The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 08-16-2016, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitarro View Post
The luthier industry today would not be the same if it were not for Jim Olson. He was one of the most important factors to make this Golden Age of Luthiery possible where so many are going full time building increasingly better and better guitars.

James taylor is by some distance the most well known star in popular music to use exclusively a solo luthier made guitar in his performances and recordings. Olson guitars is also the only independent solo luthier made guitar ever to have made it to the Simpsons cartoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
In addition to Mr. Taylor, Let's not forget Phil Keaggy, who has been playing his Olsen for....20+ years. I'm not sure on the exact number but it's been a while. He is a musician who could have any guitar he wants, in multiples, but has chosen his Olsen as his number one all along.
Indeed Jim has several fine artists playing his guitars and he always mentions Phil Keaggy as a major reason of his commercial success -- but JT is about 100 million records ahead of the rest of them combined.

And BTW it's Olson, with two Os...
Old 08-16-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
It's a shame that whoever spec'd it chose plastic bindings. If it was $13k, I'd probably buy it.
I hear you on the plastic thing but some of the most coveted guitars in history have plastic bindings.

My maple SJ has grained ivoroid bindings and it looks gorgeous in person.

Robin's prices are usually fair and I have no doubt she'll find a taker for that guitar without further haggling.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I own a Pernambucco Olson (not the one mentioned above) with a German spruce top. It is easily the best Olson I have ever owned or played for my ears, taste and style.
I've only played one spruce/rosewood Olson SJ but it was so decked out with inlays that I barely touched it. Even if I was super careful with it, I almost banged it against a table at Jim's shop... Sigh...

If I could score another SJ, it would be spruce with some kind of rosewood-y back and sides.
Old 08-16-2016, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've only played one spruce/rosewood Olson SJ but it was so decked out with inlays that I barely touched it. Even if I was super careful with it, I almost banged it against a table at Jim's shop... Sigh...

If I could score another SJ, it would be spruce with some kind of rosewood-y back and sides.
Pernambucco is not a rosewood. I have two pernambucco guitars, and I honestly have to tell you, I've never heard another tonewood quite like it. It seems to combine the attributes I like best in Braz, mahogany and maple all together into one package. Very musical, very lively, very quick response with some overtones. Check out a pernambucco guitar from a builder you like and are familiar with sometime and see what you think. I'd be surprised if you didn't like what you hear.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 08-16-2016, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I hear you on the plastic thing but some of the most coveted guitars in history have plastic bindings.

My maple SJ has grained ivoroid bindings and it looks gorgeous in person.

Robin's prices are usually fair and I have no doubt she'll find a taker for that guitar without further haggling.
Yes, Robin's prices are very fair especially compared to some other dealers. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from her again.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
It's a shame that whoever spec'd it chose plastic bindings. If it was $13k, I'd probably buy it.
While it is reasonably priced, if you would pay 13k you should offer that. The seller may be motivated, and that's not an insulting offer.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
Pernambucco is not a rosewood. I have two pernambucco guitars, and I honestly have to tell you, I've never heard another tonewood quite like it. It seems to combine the attributes I like best in Braz, mahogany and maple all together into one package. Very musical, very lively, very quick response with some overtones. Check out a pernambucco guitar from a builder you like and are familiar with sometime and see what you think. I'd be surprised if you didn't like what you hear.
I realize it's not a rosewood and I've never played one myself actually. I don't want to incorrectly paraphrase Jim O but that's who I took my rosewood-y comment from. I'd have to play a cedar/Pernambuco SJ alongside my cedar/BRW SJ to hear the differences myself.

I already have a yellowish guitar though (Ceylon satinwood is great and rosewood-y as well although I don't have another Petros to compare it with) so my next one (not sure when it's going to happen due to the low Canadian dollar) will mostly likely be cocobolo...
Old 08-16-2016, 08:26 PM

Doyle Dykes is playing two Olson SJ's with Spruce/Pernambuco, one with and one without a cutaway.

Here is a video of him introducing his second one with a cutaway. Very sweet sounding guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHFHCXCqH8s

Olson SJ CED/IRW, Charis SJ SITKA/MAP, Charis SJ ENG/IRW, Charis GC Thinbody SITKA/IRW, Lowden O25c, Larrivee C19, Larrivee OM-03R, Voyage Air VA-OM 04
Old 08-16-2016, 08:46 PM

Hi There,

I have played and worked on several Olson in my lifetime of handling guitars.

They have have one thing in common ...exceptional detailing, clean workmanship and finished inside plus outside is outstanding.

I personally own an Olson SJ cutaway Indian/Cedar. I bought it from one friend then sold it back to him and then bought it back from it coz i love and missed it.

It has that sweet tone and reminds me of the James Taylor tone sound found on all his CDs.

Before you go out and get the CxxxxxS which they said sounds better than an olson. Let me give you a run down. It's not the same. One for sure is the Olson neck's profile is way much more easier to play. I have had a CxxxxxS before so I know what it means. The closest neck profile would be a Tom Doerr Legacy series. Though I have not played a Cedar Top Doerr but i can imagine how good it will sound as I have a german top Doerr and they are good.

Here is a sampling of my Olson on one of my own composition.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K-u7Q5dLjw

enjoy the Olson
Old 08-17-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjudd View Post

Olson guitars are considered by acoustic enthusiasts to be among the best/most desired modern luthier-built guitars. From the standpoint of the instruments holding their value, you really can't go wrong with an Olson. Other custom luthier-built guitars may be nice, but may have a limited market, making selling them difficult if you get one that you tire of or that just doesn't inspire you. That's not the case with Olsons. They are very desirable, they hold their value, and if you ever want to sell yours, people will be lining up to buy it.
As someone who currently owns more than 5 Olsons, and I have bought and sold maybe another 20, not sure I could identify another guitar that has held the value or even increased in value, like Olsons. They are spectacular.

There are indeed excellent other hand made guitars by many of the luthier's frequently chatted about in here....and I am sure if you choose well, you won't be disappointed. Not sure it will retain the value like an Olson, but of you are planning on keeping it for a long time...maybe it doesn't matter.

Olson Brazilian Dread #1325
Olson Brazilian SJ #1350
Olson Tiger Myrtle Dread #1355
Olson Brazilian Jumbo #1351
Olson 12-string Jumbo (one of only a few)
Martin D-42 Johnny Cash #51/200 (only 80 made)
And a few others

Quite a few limited edition and rare Martins
-----------------

http://www.kekomusic.com
Old 08-17-2016, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Here is a link to a podcast with Jim Olson that appeared on the Fretboard Journal website today.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...ier-jim-olson/

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 08-18-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bho View Post
Here is a link to a podcast with Jim Olson that appeared on the Fretboard Journal website today.

https://www.fretboardjournal.com/pod...ier-jim-olson/
Thanks for posting.....great interview.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Definitely a terrific interview, thanks for sharing the link.
Old 08-21-2016, 11:49 PM

Outstanding interview. A rare picture into the life journey of one of the pioneers and giants of the individual luthiery today.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:36 AM

I found it interesting that he's only made 20 guitars in 2016. The 20 individuals are very lucky!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop