The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-30-2024, 11:52 PM
Charter Member

Default Elevate gobos?

I’ve done about 90% of the tracking on my new project using my 8 new DIY 2’ x 4’ x 3” Rockwool absorption panels. I hinged them in book-pairs and stood them around me on the floor in an 8-foot diameter, 3/4 circular cocoon.

I’d like to extend a hearty Thank You to the folks here who encouraged me to acquire these panels. My room is no longer fighting with me. Quite the contrary: I’ve got the cleanest, richest acoustic tones ever in my first song with the panels.

I was seated while tracking, so the panels rose to about a foot and a half above the soundhole. I’m now wondering if raising the panels about 15” would absorb even more reflections, and maybe clean up the tone even more. I’d still sit while I play. I figure reflections through a 15” gap at the bottom might be immaterial compared to those I get now from the five to six feet above the floor-standing panels. And I think the angle upward from the soundhole to the panels’ top at 5-1/2’ (3’ above the soundhole) would help attenuate most of the first and second reflections from around the room. I think. Certainly there’d be diminishing returns compared to just having the panels vs. not, but I wonder if there’d be some improvement from surrounding me more fully.

A few of you kind souls assured me I’d hear a positive difference with gobos (or wall-mounted panels) vs. no treatment. Et voilà! So, thanks again, and I wish I’d had them sooner.

Now let me know what you think the benefit might or might not be from raising the panels up higher.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC

Last edited by b1j; 04-01-2024 at 10:27 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD