life.
I agree, finishing the instruments a month before a show seems wise.
But then, I’m reminded of my pattern with term papers, and turn in dates, and just sigh…

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 09-17-2021, 08:13 AM

Beautiful wood Steve. That is the start of an amazing instrument for sure.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop