The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 AM

Almost forgot, here are some clips of local Kenny Lamb taking it for a spin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IZWLeV86J0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIbbNVzZCsI

Jonathan
Old 07-13-2013, 08:20 AM

Wow! Kenny makes it sound like a million bucks! I hope you don't charge quite that much. Beautiful, beautiful work.
Old 07-13-2013, 08:30 AM
AGF Sponsor

Great work, Jonathan! Lovely guitar.

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 07-13-2013, 10:38 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Beautiful work, Jonathan !
Old 07-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Beautiful job once again Jonathan.
Old 07-15-2013, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Default Razo #12

I got to play the guitar last week soon after Jonathan strung it up but before his finishing touches. I was immediately impressed with the balanced sound, clarity of the individual notes and easy playability which all bode well for how its will sound down the road when its been played in. Jonathan used a slightly different bracing than in the past for this guitar and a new finish. Both changes he believes yeilded positive results.

Watching the video of Kenny Lamb putting her through the paces fingerstyle was really enjoyable. I sure wish that I had been at Guitar Sanctuary last Thursday to meet Paul Reed Smith and hear his impressions after playing this guitar. I'm planning on meeting up with Jonathan to take delivery this evening and debuting her at a living room acoustic jam tomorrow evening. So, I'll have some updated impressions of the guitar later this week. Now focusing on work today at the office may be a challenge!
Old 07-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Default Razo #12

I had the opportunity to play this guitar at a living room jam hosted by a friend a couple of nights ago that brought in some talented singers and pickers. We ran 3 acoustic electric guitars and 3 vocal mics and keyboards straight into the PA. Also had a 5 string electric bass played through a small combo Markbass amp and a mandolin.

I had Jonathan install a Baggs imix (element+ibeam) in #12 and I was able to dial in a really pleasing sound that stood out nicely in the mix of dobro,
Taylor(s) 814ce + 410ce and for a few songs a NS74ce. I sat out front for a few songs where other players took a turn playing #12 and several folks listening commented on how good it sounded and I certainly concur. Others who played the guitar also had very favorable comments about the playability, workmanship and sound.

I swapped out the antique gold 510 tuner knobs for an ebony set of knobs and I think they really complement the ebony headstock overlay. Jonathan
wants to take and post a few final pictures of the guitar Saturday in natural sunlight to show a truer representation of the madrose's color and varigation.

Thank you Jonathan for the opportunity to work with you, to communicate the type of sound, look and features that I wanted in this build and then stay out of your way for you to craft this fine instrument with your creative stylings and impeccable workmanship. This guitar hasn't spent a lot of time in the case...its just too much fun to play. Hope to meet some of ya'll in Healdsburg next month. It will be my first time to attend.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Razo #12

Jonathan came over yesterday and took a few more pictures of the guitar in natural light. I also brought out Razo#7 (sinker/macassar) and the two make a lovely looking and sounding pair.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 PM

Congratulations they both are stunning......Steve

On the work bench:
Razo 2013 #14 African BW/Sinker like #7 but not

Considering
Sexauer D45 Style Dred in BRW/TBD Traugott TBD - Olson TBD - So many others TBD
Old 07-21-2013, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

They both look simply beautiful!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Charter Member

Default Andy McKee Test Drive - Razo #12

Thanks Steve and Mike...you both have sweet new custom builds too. Steve you'll be playing your own Razo later this year .

5 years update:

I added a short iphone video of Andy McKee playing this guitar backstage before a show at the Kessler Theater in Oak Cliff, TX:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFZumHu3Ypk

This guitar sounded great from day one and has now received 5 years of regular play and is better than ever!

Last edited by doodahdoug; 10-04-2018 at 04:01 PM. Reason: added video link
Old 08-01-2013, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

#12 is another example of Jonathan's eye for detail and amazing workmanship ! Looks and sounds great.

I just spent a month in Santa Fe, and played #11 every day. As a mostly 12string guy, I have had to toughen up my 6 string callouses, but it now feels like I have been playing it forever. The sound carried so great up at those high altitudes.

Love my Razo !

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop