The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-29-2024, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Default Advice needed for trade values of Martin D41, Franklin Om

Hi you folks have been so helpful. No sooner than I post a picture here of my Martins a semi-local person is interested in trading his Franklin Om for my 2023 D41 natural top. Mine is in showroom condition his he describes as a 7.5-8 condition wise. The Franklin case is pretty shot probably a 3.0 condition. He also wants $1,000 from me. I see that Franklins can get very high dollar but I have no idea how much condition etc. will effect value. I am going to post a pic of my Martin and the pics of his Franklin that he sent. We might meet up next week to play and talk. Also what problems should I look for in the Franklin. I kind of like the idea of owning a handmade guitar from a respected builder. Any advice is appreciated.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:37 AM

Franklin is a better guitar just make sure its checked out well though. Hos the person shelling out extra cash. ?
Gibson SJ200
Old 03-01-2024, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

I would be putting in the extra cash.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:22 AM

I know NOTHING about Franklin guitars, but I do know a thing or two about a D41. This is strictly my opinion and worthless in the grand scheme of things! NO way I would trade a new D41 plus cash for a guitar that looks to be well-used and especially with a shot case, no matter the builder or the guitar model. My D41 is a 2018 model and is just now hitting its stride and full potential!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

Last edited by Tnfiddler; 03-01-2024 at 11:41 AM. Reason: is
Old 03-01-2024, 11:38 AM

If this was me, I would probably always have buyers remorse if I did the trade.

Unless you are not happy with your Martin, you may wind up feeling like me, if you make the trade.

Remember that there are a lot of great guitars out there and should you choose to sell the Martin, you could take your time and pick your next guitar.
Old 03-01-2024, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

I’m fortunate to own 3 Franklins. A rare 1979 dreadnaught (Sitka/Amazon), and 2 German/Brazilian OMs with 1 3/4” (1989) and 1 13/16” (1980) nuts. They are amazing instruments that have really gone up in value. The early ones had non-adjustable truss rods and the newer ones have an innovative adjustable truss rod that uses a long Allen key down the middle of the headstock. Many early ones have very small necks. There are some 1 5/8” nuts, and a lot of 1 11/16” nuts that are thin. My dreadnaught has a nice 1 11/16” nut but it’s beefy like a mid-1950s D-28. All 3 have had neck resets and refrets, but all are rock solid and sound fantastic. The only issue with a used 1980s guitar is that they are usually checked, scuffed up, dented, and etc. Your D-41 is mint, but is really a standard braced, albeit pearly, Martin. The previous poster says his is just hitting its stride being 6 years old! Personally, I’m a vintage guy. No way would I want a new guitar that’ll be “good” in 6 years when I could have a way more responsive wide open 36 year-old guitar. But that’s me and a new D-41 is very pretty. My Franklins have beat out every Martin Authentics and my 1956 D-28.

Now people clamor for PreWar Guitar Company relic’d guitars. I sold an OM-28 (level 1.5), a D-18 (level 3), and a D-28 (level 1) all in a few hours each. I'm a big fan, but I've owned 3 PWGC guitars and all are gone. The 3 Franklins are here. I mainly play 0/00/000/OMs as I'm a finger picker. Last year I had my 45-year-old Franklin dread for sale at half of what I sold the PWGC OM-28 and lower than I sold the PWGC D, and only got one low-ball offer. No one wanted a naturally relic’d 45-year-old dreadnaught (which would be a level 1.5 on the PWGC scale). It sounds better than any PWGC, but had checking, and a small crack that was fixed perfectly years and years ago. People wanted close up, high-res pictures of the small dents and photos of the checking at just the right angle when at PWGC they are purposely freezing and rapidly heating their torrified guitars, gouging them with files, picks, and dropping tools on them to simulate age. Go figure.

Just check out the neck angle, nut width, and neck feel. If it needs a reset, the neck is a bolt on, so my guy charges $400 plus any fret leveling. I’m certain the tone is there. I’m assuming it’s Sitka/EIR and in perfect playing shape would be maybe $6,000-$6,500? I have no idea what a D-41 goes for used, but likely 80% of a new one? Good luck.

Last edited by blindboyjimi; 03-01-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 12:25 PM

Nick Kukich, who builds under the Franklin name, has been a highly respected builder since the 1970s. I've played two. One was an OM owned by John Renbourne, the other was a Stella-style long scale 12-string that my friend had hanging hi his store for a while. Both were excellent sounding and playing guitars. I consider the 12-string as one that got away that I would have happily bought but had just finished law school and was too broke to buy strings at the time.

Sadly
Old 03-01-2024, 12:45 PM

If the Franklin is structurally solid and needs no real work $1K plus your Martin is pretty close. Maybe a little high. If you love the Franklin do it. If your not sure offer $500 max. JMO
Old 03-01-2024, 01:47 PM
Charter Member

Thanks for your replies. I am always amazed at the knowledge here. I have learned something new. Just a couple of things to clarify. I have the good fortune of owning 2 D41s. I am considering selling or trading this natural top because of redundancy as well as it's excellent
condition. I think this natural top is probably a little more marketable. Truth be told a full out sell would actually be nice.
A couple of concerns for me is that a Franklin is pretty obscure. Where a D41 is well known. Also the condition issues on the Franklin might make it harder for a future sell when the time may come. I imagine the Franklin may be a fantastic guitar, but those concerns make me a little apprehensive.

Last edited by mightymole; 03-01-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 03-01-2024, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymole View Post
Thanks for your replies. I am always amazed at the knknowledge here. I have learned something new. Just a couple of things to clarify. I have the good fortune of owning 2 D41s. I am considering selling or trading this natural top because of redundancy as well as it's excellent
condition. I think this natural top is probably a little more marketable. Truth be told a full out sell would actually be nice.
A couple of concerns for me is that a Franklin is pretty obscure. Where a D41 is well known. Also the condition issues on the Franklin might make it harder for a future sell when the time may come. I imagine the Franklin may be a fantastic guitar, but those concerns make me a little apprehensive.

The Franklin guitar, and it's maker, luthier Nick Kukich are VERY well known and VERY highly respected in the more knowledgeable circles of guitar players and aficionados, like out here on the AGF, and it would be VERY well known to a wide circle of buyers if you sold it through this forum or via consignment at one of several highly well known and respected guitar shops like Gruhn's Guitars or Carter Vintage or The Music Emporium, etc.

On paper, the Franklin is the better made guitar, with better materials, and old school hand made skill, and a top and back that has been tuned and voiced for best possible tone and response by Nick, which the Martin has not. Now...does that mean that the Franklin will sound better for you and to you? No, it certainly does not. So on paper means only so much...what you want to hear and feel when you play is still more important...but that Franklin guitar is absolutely a top tier instrument in every way and regard.

And that is the crux of the matter here for you. Is the Franklin a better guitar for you, for what you want to play and hear, than the D-41. Only you can know that through playing the Franklin in comparison to your Martin.

Good Luck with your decision!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 03-01-2024, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

I think you’re absolutely on point. If the guy is local, maybe you can you trade for a week and then you can both decide whether to move forward. Sometimes you need a few days to see if a completely different guitar will work for you. Here’s one of my pearly Franklin OMs played by 2 world-class guitarists.

Old 03-01-2024, 08:11 PM

I do know if I had a D-41 , and was offered a Franklin ,the Martin would be gone. But this time it would be a keeper.

There are plenty D-41s out there to be had.
I owned a Om 45 style Franklin about 20!years ago. At the time it was 15 years old
It had more cleats in the top than I had teeth. It was still one of the best sounding guitars that I have ever owned .

I have been looking for another. Ill get one.

The Martin will sell at anytime. Where the Franklin would be your keeper. There are lot of Guitar players that know about those. But any one new getting into guitars would have little clue about those

That Franklin should Be a Clean Example. No Cracks. Little wear. Check the neck in case its been reset. If you paying extra. Make sure its a Clean piece.
Gibson SJ200

Last edited by Slimt; 03-02-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymole View Post
Hi you folks have been so helpful. No sooner than I post a picture here of my Martins a semi-local person is interested in trading his Franklin Om for my 2023 D41 natural top. Mine is in showroom condition his he describes as a 7.5-8 condition wise. The Franklin case is pretty shot probably a 3.0 condition. He also wants $1,000 from me. I see that Franklins can get very high dollar but I have no idea how much condition etc. will effect value. I am going to post a pic of my Martin and the pics of his Franklin that he sent. We might meet up next week to play and talk. Also what problems should I look for in the Franklin. I kind of like the idea of owning a handmade guitar from a respected builder. Any advice is appreciated.
I can't tell you what's right for you, but I know what would be right for me.

Right off the bat, I can say that I have a very short list of builders I would be interested in and Franklin is on that list. I played a Franklin at Luthiers Collection about a decade ago, and it left a strong impression on me.

As long as the guitar is structurally sound, I'm not worried about 7.5-8 condition. Similarly, a really beat up case wouldn't scare me away if the guitar sounds amazing and is in otherwise good condition. Fair wear and tear, particularly on an older guitar isn't a deal killer to me.

If you have the opportunity to meet next week and play, I think that experience will give you the info you need to make a decision one way or another.

If I were to provide advice, I would say this, don't buy a guitar because it is hand made from a great luthier. Buy it because it sounds good to your ears and feels good in your hands. If you have an opportunity to A/B both of those guitars, that should be the main criteria for you to decide.

Last thing I would say is have fun with the process. Hunting for amazing new guitars should be fun!
Old 03-03-2024, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all of the advice, and varied opinions. It is helping formulate my own ideas, when I meet up with the potential trade partner.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Franklin guitars have a great reputation, but I have never played one. The road wear wouldn’t bother me at all, but I am in the clear minority here. Unless they are buying an actual vintage piece or purposefully “aged” model, most people really do want pristine guitars. The two times I forgot that, I lost a significant amount of money down the road.

I think you should trust your Spidey Sense when you two meet up. If you aren’t immediately smitten with the Franklin, then take your D41 and $1K back home with you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion