The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 AM

How do you guys feel about DIs? I dont see many people carrying their own stuff, but if you gig, the difference in the sound between using mediocre DIs and say a radial, can be very noticable. (Not to mention using something like the last posters avalon unit ).

And i ve also come to think that the best approach is to get a good system right on the guitar. Then when you re happy with it, you can keep things simple. So i just use my electric pedalboard with the acoustic sometimes (if i want effects). Zendrive, chorus, trem, delay, reverb, even a leslie sim sometimes
Old 08-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Cool

So many thoughts and yes good chuckles (The touchy-ness and thin skin sometimes people on here...lighten up...so many keep forgetting that this is a 1 dimensional screen we're typing into. Same comment sitting over a beer at a bar arguing guitars wouldn't get nothing more than some ribbing right back).

When it comes to acoustic I believe the sound of the guitar, playablilty of the player the actual music etc is what it's all about. I like DI's especially the radial's which for me is it for 'effects'. From Guitar>Radial J48 DI>split to the board and then signal to my amp for my on stage monitor. Simple, clean, pure sound i like / expect out of an acoustic. (Was j48 but just upgraded...so new i cannot even think of the name of this one without looking up and linking, but since it's not here yet, can't rate it either.)
Old 08-26-2013, 04:03 PM
Charter Member

My set up is pretty simple and basic (much like my abilities!):

Taylor T5 into a Zoom A2.1u Acoustic Effects pedal (uses Martin 00 model and programmed various effects such as reverb, temolo, phaser, delay) into an Xotic EP Booster which sweetens the whole thing then a TC Electronics Ditto looper and last an EHX Freeze pedal into my Genz Benz Shenandoah 85. Just the wife on vox and me on guitar doing mellow acoustic songs or versions of songs. Sounds great and pretty simple. Works for us.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:08 PM

Although I'm completely happy with this setup now, I'm sure it will evolve.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
I got a lot of those ! I'm not cheap I'm a purist.
Me too. Just a DI for the PA. I have one for my electrics but could live without that if I had to.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:50 AM

Trying to keep it fairly simple

Edit: Can't upload a picture at work by the looks of it. Shall add later.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:30 AM

I'm mostly an electric player, but I like to pull out some of the same toys when I play acoustic. My acoustic sound is usually either completely purist (e.g., no effects whatsoever besides the room ambience), or else completely drenched in time based effects, with the occasional tremolo added in. In that regard, I sort of treat the acoustic like an exaggerated hollow body electric guitar.

The comp is on there for solo boosts, and it works great in that application. The volume pedal is for volume swells into huge amounts of reverb and delay. I run guitar into board into a Baggs ParaDi, out to the house.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:47 AM

^^ Nice, am going to get a Timeline for my electric board, look like great bits of kit.

Got a picture uploaded...

Polytune > Baggs Venue with a TC Nova Reverb in the loop. Only thing that gets on my nerves a bit is the tuner on the Baggs, it'll be getting something stuck over it before long.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBurson View Post
Here's the board I just finished building for my acoustic/mandolin rig:

Just a side note, I do not know if this was intentional, but if you delete a photo on Photobucket it will also delete it on all forum posts.

Personally I see no problem with pedals used with an acoustic guitar, for artistic purposes. What matters is the performance not some arbitrary notion of purity. Not to mention the fact that any acoustic mic'ed and or running thru a pic up out to a pre amp - amp and speaker, is also technically "not acoustic"
As an example "My pedal board (sans board) for acoustic shows consists of a K&K Pure XLR Preamp and Morley Volume Plus volume/boost/mute pedal." why bother with the word "acoustic shows"

I've gotta say I am impressed at the number and diversity of pedals being used. Being lazy I have as of yet, not learned to use them and am sort of enjoying having only two items (besides my guitar/s) to haul to gigs although I suppose a board could be strapped to my rolling rack.

What you see here is from the top is a TC 3000 stereo reverb and Langevin DVC combo (2 channel mc pre/eq/limiter) and a Monster power conditioner.

Ready to go

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-01-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:36 AM

Delete (double post)

Last edited by 6L6; 11-28-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:14 AM

Mine has had an update. Full electric and acoustic board that I use at church:

Acoustic board comes off for gigs with my duo:
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Pert View Post
Here's mine:

Sorry-- I couldn't resist. I'm not a purist, just cheap.

I also have one just like it but it is carpet not wood.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:43 AM

This one!!!
Old 09-02-2013, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Not to mention the fact that any acoustic mic'ed and or running thru a pic up out to a pre amp - amp and speaker, is also technically "not acoustic"
I couldn't disagree more. Acoustic AMPLIFIED clean and without all these freakin gadgets is still acoustic in sound and in the literal aspect...just amplified acoustic. I think that's where the real purist debate stems from. I think when you add all these gizmos and processing is where the word acoustic starts to become an oxymoron or figurative version of acoustic.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFuzzyMcPickle View Post
I couldn't disagree more. Acoustic AMPLIFIED clean and without all these freakin gadgets is still acoustic in sound and in the literal aspect...just amplified acoustic. I think that's where the real purist debate stems from. I think when you add all these gizmos and processing is where the word acoustic starts to become an oxymoron or figurative version of acoustic.
While I agree with the idea that an amplified acoustic with no other FX ( just so we are clear EQ is an FX) can sound more like acoustic sound, than say an electric guitar. It is in fact by definition literally no longer "acoustic sound". And in fact does not sound exactly like an un amplified acoustic, ever. Not at the current (even state of the art) reproduction. Now where is that skin caliper ?

That you personally do not like sound produced by "all these freakin gadgets" while perfectly viable as a subjective preference. But do personally like the sound of "clean amplification"
Does nothing to alter the fact that an acoustic guitar amplified, is no longer producing the sound being heard, (except for possibly the player themselves) It is instead the picup and or mic, preamp, amplifier and speakers that are electrically reproducing and amplifying the signal and producing "the sound". It's really just simple physics and fact of definition. If you want to issue your own personal subjective definition by all means have at it.

This however is the one in my desk top dictionary.
[I]" Acoustic: #2 (of music or musical instruments) not having electrical amplification :

The truth is it's all good and that different people enjoy producing music differently is the beauty of art , not a curse.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 09-02-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification