The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Default SDOTD G&L ASAT Bluesboy

I just ordered one of these because I have a problem... and it's a really good deal. Even though I hardly ever play electric.

Always liked the teles with humbuckers in the neck.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/stupid?icid=210190

I have a sonic blue G&L Tribute tele which is quite good for the money, I'll probably sell that now... or maybe not.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:06 PM
Charter Member

Ope, looks like I got one of the last ones, it's some cables now.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-18-2022, 06:23 PM

That color looked nice, let us know what you think of it when it arrives!
Old 04-18-2022, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

Congrats! It should be a very nice guitar!

- Glenn
Old 04-20-2022, 09:42 AM

Congrats! I'm a couple of days late so the link takes me to today's SDOTD, which is an acoustic. What kind of Tele is it?
Old 04-20-2022, 11:36 AM

Please be sure to give us a full report. I went back and forth on this one and I am always looking for a reason to kick myself.
Old 04-20-2022, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I did a little research after I clicked the buy button... I assumed that it was a Tribute. But it's listed at MF as Placentia Series (that "i" in that word is doing a lot of work), I saw that, but my brain translated it as being part of the Tribute series.

Over at "The Gear Page" there was a discussion about this. It seems that MF had been selling G&Ls labelled as Tribute but which were specially made for them, and were of lesser quality than the Tributes available elsewhere; speculation was that this didn't sit well with other dealers trying to sell the real thing. It seems that this new "Placentia" (again, note the "i" in that word) series is made specifically for MF and allied companies, and seems to be of lesser quality. To wit: not G&L pickups, not brass saddles, not made in the Cort factory as Tributes are.

After reading that, I tried (not very hard) to cancel the order, but was unable.

For $275 (down from $450) it'll probably be fine, and interesting to compare to my Tribute Alnico V that I got from Sweetwater.

Anyway, it looks pretty nice, it's something different:

But, will it be better than an SX at about half the price? Dunno.
Can probably recoup my money selling it locally if it doesn't work for me.

(Call me Dan)
Old 04-20-2022, 01:35 PM

Big fan of G&L and teles. Can't wait to hear what you think.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:41 PM

That sucks. I'm surprised that these are made at a different factory than the other import G&Ls. Give it a chance and if it's a winner you can keep it, if not return it and wait for a Tribute. I used to see them frequently on sale at MF (this was a few years ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I did a little research after I clicked the buy button... I assumed that it was a Tribute. But it's listed at MF as Placentia Series (that "i" in that word is doing a lot of work), I saw that, but my brain translated it as being part of the Tribute series.

Over at "The Gear Page" there was a discussion about this. It seems that MF had been selling G&Ls labelled as Tribute but which were specially made for them, and were of lesser quality than the Tributes available elsewhere; speculation was that this didn't sit well with other dealers trying to sell the real thing. It seems that this new "Placentia" (again, note the "i" in that word) series is made specifically for MF and allied companies, and seems to be of lesser quality. To wit: not G&L pickups, not brass saddles, not made in the Cort factory as Tributes are.

After reading that, I tried (not very hard) to cancel the order, but was unable.

For $275 (down from $450) it'll probably be fine, and interesting to compare to my Tribute Alnico V that I got from Sweetwater.

Anyway, it looks pretty nice, it's something different:

But, will it be better than an SX at about half the price? Dunno.
Can probably recoup my money selling it locally if it doesn't work for me.
Old 04-20-2022, 01:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
That sucks. I'm surprised that these are made at a different factory than the other import G&Ls. Give it a chance and if it's a winner you can keep it, if not return it and wait for a Tribute. I used to see them frequently on sale at MF (this was a few years ago).
I should clarify that I'm not certain about that. My source is one guy on a different forum who said he had talked to G&L about it.

My other "tele" is a Tribute ASAT Special Edition that I got from Sweetwater for a pretty good deal too... though, that's in Sonic Blue (or, some version of it), which I have to admit isn't my favorite color... kind of a bluish, greenish white.

(Call me Dan)
Old 04-20-2022, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

I hope you like the guitar when you get it. But even if you don't like it, you can't lose much money on a $275 guitar. Or, for that price, it could be a mod platform if you like the neck.

WRT that name, they had lots of words to pick from, and lots of letters to make up their own word, and they picked THAT one?
Old 04-20-2022, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warfrat73 View Post
I should clarify that I'm not certain about that. My source is one guy on a different forum who said he had talked to G&L about it.
guitarsbyleo is quasi official and says the same - Chinese manufactured, not G&L pickups. And the specs provided on the MF page for the ASAT one say Cort hardware and neck pickup (though they claim the bridge pickup is G&L)

Considering that when they’re not a SDOTD their standing price at MF/GC isn’t that much less than the street price for a equivalent model Tribute, the Tributes seem even more of a bargain….
Old 04-20-2022, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPappy View Post
WRT that name, they had lots of words to pick from, and lots of letters to make up their own word, and they picked THAT one?
Placentia CA is next to Fullerton…
Old 04-21-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingfingers View Post
Placentia CA is next to Fullerton…
I know that G&L is headquartered in Fullerton but strange that they would pick Placentia for the model name for an inexpensive guitar build overseas.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

It showed up today. Made in China, as opposed to the Tribute which is made in Indonesia.

It's not bad. I like the looks. It's a little bit lighter than the Tribute (which is nice). Tuners feel good, solid, tight. Finish feels nice, it doesn't FEEL like one of those super thick cheap finishes. The frets are on the small side (which seems odd). The neck is nice, pretty close to the Tribute, I think I like this one a touch better... the fretboard looks better (my tribute has some dark grain lines on it which don't look great). The setup is atrocious, I need to take care of that. The bridge is definitely of lesser quality, but it doesn't feel bad or cheap.

Hard to say without addressing the setup, but the bridge pickup on the Tribute seems hotter and more full. The humbucker in the neck seemed pretty muddy and boring at first, but once the tubes in my Fender '65 DRRI got warmed up, it started to come around. I seem to recall having a DiMarzio PAF lying around somewhere...hmmm.

Not bad at all for $275.

(Call me Dan)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars