The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-23-2022, 01:40 PM

Default Blue vs Red Emerald

After having big struggles if I should go carbon route, being a tone geek and then struggles about X20 vs X30, I now need to decide if I should go with Blue or Red carbon. In case of quilted maple, I would go with blue, since I was always a blue guitar guy. But as I'm going with plain carbon X30, I am asking myself if red would look more beautiful and radiant to the eyes and better together with greyish black bridge and fingerboard? If you used to see or own both, what did you prefer? Usualy the studio photos are overexposed and don't show the true color what I will get. Thanks for help.
Old 04-23-2022, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

It probably doesn't matter much - Emeralds tend to be MUCH darker than what their studio shots show. I've had red and amber and both of them look nearly black in normal indoor lighting, with just the slightest hint of the underlying color showing through. Maybe if you went for the vibrant weave, or whatever they're calling that option, the colors would really show up and almost pop. I don't know - I've never seen one in person. But if you're just going with a plain carbon weave, it's gonna be pretty dark and you're not gonna spend much time admiring the color. Unless you're playing out in sunlight or in a really well lit room...

-Ray
Old 04-23-2022, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

I have seen both in person, as well as the amber and the green. My preference is this order.

Red. Almost bought a plain red but ended up with a padauk and red combination.

Amber. Close second

Blue. A bit bright for my taste.

Green. Even brighter.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

I had a blue X7 and red X20 at the same time, I liked them both, but the Red was my favorite. Like Ray said, it tends to be a little darker, not a fire engine or Ferrari red. The red one sounded better too.....
Old 04-23-2022, 03:30 PM
Charter Member

I've got a red one, an amber and black one, and a blue one - although my blue Amicus is done in the blue weave CF that is no longer available.

The standard weaves do definitely need a bit of light to really pop, but I can easily tell the difference between the red, amber and black in the late afternoon light here. I think my favourite is the red one - it's a very rich, elegant colour.

The blue weave is definitely even more subtle, but has its own beauty.

If and when I ever add another one to the mix, I'll most likely go for the new purple, in regular CF. No veneers for me
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2022, 04:37 PM

The color is a transparent paint that goes over the carbon... So it WILL be a lot darker than you think. Under sunlight or strong light, they do show the subtle color, and it's pretty.

*edit* Just looked over and saw the X30 looking extremely vibrant in the sun through the window. Looks much redder than usual tonight. Guess the sun is at just the right angle, low. You can see the red carbon on the arm bevel, and the Virtuo next to it for black carbon comparison.

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 04-23-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 05:21 PM

As everyone else has mentioned, the regular weave is quite dark. Now, if you're talking the vibrant weave, the color really shows, A LOT!
Color is very subjective so hard to say which is best. I like blue. I really like the purple option, actually. Looks really cool. Green has never been my taste although I have a green St Patty's day special x7.
To be honest, my favorite is the plain black.
I did see someone with a silver on reverb. That looked awesome! Not sure if Alistair would consider making that one again.
Old 04-23-2022, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Red will sound more like rosewood and blue more like mahogany. Of course, I don't own an Emerald, so take what I say with a large grain of salt.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-23-2022, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Red will sound more like rosewood and blue more like mahogany. Of course, I don't own an Emerald, so take what I say with a large grain of salt.
What happens if you’re colour blind?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-23-2022, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Then everything sounds like walnut.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 04-24-2022, 03:08 AM
Charter Member

I know it's not on the ballot, but I vote for black carbon weave. Good enough for the Model T and good enough for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S-X20-Black-EleTrinity-7262-1.jpg (17.4 KB, 164 views)
File Type: jpg 1925_Ford_Model_T_touring.jpg (95.5 KB, 165 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 04-24-2022 at 04:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2022, 05:10 AM

The 3D builder shows colors over carbon weave more realistically than those brightly lit shipping room videos or the glamour shots on the website.

If you really want to notice the color though you should go for vibrant weave. I think vibrant red with gold hardware looks stunning.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 04-24-2022, 06:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I am, and that is why my post should be taken with a grain of salt (or something like that).

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-24-2022, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Definitely Red over the Blue.

Of the standard (dark weave) colors Emerald offers I think Red and Green are the best looking although I prefer the Amber for the back and sides of most of the woody combos and then the black with a few others, like Royal Ebony. I think Blue is the worst color. My first Emerald - an X20 - was blue and I didn't like it at all.

If I was going to order a new, non-woody Emerald I'd go with probably Green then Red. The Green works on the level of coming from Ireland especially with gold tuners and some sort of Celtic inlay. But I think both are nice. I'd like to see some of the colored vibrant weave guitars in person on normal light. I might go that route.

The colors of the dark weave always looks so beautiful in the professional Emerald studio 'vanity' photos. But then in person, under most normal ambient lights, they are such a let down for me.
Old 04-24-2022, 03:26 PM

Thanks for replying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I've had red and amber and both of them look nearly black in normal indoor lighting
OH MAN, now I might need to save more money and go back to original plan, with quilted maple and blue.
But if Emeralds look so much darker in real life, I am not sure how that option will actualy look

Anyone have a photo which shows blue quilted maple as it is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjk View Post
Blue. A bit bright for my taste
You are saying blue is easier to see than red?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
The colors of the dark weave always looks so beautiful in the professional Emerald studio 'vanity' photos.
Yes, the dark weave with red is realy nice on some photos, since there is black and red mix in the weave. But I am glad I know now in advance that in person won't be the same...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber