The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-20-2013, 12:22 AM

Default Jason Simpson's Guitar

Has anyone ever experienced a Simpson guitar by Jason Simpson (playing, listening to, hearing about)? I have been interested in his guitars, but could only found several threads that have his name on.

http://www.simpsonguitars.com

http://guitargal.com/content/simpson-guitar-used-ga-c
Old 07-20-2013, 09:39 AM

Default Jason Simpson guitar

Hi,
I own a 2008 Simpson GA Dream Series. It is, without a doubt, one of the finest guitars I've ever played.

A few years back I went to the Swannanoa Gathering in Asheville, North Carolina. (Highly recommended... great fun and such a high caliber of music!) Since it's close by, I went to Dream Guitars, knowing that I would have a chance to play some of the best of the best guitars around. I played a lot of different guitars that day, some of which were way out of my price range. But, in the end, I found a used Simpson GA that blew me away.

First, the sound. Have you ever heard guitars described as sounding "like a piano"? My first thought was, "why would I want a guitar that sounds like a piano? It's a guitar!" What's being described, though, is the deep resonance and sustain, a voice that's very different from say, a vintage Martin. I love that Martin tone (I also have a Martin OM42), but the Simpson has a more modern tone...

Second, the look. Jason makes an amazingly beautiful guitar. His attention to detail is unparalleled, and it shows. I believe that most, if not all, of his newer guitars have a bevel, which really makes a difference for me. The GA is a larger body guitar (lower bout is 16"), but it's so comfortable to play because of the bevel, in my opinion. I'm also a fan of the side soundport, which subtly increases the sound to the player.

Third, Jason is a straight up kind of guy, very easy to deal with and passionate about what he does. For him, making guitars is part of his spiritual calling.

Check out the Dream Guitars website, looking under Previously Sold instruments. There are several Simpsons there, including the one I bought (http://www.dreamguitars.com/sold-gui...pson_gac_0293/)

Here's a clip of me playing my Simpson. Please forgive the errors in playing! Also, this was recorded on a Flip camera, with no additional mic or preamp, so consider that when listening to the sound of the guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKkcq30VJY

You will not be disappointed with a Simpson guitar. Mine is a life time keeper.

Best,
Angela
Old 07-20-2013, 09:43 AM

Default Jason Simpson guitar

By the way, the Simpson guitar on Guitar Gallery.... great price for a Cocobolo!
Old 07-21-2013, 07:15 AM

Thank you so much, Angela, for your kind reply. I am thinking of pursue after his guitar and your opinion really encourage me. I really like that "piano-like" sound I hear from the Simpsons.

Best,
Pup
Old 07-21-2013, 06:52 PM

@ 3 weeks ago I bought the Simpson SJ German Brazilian that was on the Guitar Gallery. I admit I was quite skeptical about the high praise and reserved a three day try out period. I am quite surprised by how great it is and still can't really believe it. Not only is the build quality first rate, but the sound is more impressive. Very clear and the volume of every note can be controlled. It does everything well in a very musical way. I was told, but just didn't expect this.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by womenhealers View Post

Here's a clip of me playing my Simpson. Please forgive the errors in playing! Also, this was recorded on a Flip camera, with no additional mic or preamp, so consider that when listening to the sound of the guitar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSKkcq30VJY

Angela...if I could play as beautifully as you do, I'd forgive myself an errror or two...only one slightly disturbed the flow of your playing, and that's more important than note-for-note perfection to me.

Heck...if I was as handsome a man as you are a beautiful woman, I'd forgive myself pretty much anything...

And the Simpson also sounds fantastic!

For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2006 Art & Lutherie Ami Parlor: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Black Satin Lacquer
2006 Art & Lutherie Dreadnought: Solid Cedar Top/Wild Cherry Lam B&S/Natural Satin Lacquer

You can't change the tide with an oar. ---Nick Bracco (Gary Ponzo)
Old 07-22-2013, 11:40 PM
Charter Member

Angela, very nice playing on your Simpson guitar. Your Martin guitar sounds great also, and it is a beautiful instrument.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleonCedar View Post
@ 3 weeks ago I bought the Simpson SJ German Brazilian that was on the Guitar Gallery. I admit I was quite skeptical about the high praise and reserved a three day try out period. I am quite surprised by how great it is and still can't really believe it. Not only is the build quality first rate, but the sound is more impressive. Very clear and the volume of every note can be controlled. It does everything well in a very musical way. I was told, but just didn't expect this.
Thanks a lot, DaleonCedar. I also had my eyes on that guitar. It looks insanely elegant and sounds superb in the sound clips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reholli View Post
Angela...if I could play as beautifully as you do, I'd forgive myself an errror or two.
I totally agree. Didn't even notice while enjoying Angela's music
Old 07-26-2013, 12:59 PM

+1 on Jason Simpson Guitars. He was the builder that opened his doors to me when i started on this so called journey of luthiery. Aside from building great guitars, Jason is a great guy and his family is lovely as well. I've had the pleasure of visiting on multiple occasions, and i cannot say enough of their hospitality. As far as the guitars go, what more can i say that hasnt already been said?! they're top notch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop