The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-23-2023, 04:46 AM

Default My first fully custom build ordered / 000 12 fret EIR/Sitka

So, the time has come for me to buy a custom guitar. I've previously owned a couple of Taylors and a Lowden. I've spent the last decade playing on and off. For a few years up until recently I've not had the time really, but now that the kids are getting older and career is settling my passion for guitar have reignited. So, I decided to get a build from a local luthier. Played some of his guitars before and they´re great. I also want a guy that lives somewhat close so I can get help if needed.

Anyway, specs will be:
  • 000 12 fret body
  • 25,4 scale length
  • EIR back/sides and headstock overlay
  • Sitka top
  • Mahogany neck
  • Ebony bridge and fretboard
  • Slotted headstock
  • C-shaped neck
  • Herringbone purifying and zigzag back strip
  • 45,5mm nut width
  • Ebony bridge pins
  • Nitro finish
  • and some other stuff...

I want the guitar to have kind of a classic 20s/30s Martin vibe but with certain appointments inspired by guitars from Collings and Thompson. I play fingerstyle solo music for most part and sing occasionally.

Can't believe it's finally happening!

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8
2009 Esteve 8 EIR/Romanian Spruce
2001 Fender Stratocaster vintage '62
and a hefty amount of cheap beaters to circle around the house

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-23-2023, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations! And it’s great that you can go with a local builder whose guitars you like. Do they have a website where we can see more of their work?

Looking forward to more posts.
Old 10-24-2023, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Congratulations! And it’s great that you can go with a local builder whose guitars you like. Do they have a website where we can see more of their work?

Looking forward to more posts.
Yes of course, forgot to post a link!
http://www.sundbergguitars.com

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-24-2023, 05:53 PM

Congrats. I'm sure it'll turn out exceptional for you, as I think your specs are pretty dang full proof! As a predominately finger style player myself, I can't think of a much better guitar to have built!
Old 10-25-2023, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBowman View Post
Congrats. I'm sure it'll turn out exceptional for you, as I think your specs are pretty dang full proof! As a predominately finger style player myself, I can't think of a much better guitar to have built!
Thanks! Yes, I'm going with fairly safe and in my opinion "sensible" (?) options that's been proven for many years. The only option that's made me scratch my head is the scale length. I think a full scale guitar sounds way better, but a short scale play easier. But from experience I know I adapt.

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-25-2023, 02:39 AM

I had a wee look at the Sundberg website: It looks like David builds great guitars!

Do you know when your guitar is likely to be completed?
Old 10-25-2023, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejayen View Post
I had a wee look at the Sundberg website: It looks like David builds great guitars!

Do you know when your guitar is likely to be completed?
No exact date, but around 9 months or maybe less since the most guitars in queue were dreadnoughts and other more common body shapes. So I guess jigs and tools for 000 are more readily available to him

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-25-2023, 06:34 AM

That's exciting! Hopefully, you'll have it within the nine months.

I've not had much success with custom builds, but that's probably just down to a combination of choosing the wrong builders and me being too laid-back.

When I had a pair of electric guitars custom built I was quoted a build time of between nine and twelve months. I received them six years after I'd ordered them!

With another electric guitar build I was quoted a build time of between eight and twelve weeks. That one, I received around four years after I'd ordered it!

Despite these experiences, I wouldn't rule out another custom build, especially for an acoustic...!
Old 10-25-2023, 06:52 AM

Quote:
That's exciting! Hopefully, you'll have it within the nine months.

I've not had much success with custom builds, but that's probably just down to a combination of choosing the wrong builders and me being too laid-back.

When I had a pair of electric guitars custom built I was quoted a build time of between nine and twelve months. I received them six years after I'd ordered them!

With another electric guitar build I was quoted a build time of between eight and twelve weeks. That one, I received around four years after I'd ordered it!

Despite these experiences, I wouldn't rule out another custom build, especially for an acoustic...!
That's interesting. Even if the time it took was way longer (I would say unacceptable) were you satisfied with the guitar itself then? I know some builders take a long time, and have queues of several years, but if a builder says under a year and it takes six... I know I'd have a hard time accepting that.

I hope and think this will be ready within time. I trust the man and we´ve had great conversations regarding the build.

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 10-25-2023, 07:21 AM

With the pair which took six years, I disliked the experience of dealing with the builder so much that it really put me off the guitars. I probably played one of them once or twice, and the other I once took to a practice session with a band. I still have them, but never open their cases or play them. They also developed hairline linear cracks in the lacquer from every screw hole, which was upsetting. While I was waiting for the guitars my folks bought me a Yamaha electric to tide me over, and I ended up playing that instead!

The second custom build was fine. I liked the builder, and he was apologetic about the delay. The guitar was lovely, but it was a tiny travel guitar, and although I thought it might have become my main guitar, that didn't end up being the case.

If there's one thing I've learnt about myself, it's that I prefer to play just one guitar exclusively. So even if I have other guitars, I really only play one.

Anyway, I'm sure your experience with David will be fantastic. All of his guitars look brilliant, and the comments from players are really positive. His little Gibson style guitars must be wonderful, and his SJ-200 equivalent also looks lovely. I'd love to see and try them.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
With the pair which took six years, I disliked the experience of dealing with the builder so much that it really put me off the guitars. I probably played one of them once or twice, and the other I once took to a practice session with a band. I still have them, but never open their cases or play them. They also developed hairline linear cracks in the lacquer from every screw hole, which was upsetting. While I was waiting for the guitars my folks bought me a Yamaha electric to tide me over, and I ended up playing that instead!

The second custom build was fine. I liked the builder, and he was apologetic about the delay. The guitar was lovely, but it was a tiny travel guitar, and although I thought it might have become my main guitar, that didn't end up being the case.

If there's one thing I've learnt about myself, it's that I prefer to play just one guitar exclusively. So even if I have other guitars, I really only play one.

Anyway, I'm sure your experience with David will be fantastic. All of his guitars look brilliant, and the comments from players are really positive. His little Gibson style guitars must be wonderful, and his SJ-200 equivalent also looks lovely. I'd love to see and try them.
I can imagine it put you off.

I'm also a one guitar (per kind; Steel string, classical, electric) guy. I do not like to collect and have expensive guitars that's not being played.

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 04-10-2024, 01:18 AM

Wood for top, back and sides have been selected and glued. EIR and sitka. Also visible is the zipper back strip and rosette. It'll pretty much be a 28-style 000 12 fret but with some different appointments, such as neck shape. It'll also feature abalone diamond inlays on fifth, seventh and ninth frets (2 small on fret 5 and 9, and one wide on fret 7)

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 04-10-2024, 04:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky_fingers View Post
So, the time has come for me to buy a custom guitar. I've previously owned a couple of Taylors and a Lowden. I've spent the last decade playing on and off. For a few years up until recently I've not had the time really, but now that the kids are getting older and career is settling my passion for guitar have reignited. So, I decided to get a build from a local luthier. Played some of his guitars before and they´re great. I also want a guy that lives somewhat close so I can get help if needed.

Anyway, specs will be:
  • 000 12 fret body
  • 25,4 scale length
  • EIR back/sides and headstock overlay
  • Sitka top
  • Mahogany neck
  • Ebony bridge and fretboard
  • Slotted headstock
  • C-shaped neck
  • Herringbone purifying and zigzag back strip
  • 45,5mm nut width
  • Ebony bridge pins
  • Nitro finish
  • and some other stuff...

I want the guitar to have kind of a classic 20s/30s Martin vibe but with certain appointments inspired by guitars from Collings and Thompson. I play fingerstyle solo music for most part and sing occasionally.

Can't believe it's finally happening!
Sounds identical to my Collings 0002h apart from the nut width which is (in mms) - 46.04 to a 2 & 5/16" (58.75 mm) and profile is a modified V .

It is about the most perfect design I own (and I own a few!)

edit : Did you know >>>> The Martin 000 was the first Martin guitar to have a 25.4 scale length as standard introduced in 1902, and was the largest Martin body available until the original dreadnought introduced in 1931.

Last edited by Silly Moustache; 04-10-2024 at 04:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2024, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Sounds identical to my Collings 0002h apart from the nut width which is (in mms) - 46.04 to a 2 & 5/16" (58.75 mm) and profile is a modified V .

It is about the most perfect design I own (and I own a few!)

edit : Did you know >>>> The Martin 000 was the first Martin guitar to have a 25.4 scale length as standard introduced in 1902, and was the largest Martin body available until the original dreadnought introduced in 1931.
Fact is, I almost bought a used Collings 0002h. I really don't like the modified V shape, and that's the biggest difference I guess. But the 000 12 fret model with the slotted headstock is sooo beautiful in my opinion.

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute
Old 04-21-2024, 01:57 AM

Some more…

Current:
2008 Taylor GC8

Sold:
2014 Lowden F25 Custom
2006 Taylor GS6e

My John Renbourn tribute

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop