The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-31-2010, 11:24 PM

Default Fitting a pickup

Hello,

I have just purchased a Martin 00-15. It is my first 'real' guitar, and it is beautiful.
I have a Fishman Matrix Infinity pickup (http://www.fishman.com/products/details.asp?id=97) being kept behind the counter for me at the guitar shop; it was going to be a week to fit it, and I wanted to get the thing home first of all; so I can take it back to be installed by the luthier there.
I was just wondering what this will entail? The idea of the back being torn off of the guitar terrifies me. I don't even know if i'm comfortable with the button-hole being enlarged.
Put my mind at ease?

Kevin
Old 01-31-2010, 11:42 PM

Oh, it's UGLY! They use chisels, BIG hammers, a chainsaw and explosives! It's not for the weak of heart!

I just looked at the installation instructions. Why would the back of the guitar have to come off? All the work for the preamp installation is done through the sound hole.

A reputable luthier will make the guitar look like it was manufactured that way.

My one and only acoustic: Fender CD140SCE

Last edited by Craig_S; 02-01-2010 at 12:37 AM. Reason: i just noticed an additional question mark that needed to be removed.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 AM

I know nothing about the fitting process. That's why I've posted

The Luthier is the in-store tech at Guitar Guitar, probably the largest guitar store in the country, so I have faith in his ability. But the guitar is so new! I'm as paranoid about losing tone as I am about the aesthetic implications.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingpoint View Post
I know nothing about the fitting process. That's why I've posted
Don't be offended. I was just being silly.

My one and only acoustic: Fender CD140SCE
Old 02-01-2010, 07:44 AM

Don't worry, Fitting a pickup like the matrix is vary simple, and will not affect your guitar in any way negatively, if done correct. What's involved- enlarging the button hole for the strap-jack. This is done using a stepped reamer which carefully removes wood without damaging the finish. Then the saddle is removed and a tiny hole is drilled in the slot for the under saddle transducer. Then the saddle is adjusted by removing the thickness of the UST from the bottom returning your action to where it should be. the last part is installing the controls at the sound hole and placing the battery pack.

1952 gibson j150 (resurrection project)
1964 harmony archtop
1964 epiphone acoustic
1968 harmony flattop
epiphone 12 string
seagull artist series
yamaha fretless bass
2000 telecaster
Old 02-01-2010, 10:03 AM

This has put me a little more at ease. I'll need the pickup for playing live (I hate having a mic in front of my guitar) so I was facing a potential dilemma.
Still, I think I'll hold on to it for a couple of days, get to know it a little better
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM
Charter Member

Guitar Center is not known for employing the best luthier's or guitar techs. I'd look for a highly regarded luthier in your' area.

Also there are lots of pickups out there. The Fishman Matrix infiniti is not the only option for sure.

If you want to avoid reaming the end-pin hole, you can use something called the "Vintage Jack" sold by "Pickup the World". No reaming needed and you can always put the end-pin jack back if you later decide to remove the pickup. I'd definately look into that. If you go Vintage Jack, get the cable from Pickup the World as well. It uses a 1/8" mini jack with an angled plug.

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/VintageSystem.htm

Check out pickups from LR Baggs, K&K, Shertler, Pickup the World, and Fishman.
Old 02-01-2010, 10:50 AM

I'm not familiar with Guitar Centre, I mentioned Guitar Guitar, an enormous and highly reputable guitar store in Glasgow, Scotland.
I have looked at various pickups, and settled on the fishman, but I hadn't considered how obtrusive or inobtrusive any one of them may be to the guitar as it is, so I may consider this again, thank you
Old 02-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Guitar Guitar? I thought I read Guitar Center. Nevermind!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop