The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-21-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Some purely personal, non-functional thoughts: Having tuners that aren't parallel has always bugged me, although there are a few makers out there that do this....
I have the same preference. Installing the machine heads perpendicular to the outline of the headstock looks awkward to me as well, and makes for less room between the individual tuning keys. This is esp. bad when the sideline of the head curves a lot. Eastman archtops tend to be the worst offenders, I tend to install the new machine heads parallel to each other when I inevitably ditch the oem tuners that are standard on these guitars.
Old 05-21-2022, 10:25 AM

Default Tuners

The only thing I personally dislike about the tuners on the guitar is the generic butterbean shape buttons. Over the years I have accumulated a bag full of these, as I replace them on any guitar that comes with these.
These are popular on low-end guitars, and I came to regard them as "mark of a low end instrument". The lockers are a nice touch.
For the modern looking aesthetics of your guitar, perhaps Sperzels woudl be a good match.
Old 05-22-2022, 07:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by coder View Post
I have the same preference. Installing the machine heads perpendicular to the outline of the headstock looks awkward to me as well, and makes for less room between the individual tuning keys. This is esp. bad when the sideline of the head curves a lot. Eastman archtops tend to be the worst offenders, I tend to install the new machine heads parallel to each other when I inevitably ditch the oem tuners that are standard on these guitars.

Hi Coder!

As mentioned, I just felt it looked better on this guitar with these specific tuners (they are only slightly closer vs parallel to each other). That's not to say it wont change in the future; and indeed i'll try different tuners/configurations.

I personally like a slimmer/vintage style button on a tuner; these are just the standard option from gotoh and the only option available at the time when I was ordering (and are extremely expensive vs a lot of options).

I'm really not a fan of the Sperzels; they are quite clunky looking in my opinion. Particularly on an acoustic guitar. I am interested in trying some hipshot's.

I'm hoping to get my hands on some gotoh with the hidden locker and vintage button; but these will have to be made to order from japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDaniel View Post
Will any sound clips or videos be available soon?
Working on it! I'm waiting on some new mics to arrive this week. I've tried several options with friends and have a few musicians lined up this week to demo. Apologies for the delay on this I'm pretty new to recording (at least recording acoustics/unplugged).
Old 05-26-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon@Caulfield View Post
1) Initially, not at first. Although, my mould is somewhat modular and I may consider taking more bespoke customs in the future.

My bridge is moulded with the rest of the instrument, so unlike other manufacturers; I cannot move this to suit (and I believe moving the bridge to be less than idea).

The neck can be shortened after the moulding process, but this involves cutting off the headstock and removing a piece of neck; interrupting the continuous weave that runs from my bridge to my headstock. Again, possible, and done by others; but something that id rather steer away from at this time. What scale length would you like?
Hi Simon,

I had missed your question on scale length. I would be interested in something between 24.5" to 24.9".
Old 05-26-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

For me, the only reason I prefer longer scale on some instruments is because it supports a variation in sound (be it alternate tunings, power etc)

Shorter scales are almost always easier to actually play so it's hard to take the scale on its own as a preference without context of how the shorter scale impacts the sound trade offs on the individual instrument.

Given that your design is different enough that is probably hard to judge.

Personally I now have two instruments with small multi scale differences.

One is 25.0-25.5 and the other is 25.25-26. Combined with the construction of the guitars (both have carbon reinforcement in the neck) they really allow alot of versatility and neither took me much time to adapt to at all.

I would think given your construction techniques that a small multi scale might be the way to go with little cost difference to your construction.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:19 PM

I personally dislike multi-scales, and I think only a minority of players seek them out. Going multi-scale limits the group of potential first-time buyers, as well as the secondary market.

If multi-scales were even close to half the market of potential buyers, we'd see more such offerings from Martin, Taylor and such.

If I were trying to appeal to as many people as possible with a new and relatively fragile guitar-making business, I'd probably stick to what is a proven seller.
Old 05-26-2022, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer View Post
I personally dislike multi-scales, and I think only a minority of players seek them out. Going multi-scale limits the group of potential first-time buyers, as well as the secondary market.

If multi-scales were even close to half the market of potential buyers, we'd see more such offerings from Martin, Taylor and such.

If I were trying to appeal to as many people as possible with a new and relatively fragile guitar-making business, I'd probably stick to what is a proven seller.
I rather like multi-scales (or fan frets, for anyone who might be confused by the term.) However, I completely agree with you - I wouldn’t go with fan fret as the only choice to start with. There’s enough of a challenge getting acoustic guitar players to try *anything* new - why limit your potential customer base artificially?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-29-2022, 07:59 AM

I may have created confusion with my comment of a 24.5 - 24.9 scale. I was not referring to a multi-scale but rather a single short scale. I would be ok with 24.5 or would be ok with 24.9....simply prefer less than 25.5.

I apparently need to be pickier (see that there pun) with my choice of words!
Old 05-31-2022, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I may have created confusion with my comment of a 24.5 - 24.9 scale. I was not referring to a multi-scale but rather a single short scale. I would be ok with 24.5 or would be ok with 24.9....simply prefer less than 25.5.

I apparently need to be pickier (see that there pun) with my choice of words!
Actually, it was the member Aspiring who said that multi-scales "might be the way to go."
Old 06-03-2022, 10:29 AM

@Simon,

Any update on sound clips? Any other updates to share?

A suggestion would be regular posts to keep people aware and interested in following along with the journey....jmho
Old 06-03-2022, 05:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Apologies for the delay in updates on here guys, As discussed in the video; I've been moving premises

As mentioned; the audio may not be perfect, but I've been on the very steep learning curve of recording acoustic guitar; acoustically .

I do have a few musicians lined up to demo the guitars. My new workshop will also lend itself better to sharing a bit more content.
Old 06-24-2022, 01:22 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Guys! Just a quick update, I'm finally working from my new premises, and will have a video tour next week.
Old 06-24-2022, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Very cool. Looking forward to it. Must be exciting!
Old 07-18-2022, 06:02 AM

Simon? Are you there? Hello?

Seriously, any updates for those following along?
Old 07-18-2022, 06:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
Simon? Are you there? Hello?

Seriously, any updates for those following along?
Don't worry; I'm here! Lurking!

I'm conscious that's its been some time since my last update. Unfortunately, I've gone to upload photos here several times, and because of the size limit; it wouldn't let me. I also want to show significant progress between updates, and at the moment it has been a whole lot of cutting carbon fibre and laying it into my mould.. which doesn't create very exciting content! :P

I'm also working on protecting my design/process, and thus am apprehensive about showing the intricate workings of my mould and process before this is in place.

If you follow my Instagram, I've been posting over there on my story (its a lot quicker and easier to post there when I'm very busy).

I've also had some issues in terms of planning and certification in my new premises, Thankfully that was rectified last week, and my curing oven is now in and working!

I've my next guitar at the paint stage, and I have taken on board lots of feedback and suggestion from all of you here. I cant wait to share that with you. I didn't want to upload photos of the same blue guitar over and over, and thus have been holding out for the next instrument to be ready. I also want to be better equipped to respond to all questions and queries regarding potential lead times, pricing and standard models.

I have been talking to many members behind the scenes and you all have been a wealth of knowledge and information. My inbox, and emails are always open for those who are interest in more information, those who have suggestions, or those who just would like a chat!

Edit; Got some photos to attach. For context Making this post took around 30 minutes I think I've now figured out a way to speed this up.
In the first photo, its me and my previous guitar, standing on the slipway where the Titanic and her sister ships were made.
In the second image, you'll seed the next guitar, exactly how it appears right out of the mould.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture.jpg (34.5 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg IMG20220709141953.jpg (26.0 KB, 163 views)

Last edited by Simon@Caulfield; 07-18-2022 at 06:47 AM. Reason: photos

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber