The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-03-2022, 05:25 AM

Default Strap Locks

I'm in the market. Show me your favorites. Thanks!
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 04-03-2022, 06:28 AM

On my acoustic guitar I find the little leather tabs on my Sully straps fit so securely I've never considered using any kind of strap lock. Both the endpin and the button I have on the treble side of the neck are a very tight fits for the slotted holes on the tabs. Never had one come loose or even seem like it wanted to come loose (even on previous guitars I've owned).

But my electric guitar is so darned heavy I do worry a bit about the holes in the strap eventually stretching out and getting loose. So I put a pair of the uber-cheap Fender rubber washers on there. It was an EXTREMELY tight fit getting the rubber washer and the thick leather strap tab both onto the buttons. No way these are coming off, I think the guitar would break before the strap comes loose.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2046.jpg (36.2 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2047.jpg (35.6 KB, 292 views)
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-03-2022, 06:34 AM

I've gigged with Schaller (my favorite) and Dunlop strap locks but now I just use the Grolsch beer washers. I bought a 100 pack a few years ago for under $10, which is more than a lifetime's supply.

You can also buy the Fender washers but they're more expensive and do the same thing (I bought a 4 pack of them)

Old 04-03-2022, 06:58 AM

Default Strap Locks

I’m a big fan of the Fender washers, with good firmness to the rubber and a tight fit around the strap button, but they are expensive for what they are. I get these no names brand when I see them. They work great.

The Schaller strap locks are very good as long as you check them every once in a while and tighten the lock ring and set screw. They are long and if you leave your strap on your guitar you may have to trim the inside of your case for fitment.

Old 04-03-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
I'm in the market. Show me your favorites. Thanks!
No real favorite; I started with Schallers and stuck with them because they work, and it's what I'm used to. I use a gig bag and almost never take the strap off, so fit isn't an issue. In those rare cases where I need to take the strap off and use my hard cases, it's easy. And so much of this depends on the strap you're using: how firm/floppy are the ends? How thick? A very thick and firm end, like on my Levy straps, needs to be compressed overnight around the hole in order to flatten it before putting the Schallers in. No big deal, just an example. There are LOTS of good solutions, none really any better than the others.

If I were starting from scratch I'd consider (1) the washers the other guys mentioned, and (2) doing nothing. I'd lean toward doing nothing, honestly. If you get a decent leather strap like the Levys, it's going to fit pretty firmly on every end pin I've ever seen. Unless you do acrobatics on stage, that guitar isn't going anywhere. But if you must do something, I'd start with the washers: cheap and easily reversible.
Old 04-08-2022, 08:37 AM

I tried a few options and settled on Schaller. I take straps on and off all the time. They work great.
Old 04-08-2022, 09:02 AM

The rubber washers work very well, and I use them on some guitars. A great way to do the job cheaply. That said, I bought an American Std Strat new in 1989, and I asked the shop owner what were the best strap locks he had. Without hesitation he said, "Schaller". I told him to put some on the Strat before I picked it up. They are still there today, 33 years later, and have performed perfectly.
Old 04-08-2022, 12:57 PM

Schallers rule.

But you do have to pay attention that things are still tight and aligned right from time to time.

The rubber washers, that everyone tries to say are the best solutions, really are not.

You have to leave the strap on the guitar at all times, like when in the case... That don't work at all for things like SGs and Les Pauls and thick suede straps.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-08-2022, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Schallers rule.
The rubber washers, that everyone tries to say are the best solutions, really are not.

You have to leave the strap on the guitar at all times, like when in the case... That don't work at all for things like SGs and Les Pauls and thick suede straps.
I think the rubber washers work well for people with gig bags/soft cases instead of hard cases and/or people whose guitar stay at home almost all the time.

Both of those apply to me and the rubber washers work well.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 04-08-2022, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

I settled on Schallers also, after trying several different methods. I like them because:

The guitar rests in a cradle fitting. if they fail mechanically, the guitar still won't fall. (and I've never had one fail)

You can put the locks on your favorite strap, and easily move it to any guitar with Schaller buttons. (all my electrics have Scaller buttons)

Only problem I have with Schaller is the auto correct kept changing it to Schiller during this post.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 04-08-2022, 02:23 PM

Never used 'em, never needed 'em...
Old 04-09-2022, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letterk View Post
I tried a few options and settled on Schaller. I take straps on and off all the time. They work great.
Agreed. The only issue I've had is getting them installed on the strap tight enough so they don't rotate.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 04-09-2022, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
Agreed. The only issue I've had is getting them installed on the strap tight enough so they don't rotate.
Pliers work.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I think the rubber washers work well for people with gig bags/soft cases instead of hard cases and/or people whose guitar stay at home almost all the time.

Both of those apply to me and the rubber washers work well.
yea, gig bags won't be a problem for any kind of strap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
that is one of the things you have to watch for,, and making sure the post on the gutiar stays tight as with any strap pin the screws can get loose.

the newer shcallers have a longer thread post which helps for thicker straps and they have improved they way they are secured with a thumb wheel & a locking set screw. You can really crank em down and the don't loosen up.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-10-2022, 10:16 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Schallers rule.

But you do have to pay attention that things are still tight and aligned right from time to time.

Neither is actually completely true. The rubber washers are not "the best solution" and the Schallers do not "rule"
They are simply two different approaches to securing the strap, and both with some compromises .

And As far as leaving the strap on in the case , that depends more on the design of case, than the guitar brand or profile , some do not work, some do..Of my 4 acoustic guitar cases only one prohibits leaving the strap on

Both my electrics can have strap on in the case .

The PRS below is a similar profile to an LP (raised top ) and both it and Tele work fine in these
Fender Cases both with heavy padded thick leather straps

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars