The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2015, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokid View Post
…is tuning down a half step easier on your guitar, and strings?
Hi M-kid…

The main reason I see people do this is it's easier on their voice.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2015, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemike View Post
That doesn't really have anything to do with how his guitar is tuned though. His A could still be 440 whether he is fretting it on the second fret of a third string tuned to G or on the 4th fret of a third string tuned to F.

-Mike
I mean, his guitar is tuned to standard pitch, a=440. He does not tune his guitar down.
Old 05-25-2015, 10:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That doesn't really have anything to do with how his guitar is tuned though. His A could still be 440 whether he is fretting it on the second fret of a third string tuned to G or on the 4th fret of a third string tuned to F.
Hi M-mike…
Tommy has shared quite openly and frequently that he plays in standard tuning except for a couple of tunes in dropped D.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 05-25-2015, 11:01 AM

Whenever this question comes up with regard to playing ease, I always wonder, why not simply buy a lighter gauge?
Old 05-25-2015, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
Whenever this question comes up with regard to playing ease, I always wonder, why not simply buy a lighter gauge?
HI ew…

Having the guitar professionally set up makes a difference too.

Went over to a friend's house yesterday with my Voyage-Air VAOM-06 which the action is set very similar to my main guitars on, and he played it for a little bit and said "Man this plays so easy!" Same weight of strings as were on his Martin D-18.

So I recommended he take it in for a professional setup which he admitted had not been done in over a decade.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

Old 05-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Been tuning half-step down for years. Made the switch for easier singing but my strings rarely break now.
Buscarino Starlight nylon, Martin 000C-RGTE, Godin nylon duet ambiance, Breedlove Bossa Nova, cedar/EIR, Breedlove SC-20, cedar/walnut, Ovation Nylon LX1773, CA Cargo, CA GX, Larrivee 00-03, sitka/hog
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Guest 213

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
I expect for most people, though, it's not just that reason, and the other reasons have to do with lowered pitch. And for those for whom it is the only reason, I wonder if the difference in tension from tuning down is noticeably more or less than it would be from going down in string gauge (and also whether there would be a loss of tone quality and/or volume from changing gauges). I guess if one wanted to experiment with their particular guitar, they can find out. But unless there's a reason they don't like the half-step in pitch change, it just seems easier to tune down.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi M-mike…
Tommy has shared quite openly and frequently that he plays in standard tuning except for a couple of tunes in dropped D.

Hi Larry,

I'm not arguing with that; I don't have any information either way about Tommy E. I'm merely making the point that standard tuning and a=440 are not necessarily the same.

-Mike
Old 05-25-2015, 01:17 PM

I know all of Alice In Chains songs are 1/2 step down. I doubt it's because the guitar is "easier to play" for a guy like Jerry Cantrell.

Might surely be to accommodate singer's range.

I just can't help but think the tension on neck and bridge is reduced and that such a 24/7/365 reduction in stress must be easier on entire guitar.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:22 PM

I tune down a step for the tone and because it makes it easier for me to sing in my old age. I have no idea, and really don't care, if it's easier on the strings.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motokid View Post
I know all of Alice In Chains songs are 1/2 step down. I doubt it's because the guitar is "easier to play" for a guy like Jerry Cantrell.

Might surely be to accommodate singer's range.

I just can't help but think the tension on neck and bridge is reduced and that such a 24/7/365 reduction in stress must be easier on entire guitar.
It would be interesting if a builder or tech joined in here, as I was thinking just the opposite: I would think any relatively modern neck could handle whatever gauge strings you want, within reason, with no ill effect, but I really don't know what is actually true.
Old 05-25-2015, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Hi Larry,

I'm not arguing with that; I don't have any information either way about Tommy E. I'm merely making the point that standard tuning and a=440 are not necessarily the same.

-Mike
It could be ambiguous, but I meant that he tunes his a to 440 (110), as opposed to 415 (103) which would be down 1/2 step.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
It would be interesting if a builder or tech joined in here, as I was thinking just the opposite: I would think any relatively modern neck could handle whatever gauge strings you want, within reason, with no ill effect, but I really don't know what is actually true.
Thanks for the invitation! ;-)

The neck is not an issue.

The issue is the body, but especially the soundboard.

Simply, lower tension on the strings (either by tuning down or using a lighter gauge) will slow the process of compression-caused deformation of the guitar's body. Usually, a neck reset has nothing to do with the neck itself. Rather, the body compresses and deforms in a common set of patterns based upon the bracing patterns used. Since the body itself deforms and the bridge position is different than original, the neck must be reset backwards to compensate.

Some people prefer THICKER strings which are stiffer at any tension. Remember, tension, thickness, and stiffness are different elements. The response (attack/sustain) and sometimes tonal balance (how much overtones are in the notes) can change from lighter to heavier strings. Heavier strings tuned lower than standard is a nice option for mass in the strings but not extreme tension.

It must be said, some guitars DO NOT handle 13's well at standard pitch, and will deform and sometimes even crack. MAKE CERTAIN your guitar can handle 13's if you intend to use them.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 05-25-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi M-mike…
Yup. I sat in the same room with Tommy for three days straight, and also attended a performance. He was in both standard tuning AND tuned at A=440 for all but a couple of the performance tunes the entire time.

*everything* is a tone control
Old 05-25-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Thanks for the invitation! ;-)

The neck is not an issue.

The issue is the body, but especially the soundboard.

Simply, lower tension on the strings (either by tuning down or using a lighter gauge) will slow the process of compression-caused deformation of the guitar's body. Usually, a neck reset has nothing to do with the neck itself. Rather, the body compresses and deforms in a common set of patterns based upon the bracing patterns used. Since the body itself deforms and the bridge position is different than original, the neck must be reset backwards to compensate.

Some people prefer THICKER strings which are stiffer at any tension. Remember, tension, thickness, and stiffness are different elements. The response (attack/sustain) and sometimes tonal balance (how much overtones are in the notes) can change from lighter to heavier strings. Heavier strings tuned lower than standard is a nice option for mass in the strings but not extreme tension.

It must be said, some guitars DO NOT handle 13's well at standard pitch, and will deform and sometimes even crack. MAKE CERTAIN your guitar can handle 13's if you intend to use them.
Ned, this makes sense for acoustic, but I would think it is a non-issue for a solid-body electric. Correct?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion