The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-30-2009, 04:13 AM

I have two builds in mind this year. First builds.

One being my own invention of sorts. Not that it won't be similar to other guitars. Can't reinvent the wheel can you? The wood will be what i can get my little paws on. I may even try a few in Sapele till i get the hang of it. I can resaw some i have in the shop. I did get a nice looking quilted cedar top i'll try on this one.

The other will be an electric though. I got a lovely piece of spalted maple i was going to use for the back of my acoustic but when it arrived it was about the size of a Les Paul design guitar. Opps. So not wanting to waste such a lovely peice of wood I"ll build a Carved–top, chambered solid body, 14 ˝" at the lower bout, with a 2" body depth, and a florentine cutaway. I think i'll try a 25 inch scale with 22 frets. At the end of the day it will pretty much look like a Les Paul, but in my opinion much nicer.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:18 PM

Default 2 Greven 000's on the way....

Figured I might as well through mine up here...

After pulling the trigger on this guitar I decided I "needed" two more. John Greven's guitars just speak to me. It's the closest thing to playing a pre-war martin without the price tag.

Here's a pic of the one I got a few weeks ago (Paul didn't mind me using the image from the DG site). This was John's personal guitar until Paul was able to talk him into selling it....the brazilian is OLD and has so much depth that pictures don't come close to the true beauty of this guitar.

The next 2 will be 000's
Guitar 1 will have a lutz top, spanish cedar neck with the birds beak option, and some sick "new" brazilian that was cut a few years ago

Guitar 2 will be of old growth brazilian and old growth adi that John so graciously allowed me to select, as a repeat customer, from his private stash.

To me, one of the best options is that the entire box is french polished and the necks oiled. Perhaps a subtle detail to many but a must have in my book.

I'm selling off a ton of stuff to pay for them...going well so far as one is paid for.

Jeff - Auburndale FL / Austin TX

SALE ITEMS

Old 01-01-2010, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

[QUOTE=BigSlick;2071651]To me, one of the best options is that the entire box is french polished and the necks oiled. Perhaps a subtle detail to many but a must have in my book.[QUOTE]

I couldn't agree more on the FP option. Great choice in woods, FP option and most of all the builder. I have a great deal of respect for John and his work! Congrats to you.
Old 01-01-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
I couldn't agree more on the FP option. Great choice in woods, FP option and most of all the builder. I have a great deal of respect for John and his work! Congrats to you.
Thanks....John is a great guy and I'm really looking forward to the next 2 guitars. The old growth one I ordered is going to be a clone of the one I bought from dream guitars and the 2nd a bit different but still in the vintage style...I'm sure they will compliment each other very well.

Jeff - Auburndale FL / Austin TX

SALE ITEMS

Old 01-01-2010, 10:16 AM

I only have one thing in the works for 2010, and it will more than likely be the only thing I get new this year.
I have become a big fan of "home grown" guitars from Virginia where I was born. My 2 Edmonds are just outstanding, and I am a big fan of Rockbridge guitars as well. I talked them into building me a 00 body last year, and I have the first one they ever built. (the second is at Cotten Music BTW)

Well Randall from Rockbridge offered me a "deal" on another guitar if I wanted one, so they are building me the "experiment".. LOL
I wanted a bit larger body guitar, but without the big body depth. So we started with their SJ body and dropped the depth to OM at 4 inches max. I wanted something that had good 'punch" and note separation for flat picking standards, so we are going with Hon. RW for the B & S and Adi for the top. It will be a straight bridge (non-belly) in Braz RW, and one of their first guitars in standard scale length. Style "21" tortise bindings like my Hog 00 has, with Braz head stock overlay and blank fretboard. And Brian is doing a little Rose and Heart inlay on the headstock for me.

Should see it sometime mid year. Might be able to pick it up while I'm in the hills for the Henderson Festival in late June.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:46 PM

Cool Kathy Wingert Model F, Made To Be Played!!

I have a Kathy Wingert Guitar coming soon! She's working on it as I write this. It's a Model F with a beautiful wood combo, selected by Kathy for beauty as well as properties that fit with my unique playing style. The top is a lovely grade of Adirondack spruce that she has been holding onto for me for a while. The back and sides are Cuban Mahogany. Jimmi Wingert is designing and executing the inlays. The bindings and comfort bevel will be Ebony. This is a lifetime guitar, built by two of my dearest.

We have already carved the neck to fit my hand. Oh yeah!

I'm having Kathy install a pickup, and it's coming with a Calton. This guitar will not be sitting at home alone. I'll play it a lot, and if it gets a bump or two, so what! It will sing the blues. It may even do slide.

Svea
Old 01-05-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svea View Post
I have a Kathy Wingert Guitar coming soon! She's working on it as I write this. It's a Model F with a beautiful wood combo, selected by Kathy for beauty as well as properties that fit with my unique playing style. The top is a lovely grade of Adirondack spruce that she has been holding onto for me for a while. The back and sides are Cuban Mahogany. Jimmi Wingert is designing and executing the inlays. The bindings and comfort bevel will be Ebony. This is a lifetime guitar, built by two of my dearest.

I'm having Kathy install a pickup, and it's coming with a Calton. This guitar will not be sitting at home alone. I'll play it a lot, and if it gets a bump or two, so what! It will sing the blues. It may even do slide.

Svea
Svea,
welcome to the forum, this is a remarkable first post, congratulations!. Make sure you start a build thread once you get pictures of the woods and the build progress.
Old 01-08-2010, 12:42 PM

Good choice! Kathy has made two E's for me German/Cocobolo in 04, and German/Koa in 08. Both are fantastic. Jimmi did the custom headstock inlay on the 04 instrument. I omitted inlay on the second one. Both are PLAYED

Kathy makes great guitars and is a fine person as well. Enjoy!
Old 01-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Kyle and I are not sure what 2010 will bring our way but it should include Kyle getting his masters degree in Civil Engineering (Structural).

On the build front we are working on two guitars right now that better be done in 2010 or we've got big problems.

Our smaller body LS Model:
3-piece back of Koa/Cocobolo/Koa
Sitka Spruce top
Ebony binding
5-piece neck

Our larger body MS Model:
Waterfall Bubinga b/s with Manzer wedge body profile
Carpathian Spruce top
Flame Maple bindings
Sound port

Kyle and I would also like to tackle an arm bevel sometime this year.

Building one-off acoustic guitars since 2008
Old 01-08-2010, 06:04 PM

Hahn 228
Hahn 1229
Hahn 229

And possibly:
DeTemple 56
DeTemple 52
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 690MBCOMMANDO View Post
Hahn 228
Hahn 1229
Hahn 229

And possibly:
DeTemple 56
DeTemple 52
Never even heard of any of these guys. Maybe because they don't have a soundhole?

Why do you need 5 Tele's, Commando?
Old 01-08-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post
Never even heard of any of these guys. Maybe because they don't have a soundhole?

Why do you need 5 Tele's, Commando?
LOL

Actually only 3 are teles....and "Of Course Honey They are All Different"...

The Hahns are a special one of a kind series of 3 guitars (only 2 of which are VERY different teles) that are all Brazilian FB, Quartersawn Silked Necks, Trans Brown Finish with Black Gloss Pickguards, Custom Hardware, all with Fralin Pickups, special laser etched bading, etc.

Tele's
228: 1 Piece Swamp Ash body (Fralin +2%'s)
1229: All Mahogany Body and Neck (Braz FB and Fralin +10%'s)

Strat:
229: Alder body

The DeTemples are a Strat and a Tele details to be revealed later.....

So they really ARE different honey....

Last edited by 690MBCOMMANDO; 01-09-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svea View Post

Svea
Svea....is that you? From CA...and APM?.....if so where's that CD?
Congrats on the guitar and welcome to the forum
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSlick View Post
Thanks....John is a great guy and I'm really looking forward to the next 2 guitars. The old growth one I ordered is going to be a clone of the one I bought from dream guitars and the 2nd a bit different but still in the vintage style...I'm sure they will compliment each other very well.
Congrats Jeff, I have a 00-12 Mad/Lutz from John and just love it. Amazing what he can do with wood!
Old 01-09-2010, 07:32 AM

Wow..just saw this thread..

I've got 2 builds coming this year..

The first is a John Greven mahogany/lutz 000 cutaway that's due in about a month. Sounds like BigSlick has a couple of 000's coming from John as well. It's gonna be raining Grevens in the next few months..can't wait..!

The 2nd build due in the fall is a Montuoro Guitars build based on a late 30's Larson Brothers Euphonon. It will look very similar to this guitar from the builders' website:

http://www.montuoroguitars.com/featured7_09.htm

Mine will have a little less bling but the same woods and other appointments.

I'm really excited about this one..!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop