The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-05-2022, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Richlite or Rocklite for back and sides

These are both dense and heavy materials, rocklite like an ebony, and richlite denser and heavier. I wonder if they behave similarly to tonewood of close to matching metrics. Do these have the material qualities to be usable other than fretboards and bridges? Perhaps a tough sell on expensive guitars, it should be said, with a tradition bound market. I think richlite is about as heavy as african blackwood.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

Smile Interesting idea…

You may want to incorporate some helium somehow.

I expect we will hear from someone much more knowledgeable than I, soon!

A BOSS 2022 to all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 01-06-2022, 06:10 AM
AGF Sponsor

I’m not so sure your presumption of expensive guitar popularity is driven mainly by a “tradition bound market”. Maybe if this was vintage guitar or collectors forum that would be more true. In the custom market wood is popular because people like wood. They like the look, the feel, the smell, stories that go with it and most importantly the variety of tones it offers. Manufactured tonewood just isn’t going to evoke the same visceral response.

"A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking".
Steven Wright
Old 01-06-2022, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Do builders use African Blackwood or ebony for backs and sides?

I don't even like Richlite for a fingerboard so I can't imagine I'd be interested in a guitar with that for a back/sides regardless of price.
Old 01-06-2022, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
Do builders use African Blackwood or ebony for backs and sides?

I don't even like Richlite for a fingerboard so I can't imagine I'd be interested in a guitar with that for a back/sides regardless of price.
Rocklite is an entirely different product with actual grain. It is made as Ebano to use as an ebony substitute and Sundari, a faux rosewood.

These are very nice products, but not manufactured in the sizes appropriate for back and sides so it's really a moot point at this time.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Rocklite is an entirely different product with actual grain. It is made as Ebano to use as an ebony substitute and Sundari, a faux rosewood.

These are very nice products, but not manufactured in the sizes appropriate for back and sides so it's really a moot point at this time.
Richlite is available in sheets. On the Rocklite site there's a mando b&s made with it. I've never come across a guitar.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

I wonder how well the synthetics work with a chainsaw? The billets would probably be too heavy for my to lift into my pick up even if I do come cross some in the wild. Fortunately I am a traditional builder, and since non-live backs don't work well with my concept, no one will probably force me into a corner re using this stuff. What fun that would have been.
Old 01-07-2022, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fregly View Post
Richlite is available in sheets. On the Rocklite site there's a mando b&s made with it. I've never come across a guitar.
Joel Michaud has made a guitar out of Rocklite, using Sundari for the back/sides and Ebano for the fretboard and bridge. He mentioned that Rocklite and Richlite although similarly named couldn’t be further from each other regarding density and structure. Rocklite is much more ‘wood like' whereas Richlite is an extremely dense ‘plastic like’ material. He prefers Rocklite.

Last edited by vpolineni; 01-07-2022 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpolineni View Post
Joel Michaud has made a guitar out of Rocklite, using Sundari for the back/sides and Ebano for the fretboard and bridge. He mentioned that Rocklite and Richlite although similarly named couldn’t be further from each other regarding density and structure. Rocklite is much more ‘wood like' whereas Richlite is an extremely dense ‘plastic like’ material. He prefers Rocklite.

That looks a like tidy and interesting guitar. Very interested to hear what it sounds like as no matter how 'traditional' we may like to be, we simply can't keep using rainforest exotics - and what is most important is how this sounds, not what it is made from... I daresay most older builders have plenty of stock to keep them going, but the next generation, will certainly be using interesting alternatives and exploring new technologies in guitar making, and we should encourage and welcome that.
Old 01-08-2022, 03:42 PM
Charter Member

Zach Lefebvre shows off a richlite spruce parlor at 14:45

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DrggTlQffqw

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop