The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-06-2022, 03:07 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
I love that your Grandson threw you that slam dunk

BTW I have learned some fiddle tunes, just not Bluegrass style
Ok, but beware, you may not know they are bluegrass until too late. Many fiddle tunes on Mandolessons.com are either bluegrass melodies or have become bluegrass standards. Just sayin, you did buy a Gibson.

Irish tunes like Banish Misfortune and the Irish Washerwoman are fun. Irish Washerwoman is a great pinkie workout. So are O'Carolan tunes.

Salt Creek and Cherokee Shuffle are too. Big fun, which is the point. And Monroe's Lonesome Midnight Waltz is very pretty. Old timey is fun, but this can also slip into bluegrass if you don't watch out.

Polly Wolly Doodle, being two chords, is a very good improv platform. It only takes a double stop or two to slide into bluegrass territory. Another that got me was Fair Play. It just sounded so back woodsy. Yep, Monroe. And Return to Dark Hollow.

Now I've become a Wayne Benson fan for his great teaching style on Wayne's World of mandolin. His "eat your vegetables" exercises are universal to learning the fretboard. I've found that all the best bluegrass players can play anything. Jazz, Classical, Pop, etc. Chris Thiele is just one example.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments