The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-21-2021, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Fender MIM vs. Squire Affinity Tele

I’d like to begin playing a bit of electric guitar, even though I’ll never play on any stage or be in any band. I’m 63, and am just a glorified beginner at the acoustic…but it’s all for personal enjoyment anyway.

All that said…I don’t want to spend a ton on some hotshot electric at least right now.

Locally, I can buy a MIM Tele for $500 or so…and a Chinese-made Squire Affinity Tele for less than $200. Can you guys compare the two for me? For a beginner, is the MIM Tele still worth the additional $200+ over the Affinity?

Last edited by TDavis; 09-21-2021 at 07:30 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:09 AM

The Mexican Fender will be better set up and survive detailed examination with fewer tool marks and imperfections. If you can adjust a truss rod, set your own action, and are not a perfectionist, then the Squier would be an equivalent choice (at the extreme you might need to shim the neck which is pretty easy). In my estimation the CNC programming at Squier factories is as good as any and I've found their electronics to be pretty good for the price (typically name brand Alpha POTs for example).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 09-22-2021 at 05:12 AM.
Old 09-21-2021, 10:37 AM

It seems to be case by case. But one thing I've noticed is that the poly finishes on the MIMs seem to be a little thicker and... is "softer" the word? At any rate, it's not something you can fix easily, if you think it needs fixing.

Couch Standards
Old 09-21-2021, 10:41 AM

The question of "is it worth it" is fraught. $200 to some trivial, to others it's a considerable sum.

Models (even with brand sub-lines like Affinity) vary in specs and features. Tastes differ. I've owned entry level Squiers and more expensive ones in the Squier line, I've owned MIM Teles. I liked and found use for examples of both. The upper end of the Squier line can (in general terms) have better hardware and more traditional hardware and specs than the lowest priced Squiers. In that regard they overlap with the lower parts of the MIM Fender lines

I've noticed that some Squiers over the years have slightly narrower nut widths and sometimes thinner necks. Some would find that a plus, some would find that a minus.

The best way to tell if it's worth it with your budget to try some. If that's impossible, and you want this stranger to suggest what to buy without you ever holding one in your own hands much less playing, then I'd say go higher in the Squire line than Affinity or go with the Mexican Tele. If you can't decide pick the one that you like the color of. There's my single data point.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 09-21-2021, 11:44 AM

If you were completely new to guitars, I’d say you won’t notice a difference. But since you play acoustics, then you’ll notice the better fretwork, better hardware, and better overall fit and finish of the MIM tele. With that said, the Affinity is also an adequate instrument you really can’t go wrong with for the price.
Old 09-21-2021, 12:56 PM

The MIM is a better guitar (better parts/electronics), hence the price. I think it is worth the +$200 more.

Both guitars can be setup to play equally as well though. Given the setup, I'd recommend getting the Squier (not 'Squire') because if you don't play it often or end up preferring a Gibson type guitar it's only $200. Sometimes I say get the better guitar but not this time. Get your feet wet first, as long as it has a nice setup.

Also, an amp is going to give you ~50% of your tone so you need to factor in the cost of an amp too.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:36 PM

The MIM guitar if you can afford it. (You can argue that it's just as good as its American made counterpart and has better resale value if you ever decide to sell it).
Old 09-21-2021, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

As a new owner of a MIM player i would recommend you go that route if it’s not a financial stretch. I’m not an accomplished player either but the MIM is nice enough that it really encourages me to play it. If electric turns out not to be your thing it won’t cost you much as a “rental”.
Larrivee P03 sitka/hog,simple 6 OM & OM 09
Eastman E100ss-sb
Gibson J185 & 2016 J35
Fender player plus telecaster & Mustang P90
Gretsch MIK 5622T
Old 09-21-2021, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

As a prior owner of a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, I can say that at $400 new, it was just perfect as is. I of course didn’t leave well enough alone, so I swapped out pickups and tuners, but frankly it didn’t need any of that!

Teles are a rabbit hole! You can get really expensive ones, middle of the road, low price point… I just love the whole genre. I have a Reverend version called the Trickshot now, but I’d be just as happy with my old Squier.
Old 09-21-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalFromChatham View Post
As a prior owner of a Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, I can say that at $400 new, it was just perfect as is. I of course didn’t leave well enough alone, so I swapped out pickups and tuners, but frankly it didn’t need any of that!

Teles are a rabbit hole! You can get really expensive ones, middle of the road, low price point… I just love the whole genre. I have a Reverend version called the Trickshot now, but I’d be just as happy with my old Squier.

I have the classic vibe custom tele, and I agree—an exceptional guitar, easily as good as my American Standard Strat…
Old 09-21-2021, 09:26 PM

The Classic Vibe series is the only Squier worth owning, IMHO. My daughter's Affinity was not set up as well as my MIM out of the box and the worksmanship was not as nice. By the time we had these issues fixed, it cost almost as much as the MIM AND still had Squier on the headstock.
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 09-21-2021, 11:42 PM

Generally Fender MIM’s are set up ok out of the box. $200 guitars will have a higher chance of having issues out of the box. A decent amp is almost as important as the guitar because after all that is whats making the sound. If I was in your shoes I’d get an Affinity (or preferably a lightly used Squier Classic Vibe) have it set up so they can check the nut, intonation, string height, and make sure everything is working fine. If the guitar has issues the shop will make it right. Throw in a Boss Katana or at least a Fender Campion 20/LT25 and you’ll have a decent starter setup.
2021 Squier Classic Vibe 60’s Telecaster
2018 Fender Player Stratocaster
2018 Gibson Les Paul Special
2022 Epiphone Gold Glory Jared James Nichols

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars