The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-11-2022, 09:22 PM

Default Fret wire size?

On to builds I'm getting done I've picked large fret wire

.095 x .047 Evos

Any comments on size?

I have a friend that says they may be too big

24 3/4" scale, 1 3/4" at the nut, 16" radius.....Flat tops, one om, one 12 fret cutaway dred.

Comments?

Just want to be sure its all good

Last edited by Harley90; 02-11-2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 09:29 PM
Charter Member

I prefer that exact size. Get stainless steel or EVO gold wire.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-11-2022, 09:56 PM
Charter Member

I like that size Jescar EVO on my archtops, I personally prefer Jescar EVO 0.043” x 0.080” on my acoustic flattops. Fretwire is very much a personal preference.
Old 02-12-2022, 04:05 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley90 View Post
On to builds I'm getting done I've picked large fret wire

.095 x .047 Evos

Any comments on size?

I have a friend that says they may be too big

24 3/4" scale, 1 3/4" at the nut, 16" radius.....Flat tops, one om, one 12 fret cutaway dred.

Comments?

Just want to be sure its all good
Harley,
It may be too big for your friend, but he's not paying for, or playing, your guitars.

I use 6100SS on my electrics and acoustics.

If you have a 'death grip' and prefer light gauge strings, you can definitely have issues with pressing the strings sharp.

I don't have a death grip, and I use relatively heavy strings.

Good luck with your builds!

Howard Emerson
Old 02-13-2022, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

55090 is my wire of choice. Makes it easy to get under the strings. Makes it easy to barre chords cleanly. But I can handle wire that’s a little shorter if need be. I do not like vintage wire at all.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:51 PM

I think you’ll get used to them -

I bought a dread from a flatpicker that had 6100’s installed and just couldn’t get used to them - felt like I was driving over railroad tracks when playing up or down the neck.

Had some 55090 evo gold’s installed and that was a huge improvement, for me and my style of play for many years - but eventually again not good enough for my particular needs.

Took the guitar in for a minor adjustment and decided to make my last change to 43080 evo golds and have been a happy camper ever since.

It was not so much the width of the frets, it was the height that I’d been used to on most all my previous guitars. Try, if you can, playing some guitars with taller frets before installation - evo fretwire is very, very hard alloy and most luthiers I know would rather change them out instead of trying to take them down - even just a little
2019 Ryan Nightingale Bearclaw Sitka/EIR

Old 02-16-2022, 05:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Harley,
It may be too big for your friend, but he's not paying for, or playing, your guitars.

I use 6100SS on my electrics and acoustics.

If you have a 'death grip' and prefer light gauge strings, you can definitely have issues with pressing the strings sharp.

I don't have a death grip, and I use relatively heavy strings.

Good luck with your builds!

Howard Emerson
Nice graphic, Howard. I have liked and used 6105s for many years, electrics and acoustics alike. Lately I've gotten some guitars with lower (normal?) frets and I don't recall what I used to dislike about them. I recently got one guitar refretted with lower frets and it plays beautifully. However, going back to the taller frets always feels like it's easier to play. I use lights with the tall frets.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:19 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by soma5 View Post
Nice graphic, Howard. I have liked and used 6105s for many years, electrics and acoustics alike. Lately I've gotten some guitars with lower (normal?) frets and I don't recall what I used to dislike about them. I recently got one guitar refretted with lower frets and it plays beautifully. However, going back to the taller frets always feels like it's easier to play. I use lights with the tall frets.
A pet theory of mine is that the majority of the manufacturers use smaller wire because they don't want complaints about intonation issues caused by death grip, but I have no proof, of course.

What the majority of players fail to grasp is this: When you press on a string, the string is pushing into the flesh, but that is not an uncomfortable thing in and of itself.

The part that makes it uncomfortable is when the fingerboard stops your fingertip from going any further, but the string might not be in firm contact with the fret.

At that point you're pressing your fingertip even more, and it's squashing/spreading against the fingerboard while the string is now being dug in even more.

THAT is why bigger fret wire is more comfortable: String to fret contact happens sooner, so there is less fingertip to fingerboard contact, and I have no doubt it is exactly why I really don't have much in the way of callouses on my fretting hand.

But what do I know? I've only been playing for 59 years.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Old 02-20-2022, 01:04 PM
Charter Member

I feel once your left hand is off the fretboard then thats all you need. Whenever I need a fret dressing, and I do it at the slightest sitar sound, mainly on the treble 3rd fret, so I go ahead and re-fret. My tech charges $165 for a fret dressing with a setup and $360 for a refret with a setup, so for an extra $200, I will never need another setup so it’s worth it to me. I’ve used EVO or stainless in Dunlop 6155 (0.103" x 0.047"), Jescar 47095 (0.047" x 0.095"), 47104, or 55090.
Old 03-06-2022, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I prefer that exact size. Get stainless steel or EVO gold wire.
Love Evo. Perfect compromise between nickel and stainless steel. I find stainless steel a little too hard, which impacts the feel, but Evo is perfect.
Old 03-06-2022, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennesseeWalker View Post
I think you’ll get used to them -

I bought a dread from a flatpicker that had 6100’s installed and just couldn’t get used to them - felt like I was driving over railroad tracks when playing up or down the neck.

Took the guitar in for a minor adjustment and decided to make my last change to 43080 evo golds and have been a happy camper ever since.

It was not so much the width of the frets, it was the height that I’d been used to on most all my previous guitars. Try, if you can, playing some guitars with taller frets before installation - evo fretwire is very, very hard alloy and most luthiers I know would rather change them out instead of trying to take them down - even just a little
I had a nearly identical experience with a guitar set up for bluegrass (Dunlop 6100 which are .058 tall) and found I much prefer shorter frets.

I was susceptible to pulling notes sharp and running over railroad tracks when sliding. 43080's are more comfortable and don't require technique adjustments which are new tricks for this old dog.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
A pet theory of mine is that the majority of the manufacturers use smaller wire because they don't want complaints about intonation issues caused by death grip, but I have no proof, of course.

What the majority of players fail to grasp is this: When you press on a string, the string is pushing into the flesh, but that is not an uncomfortable thing in and of itself.

The part that makes it uncomfortable is when the fingerboard stops your fingertip from going any further, but the string might not be in firm contact with the fret.

At that point you're pressing your fingertip even more, and it's squashing/spreading against the fingerboard while the string is now being dug in even more.

THAT is why bigger fret wire is more comfortable: String to fret contact happens sooner, so there is less fingertip to fingerboard contact, and I have no doubt it is exactly why I really don't have much in the way of callouses on my fretting hand.

But what do I know? I've only been playing for 59 years.

Best,
Howard Emerson
Agreed, and then some.

I think I actually have a death grip problem, and I'd still rather not deal with low frets. My old joints can't stand them. I sold an OM-28-alike Alvarez acoustic that I still miss the sound of because of "vintage frets." that were killing my finger joints. I should have had it re-fretted! I have a fretless Jazz bass. Love the sound. But even with the large bass strings, I can't play it every day or for long periods.

If I was of a budget that allowed a full custom build that I wouldn't even be sure I'd be happy with, but still could afford to try, I'd consider having the upper part of the fretboard scalloped, but then I've always liked those Asian instruments that use that much basement space under "string is fretted now" for that quick vibrato thing too.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop