The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-30-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Mesa B Rosette vs AER 60/3

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone has both the Rosette and the AER to give me their thoughts on comparing the two.
They are very different animals - wattage/features/tone controls/effects etc.
I have a 60/3 and it is an excellent acoustic amp and actually sounds very good for Archtop and even solid body electric clean tones. I just have never been as satisfied with the vocal channel, but it is good enough for what I do and I can add a Headway EDB2 for some additional tone tweaking if needed.

I have been researching the Rosette, especially the 1-10 combo. In my experience, Mesa makes an excellent product. I have had a Subway Rocket for over 20 years and it still sounds like it did when I bought it. The YT videos on the 1-10 are impressive as is MaurysMusic thread here on AGF with some live recordings.
So I am wondering whether it is worth stepping up to the Rosette.
Any responses are appreciated in advance,
Davidc
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM

Nobody out there?
Just kidding - any thoughts on this?
Old 01-31-2019, 08:55 PM

I've been looking at both of these. I have heard the AER, but don't remember much about it.

At least control wise, the Mesa looks like it has a little more flexibility. The 10 inch speaker would seem to sound a little better for my taste, and Maury's video and live stuff did sound good.

But I'd have to hear them to really know which would be best.

I've given up on the $500 - $750 amps for the lushness I want. Part of me says to get the new Orange Acoustic preamp -- or at least try it -- and pair with a powered speaker. Would like to see how the tube warms up the instrument channel.

All these are really overkill for me now, since I mostly play solo. But then, when I get a little time and manage to string 3 or 4 nice notes together, I want them to sound as good as they can.

My only real concern with Mesa is the ones I had back when I played electric had too many controls and they interacted in interesting ways, strange at time, and I always got some annoying little woof notes. Could have been the playing environment. The worse was a Mesa bass amp that crapped out on me.

Anyway, I really hope some people respond. I'd like to get educated.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:15 AM

Thanks Hoyt,
you are correct about the interactive tone controls. MB takes some time to get used to and some tweaking. That is evident by the videos that have to give you a “starting point” to shape your tone.

I have the 60/3 and it is an excellent product and certainly less complicated. It is difficult finding a Rosette to demo. When I do, I will take my 60/3 with me.
Old 02-01-2019, 12:02 PM

probably a good idea to take the 60/3 with you for
comparison. You may find the rosette isnt an
upgrade after all. I have heard some good vocal
videos on the rosette and would say its better than the 60/3 for vocals.
But for guitar ..the jury is still out...But you dont have
to pay for my opinion.
Old 02-01-2019, 01:13 PM

Thanks for the opinion Vmonter, probably worth some pay!
If I can find one for comparison - will let you know.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

What vocal microphones have you tried through your AER Compact 60?

I have tried a Shure SM-57, a Beyerdynamic M88, and a Shure KSM8. The KSM8 is the most pricey of the three but it's the one I usually reach for with my Compact 60. Big, clear, warm vocals. Sounds kinda like a ribbon mic. Just like with guitar pickups your mic can make a big difference.

Whatever your choice of microphone I definitely find the Compact 60 should be paired with a very good vocal microphone. The 57 sounded just OK to me. The 88 and KSM8 both sounded excellent.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:40 PM

I use an SM58/ tried an Audio OM5/ and also use a Shure headset 35. I may try the Headway EDB2 preamp that has more tone shaping.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

I asked my local dealer yesterday if they were getting a 1x10 Rosette. He didn't even seem to be aware of it. But he might order one. That said, he mentioned Mesa builds to order so it will be a few months if they get one at all.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification