The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-16-2016, 04:56 AM
Charter Member

Turbosound line-array systems are quite heavy, too. Great prices, though.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 11-16-2016, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
A friend with a good ear said he tried the Eon One and it doesn't sound nearly as good as his Turbosound i1000.

I have a Bose L1M2 with the works. I'm looking for something even more portable with simple setup as I play a lot of gigs where the Bose is overkill and my Loudbox isn't enough. I have some powered speakers and a mixer, but I'm looking for something with fewer cables and without a mixer etc...

Anyone compare the Eon One to the Turbosound models?
I can't tell from the photos on Sweetwater of the various Turbosound towers if you can "shrink" them or not. It doesn't look like it but it could just be that they don't have photos up of them in a smaller mode.

A nice part about the Eon One (and the Bose L1 Compact) is that you can use the system without extensions for more of a table top unit or use one extension if the situation calls for it.

One thing I try to keep in mind when I read or hear discussions of X system sounds better than Y system is that your audiences will probably never be given the opportunity of comparison.

Obviously I'm sure we would all like to be using the gear that sounds the best to our ears but in real-world, performance situations, most people are only showing up to a gig with one system. If that system best suits you, your music, your venues and your audience and if you are putting on an entertaining/ear-pleasing show, I don't think it would make a whole lot of difference if there is another system out there that sounds slightly better or slightly worse. (all opinion anyway)

With all that said, if you have the opportunity to compare and all of the features are equal, of course go with what sounds best to your ear.

Matt
Old 11-16-2016, 04:28 PM

I was able to try the JBL today and overall it was nearly perfect for what I want. I do wish it had more power for certain clubs where I'll just have to take the Bose. But for most uses it may be my best bet.

HOWEVER: My use would normally include two mics and one guitar (maybe two). The full channels work great. But I plugged a new Taylor directly into channel 3 and it was very quiet. For those using the JBL, how do you get enough signal into channels 3/4 to keep up with channels 1 and 2? This could be a deal killer.

Also I found that the Eon One is the same price directly from JBL with free shipping, free returns and an extended return period into January.

Last edited by DavidE; 11-16-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 05:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I was able to try the JBL today and overall it was nearly perfect for what I want. I do wish it had more power for certain clubs where I'll just have to take the Bose. But for most uses it may be my best bet.

HOWEVER: My use would normally include two mics and one guitar (maybe two). The full channels work great. But I plugged a new Taylor directly into channel 3 and it was very quiet. For those using the JBL, how do you get enough signal into channels 3/4 to keep up with channels 1 and 2? This could be a deal killer.

Also I found that the Eon One is the same price directly from JBL with free shipping, free returns and an extended return period into January.
The only thing I have tried in channel 3 is a Porchboard. It's a low end rhythm instrument. It was usable but needed some EQ.

You may be stuck with a mini mixer if you need that many "full-featured" channels. I don't know if any of these tower-type systems have had more than two channels, even going back to the classic Bose L1.

Although maybe not ideal, I just picked up a dbx GoRack. It is very compact and has a lot going for it for only $30. You might be able to use that for a very portable way to expand the Eon One.

Matt
Old 11-16-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
HOWEVER: My use would normally include two mics and one guitar (maybe two). The full channels work great. But I plugged a new Taylor directly into channel 3 and it was very quiet. For those using the JBL, how do you get enough signal into channels 3/4 to keep up with channels 1 and 2? This could be a deal killer...
I run my guitar and mic through the the VoiceLive 3x and am able to set the output level to mic or line.

Any DI box would work. Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre, BBE Acoustimax, Fishman Aura Spectrum, etc. But for the price of a DI you can probably get a small mixer, I have the Alto ZMX-122fx if I need more inputs, but it does add cabling to the setup. The DBX goRack that Matt mentioned is likely the cheapest option for adding inputs for your guitar(s).

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 11-16-2016 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post
The only thing I have tried in channel 3 is a Porchboard. It's a low end rhythm instrument. It was usable but needed some EQ.

You may be stuck with a mini mixer if you need that many "full-featured" channels. I don't know if any of these tower-type systems have had more than two channels, even going back to the classic Bose L1.

Although maybe not ideal, I just picked up a dbx GoRack. It is very compact and has a lot going for it for only $30. You might be able to use that for a very portable way to expand the Eon One.

Matt
My original Bose had 4 useable inputs I actually have a dbx drive rack are you suggesting I use that as a preamp between guitar and input? It's made to go between a mixer and Peter speakers but rules were made to be broken.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by open-road-matt View Post

Matt
Oh, I don't need a full featured channel, just one that accepts instrument level. Line is useless to me.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
I run my guitar and mic through the the VoiceLive 3x and am able to set the output level to mic or line.

Any DI box would work. Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre, BBE Acoustimax, Fishman Aura Spectrum, etc. But for the price of a DI you can probably get a small mixer, I have the Alto ZMX-122fx if I need more inputs, but it does add cabling to the setup. The DBX goRack that Matt mentioned is likely the cheapest option for adding inputs for your guitar(s).
I have mixers and DI boxes. How would a DI box help when the input is 1/4"?
Old 11-16-2016, 07:56 PM

Quote:
You are right, an XLR out of a DI won't work for the 1/4" line input on the JBL.

A pre-amp for the guitar isn't that much trouble is it? I mean it's small enough to fit in the bag or case you are already going to be bringing to the gig. There is no sacrifice of portability, just a little more setup.

Martin 00-18V (sitka/hog) Taylor GCce 12-fret LTD (all koa) Gibson Keb Mo (adi/hog) Cervantes Crossover I (cedar/pe) Breedlove Oregon Parlor LTD (all myrtle) Journey OF-660 (carbon fiber) Radial ToneBone PZ-Pre TC Helicon Play Acoustic Singular Sound Beat Buddy HK Audio Lucas Nano 608i Bose S1 Pro

Last edited by dragonfly66; 11-16-2016 at 08:02 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Oh, I don't need a full featured channel, just one that accepts instrument level. Line is useless to me.
Quote:
Quote:
You are right, an XLR out of a DI won't work for the 1/4" line input on the JBL.

A pre-amp for the guitar isn't that much trouble is it? I mean it's small enough to fit in the bag or case you are already going to be bringing to the gig. There is no sacrifice of portability, just a little more setup.
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=449582

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/

I think you'd like this. It comes in handy for all sorts of stuff.

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyllys View Post
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=449582

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubeMP/

I think you'd like this. It comes in handy for all sorts of stuff.
I have one of those unused and still in the box. Trying to avoid aging more outboard gear. I could just add my Fishman preamp/eq to my pedalboard. That should do the trick but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I have one of those unused and still in the box. Trying to avoid aging more outboard gear.
I'd go ahead and use it. It's aging just sitting in the box...

Theory is the post mortem of Music.
Old 11-16-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
I have one of those unused and still in the box. Trying to avoid aging more outboard gear. I could just add my Fishman preamp/eq to my pedalboard. That should do the trick but I'd like to hear from someone who's actually done it.
So you want to hear from someone who has used a pre-amp for a guitar plugged into the line input of the JBL One? I can try it with the the two pre-amps I have and let you know how it goes.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
So you want to hear from someone who has used a pre-amp for a guitar plugged into the line input of the JBL One? I can try it with the the two pre-amps I have and let you know how it goes.
That would be great. I just want to make sure there's enough gain getting to that input to match channels 1 and 2.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2016, 06:42 AM

Just got my Eon 1 delivered on Wednesday. After setting it up in my house for a trial run that morning, I took it to my gig the same night and then last night. Still learning it's subtleties but I think it will work just fine. Everyone seems to like the sound. I don't know why it doesn't come with a manual. It would have saved me much cave man logic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification