The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM

Spent this afternoon with the very gifted Mr. Hatcher at his new shop in Peterborough, NH. Beautiful town and inspiring setting, and Mark will begin my Greta there in October. Got to play a very fine Brazilian/Spruce older Greta model that is his own. An absolute dream guitar to play.

Today Mark patiently gave me a wonderful lesson in tap tones and we spent a long time listening to various tops. He already had the fantastic set of EIR for the body (my preference is for EIR) and given my style of play he suggested as very responsive cedar top. Amazing to hear the differences between sets. There was one very dark, almost light chocolate colored cedar that was stunningly complex tonally and very resonant. A lighter cedar top was equally appealing but for different sonic reasons.

Lots to consider in the months to come and I'm glad to have such a talented maker guiding the way.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 07-31-2013, 07:42 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks Jon,

It was my pleasure meeting you in person. It is my preference for cedar matched with Indian Rosewood, especially for a lighter playing style.
When someone is there in person and I can have them hold and tap the cedar and make direct comparisons to other species. The differences can be quite striking!

Thanks Again,
Mark

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop