The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBE View Post
For a less expensive but highly comparable guitar, check out an all-acacia Pono. Similar wood with similar looks and tone. You'll like the price compared to the other options.
I once owned a pono acacia and have an all koa Taylor and they do not sound the same. Apples and oranges.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM

"Best" and "inexpensive" are almost mutually exclusive. Think best and inexpensive when discussing Brazilian rosewood.

This Takamine is used by a touring Hawaiian pro I've met, because "It works well enough, and if something happens to it, I can easily order another just like it. My best koa guitars don't go on the road".
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...#productDetail
The product description says nothing about "solid koa" when discussing the top, back, or sides. I suspect the top may be solid, but the body is most likely laminated. And the price has climbed steadily over the last 4-5 years too.

This Breedlove specifically says solid koa top, but laminated body.
https://www.samash.com/2018-pursuit-...a--bpscnkok2-p
Old 01-15-2019, 11:02 AM

I find this discussion about "Koa" guitars quite odd. I like to play ukulele and as I get more educated about this instrument I have learned that major Hawaiian ukulele manufacturers have problems with their Koa supply. As a result, they already have moved from using single piece tops and bottoms which were common up into the 90s to bookmatched pieces, and are also introducing alternative woods such as Mango and Asian acacia as substitutes for Hawaiian Koa. Now if the traditional local Koa users who one would think have good relations with the suppliers have difficulty finding the wood for small numbers of small instruments, where the heck do the mainland or overseas guitar manufacturers find their wood to build much larger numbers of big guitars? Something is just very fishy with that idea of Koa guitars.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:12 AM

It's not fishy at all, Merlin. Genuine koa is just in very short supply, and instrument grade wood is even scarcer. Koa only grows in Hawaii and between certain elevations (I've read ~350 feet to 5000 feet, and not on all of the islands). Most trees are on public land and therefore cannot be harvested. There is a big problem with illegal poached wood too, because it is scarce and valuable - just like BRW.

Back in the day koa was used for furniture, shelving and knick-knacks. because it was readily available. I've seen antique hotel furniture - one bench made with a 3" thick slabs of koa could make a number of guitars. Now as koa gets expensive builders look to alternate woods, including koa family substitutes, just as with other instruments. I own ukulele made from koa, mango, and mahogany. And I have two koa guitars. Each are different but nice.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM

the thread title is an oxymoron.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
the thread title is an oxymoron.

Especially if the OP...IheartNY...does not come back on this thread they started and tell us what they mean by "best" and inexpensive"

HEY...IheartNY...if you REALLY want our help...jump back on here and give us some more info about what you mean, what you really want. Were you serious in wanting help or just killing time, and goofing off?

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 01-15-2019 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add content
Old 01-15-2019, 12:13 PM

Looks like Kaiserhogg restarted a dead thread a couple times. I don't think IheartNY is looking for anything anymore

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!
Old 01-15-2019, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Especially if the OP...IheartNY...does not come back on this thread they started and tell us what they mean by "best" and inexpensive"

HEY...IheartNY...if you REALLY want our help...jump back on here and give us some more info about what you mean, what you really want. Were you serious in wanting help or just killing time, and goofing off?
Keep in mind this thread was from 2014...
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 01-15-2019, 02:16 PM
Charter Member

When Tacoma was in business they offered several models in figured Koa. There many available used guitars. They are great bargains as long as no finish problems.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Keep in mind this thread was from 2014...
whoops...I totally missed that...I have to start looking at that...my bad!

duff
Be Smart...Look at the thread start date duff
Old 01-15-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
whoops...I totally missed that...I have to start looking at that...my bad!

duff
Be Smart...Look at the thread start date duff
To be fair, it often takes me 2-3 pages to realize that on these zombie threads, too!
Preston Thompson: O Koa

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion