The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Default Mayes "Black & White" Grand Concert Build

This is a guitar I've been wanting to build for a while now. I'll preface this thread with the following thought;

I know there are many people who strongly object to the use of Ivory in guitars. If parts of this guitar offend you or your sensibilities/morals I truly apologize for that. I have full documentation on all the ivory that is used on this guitar as being antique and harvested before the ban. I know many people still object regardless, and I don't completly disagree with you, however my feelings on the subject are not quite as strong as some of yours. I respect that and I would ask that the thread not be used as a platform for arguing/discussing the merits or flaws of the use of antique Ivory on guitars.

Ok that being said here is what I'm going to be building. It's my new model, the Eureka! Grand Concert. If you saw my thread entitled "Chasing Perfection" you have some background. If not check out this post in my blog: http://www.mayesguitars.com/index.ph...id=1&Itemid=50

Here are the specifications for the guitar:
  • Solid European spruce soundboard
  • Two piece African Blackwood back and sides
  • 5 piece Maple/ebony neck
  • African Blackwood fretboard with purfling lines
  • African Blackwood headplate with Ivory Mayes logo
  • Solid antique Ivory bridge
  • Nickel Waverly tuners with black pearl buttons
  • African Blackwood binding
  • Black Tahitian pearl rosette, with ivory scrimshaw medallion
  • Black Tahitian top purfling
  • Ivory nut and saddle
  • Ivory bridge pins
  • Mayes Eureka! style bracing
  • Two way adjustable truss rod
  • High gloss finish
  • Custom Ameritage case
These specifications are somewhat fluid. They will most likely change a bit as I'm building it as I'm going off inspiration, and feel at the moment. I'll mentione changes as they happen, but in my head right now this is the plan.

Lets start it off easy with the pictures of the top and back.

African Blackwood back and sides:

European spruce top:

Last edited by JohnM; 04-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:39 PM

Next up is the bridge. This is a new design for me. I drew it from scratch on my CAD program. This was, literally, the first 3D drawing I had ever done. I made a prototype bridge from a blank and measured and drew if based on that. It took me MANY hours to do the drawing (mainly due to a lack of my CAD abilities I'm sure!) A big tip of the hat to Ervin Somogyi, and Mario Beauregard for the influence on the bridge design. The pin spacing is 2.25" and the saddle is a bit wider at 3/16" wide to allow a bit easier time of compensation.

My CAD drawing:

And the process of milling the bridge via CNC from the initial surfacing through completion. There is a picture with the Ivory bridge along with a Brazilian, and Ebony for comparison.

Last edited by JohnM; 11-11-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:48 PM

John,

Cool bridge design! I'll be watching this build...

Hen
Clark: A-Wedge Monkeypod/Snkr Rdwd
Cornerstone: Zion All Koa
Cornerstone: Tenor Ukulele Prototype #2 All Koa
Fay: OM Mac Eb/Englemann
Stehr: Aud. Braz/Snkr Rdwd 8-str

Plaid Coyote's gone home to play
Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM

Awesome material choices. The contrast between the ABW and Ivory is going to be very nice. If you're going to use ivory this is the guitar to do it on. I look forward to seeing it done.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

Hi John,

I'm really looking forward to watching this build. Great choice of woods - I'm a huge fan of African Blackwood. I must confess i've never played a guitar with an Ivory bridge. I do like the look. How do you think it will change the sound? Would it be possible to achieve a similar sound with bone?

Kindly,
Danny
Old 11-06-2010, 08:07 PM

That is one of the best bridge designs I've seen. Sleek, ergonomic, no sharp edges against the palm of you hand if you lean on it for muting, elegant, organic..
Great job. Absolutely wonderful.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:11 PM
*mahoganut*

I've been looking forward to the start of this, John - thanks for all the details and the great pics!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 11-06-2010, 09:00 PM

These new models have a few features that are different than my more vintage styles. The fretboard is one of these. The standard material for my fretboards on these are African blackwood. It is framed by a thin maple purfling line. Here are some pictures of milling the fretboards out. I drew this as well in CAD and had them milled from these drawings.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:30 PM

this guitar is going to be just sick!!!! (in a great, fantastic way!)

how do you think this will compare to it's father? prototype 17?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM
Racman

I always follow any Mayes build thread and am looking forward to this one immensely John. Thanks for sharing John - much appreciated from a quality guitar starved South Africa!!.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:15 AM

John,

thanks for always sharing your work with us. i like what you did with that bridge. do keep us updated! i'll be following this thread

Collings OM2H Adi / Braz
Doerr Legacy Swiss / Braz
Franklin OM German / Braz
Franklin OM Carpathian / Braz
Goodall GC Italian / Honduran
Goodall GC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Braz
Goodall CJC Italian / Afr. Blackwood
McPherson 5.0 Full Koa
McPherson 5.0XP Adi / Braz
Martin D-28GE Adi / Braz
Old 11-07-2010, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi John,

I'll enjoy watching this develop. I was going for a similar 'black & white' theme in my recent Circa 00.

My decision to change from mahogany to flamed maple for the neck to integrate all the elements of the 'black & white' motif came late in the build process, and now it's one of my favorite features of the guitar.

Unless you were planning on a dark-stained neck, you might consider something similar for this project; the maple neck might really set off the blackwood beautifully, and mimic the lateral grain visible in the ivory bridge.

Best regards.

Guitars:'07 Circa OM, '09 Bashkin 00-12fret, '10 Circa 00 12-fret, '17 Buendia Jumbo, '17 Robbins R.1, '19 Doerr Legacy Select, '12 Collings 000-28H Koa. Pre-War guitars: '20 0-28, '22 00-28, '22 000-28. Mandolins: '09 Heiden Heritage F5, '08 Poe F5 , 1919 Gibson F-4, '80 Monteleone Grand Artist mandolin, '83 Monteleone GA (oval),'85 Sobell cittern.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovetaylors View Post
how do you think this will compare to it's father? prototype 17?
I hope it's better. Of course I hope every guitar I build is better than the last.

But I expect it to be even more what I have in mind for these models as the woods match up great with the tonal objective.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmagill View Post
Hi John,

I'll enjoy watching this develop. I was going for a similar 'black & white' theme in my recent Circa 00.

My decision to change from mahogany to flamed maple for the neck to integrate all the elements of the 'black & white' motif came late in the build process, and now it's one of my favorite features of the guitar.

Unless you were planning on a dark-stained neck, you might consider something similar for this project; the maple neck might really set off the blackwood beautifully, and mimic the lateral grain visible in the ivory bridge.

Best regards.
I watched your thread closely Jim! I have a connection with John getting to work with him for a while back in Dana's shop, and I love his work. He is a great guy and a super craftsman.

Thanks for the suggestion. Food for thought!!
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

The bridge looks far superior in the ivory- very nice- maybe a tip of the hat to Dana Bourgeois as well, though I'm sure he copied his predecessors too-
Schecter California Classic Strat 1990s

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop