The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-19-2022, 07:46 AM

I’m an instrumental music teacher who’s main instrument was trumpet. When my students would asked me what instruments I played, my canned response was “everything except the bagpipes”. I decided to change that this year (New Year’s resolution) and have been working with Great Highland Bagpipes as well as mouth-blown small pipes. It’s by FAR the hardest species of instrument I’ve ever encountered. I’m making progress, but it is slow and humbling. If you ever hear a bad piper, give them a complement anyway. A ton of work has gone into making them sound as good (or bad) as they are!
Recording King RD-328
Epiphone 1934 Olympic
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Recording King ROS-11-FE3-TBR
Alvarez AJ-417/12
Silvertone 1958/9 620 Jumbo
Supertone 1941 3/4 Scale (Terz?)
Oscar Schmidt 3/4 Scale
Kepler Biscuit Reso
Old 03-19-2022, 08:52 AM

That's my standard reply as well.* I'd love to take up the pipes, but don't see it happening - wire clarsach is likewise its own deep rabbit hole, and affords me much of the same piping repertoire - pibroch being some of my favorite form.

*Although I don't play/study Indian classical music. For years I was very close to getting a dilruba, but was actually able to talk myself out of it - finally deciding I had enough going on. I also never got a nyckelharpa, although I do play hardingfele. If I were younger I'd prbly do it, but...

Playing accordions of all types kind of assuaged my compulsion for more instruments - plays pipe tunes well, etc. - beat out the hurdy gurdy too.

Congratulations on taking up the pipes!
Old 03-19-2022, 11:21 AM

The first instrument I ever purchased was a harmonica. Unfortunately, I soon discovered that it's a lot easier to sound like Neil Young than Sonny Boy Williamson. (I do still play harp on very rare occasion.)

D.H.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments