The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-11-2012, 12:02 PM

Default My New Pin Router

So, yesterday I decided to tackle this project that I've been meaning to build for about 3 years now. I built a smaller one a few years ago that utilized a dremel as the router motor for doing small inlays and headstock purfling work. But, yesterday out of a half sheet of 3/4" plywood, some heavy duty drawer slides and every 1 1/4" wood screw I could find in my shop, the Pin Router was born. I looked at other models that you could buy but for $600, I figured it couldn't be THAT difficult to just make one. The whole thing is boxed in 3/4" plywood and is incredibly rigid. I was in Lowe's yesterday yanking around on the drawer display trying to get the slides to show me a little wiggle/play in the bearings, but they are pretty great. I probably looked like a crazy person...hooligan! Anyway, it will be used for bridge shaping, headstock shaping, neck thickness routing, brace shaping, saddle slot routing, inlays...the list goes on and on!

In case you aren't aware of how these work, the table has a pin sticking up that is perfectly aligned with the router bit. The jig that holds the work piece has a template on the bottom of it that the pin follows and the router cuts the same shape. I'll eventually add some air actuated cylinders that will do the router lifting and lowering. For now, I'm using this 3/8" bolt that, honestly, works A LOT better than I expected...sometimes simple is just the ticket!

Here she is:

Here is a shot of the pin and bit:

And the height/depth adjustment:

Well, that's my latest creation. If you'd like to build one yourself, I'd be happy to answer any questions.

Brad
Old 12-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

We're such "guys"!! Any new toy makes us all giddy. Very cool that you built something that you can use in your craft! And you saved a few hundred bucks. Not bad at all!!

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Very cool brad! Now all you need is a little knowledge of electric motors and some computer skills and you can make yourself a tracer mill. Then you will have some primitive CNC going on.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:26 PM

It would have been cooler if your wife had given it to you for a Christmas present (see other thread, "Why is it OK?").

Step #1 in any apprentice's training is how to fabricate your own custom tools and jigs.

Nice job!
Old 12-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Good solution Brad
I can see a trend starting on this forum in which makers list their tools in their signature = kinda not what you do but what you do it with
Old 12-11-2012, 11:52 PM

Thanks guys! I'm pretty psyched about it! I was originally going to use it as my binding router as well, but changed my mind. I took the base off of it and made some collars to hold the router body. It will free up some space around the router bit so I can get a deeper cut possibility without interference.

Thanks again for checking it out and for the comments!

Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 09:59 AM

way to go Brad! making the tools/machines/fixtures is part of the fun.
Old 12-12-2012, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
way to go Brad! making the tools/machines/fixtures is part of the fun.
Yes it is! I'm going to build a little CNC router next, this was to get me by for now. I think building tools is just about as much fun as building the guitars, for me anyways.

Here is the updated Z-axis with the spindle collar.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 11:34 AM

good idea. i'm in the planning stages of a cnc router myself. i figure it's going to take me close to a year to get done at my usual snail's pace. there's a ton of online info on diy cnc machines on the internet.

http://buildyourcnc.com/

Last edited by arie; 12-12-2012 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
good idea. i'm in the planning stages of a cnc router myself. i figure it's going to take me close to a year to get done at my usual snail's pace. there's a ton of online info on diy cnc machines on the internet.

http://buildyourcnc.com/
YES! I love that site...I was actually on it this morning! I was originally going to use his aluminum angle and skate bearings to build the pin router slide but opted for the drawer slides on this one. I ordered a bunch of bulk skate bearings to build the CNC about a year ago but I then realized that I'd need to spend about $600 in stepper motors and software...ouch! Couldn't do it then, or now...but hopefully in the near future! Good luck with your CNC build!

Brad
Old 12-12-2012, 04:40 PM

thanks! but it won't be cheap.. jeez that stuff's expensive
Old 12-12-2012, 05:25 PM

Brad,
When you start to work on that CNC you should post a build thread here of your progress. I think it would be cool to follow along as you built it. Maybe over in the build and repair forum

If ya Have any questions about them i may be able to help. May not be able to also anyhow good luck with it!
Old 12-12-2012, 05:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

The problem with shopmade pin/CNC routers is getting enough rigidity between the pin and the cutter. If it isn't there chatter is inevitable. I bought an Onsrud/Delta machine a few years ago, lots of cast iron, but it still could be more rigid for my taste. It's great for Pickguards and materials up to 1/2", not always so great after that. These were most of $3K when new, but are surely less these days. It's 3+HP!

Old 12-12-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
The problem with shopmade pin/CNC routers is getting enough rigidity between the pin and the cutter. If it isn't there chatter is inevitable. I bought an Onsrud/Delta machine a few years ago, lots of cast iron, but it still could be more rigid for my taste. It's great for Pickguards and materials up to 1/2", not always so great after that. These were most of $3K when new, but are surely less these days. It's 3+HP!

Ya, I definitely know what you're saying. My thoughts are if I just take small cuts at a time, like 1/8"-1/4" deep or so, then I should be fine. I also drilled multiple holes in the slide assembly and it can be moved up and down as a unit on the arm- so I don't have too much hanging outside of the slides where the leverage against it would become too great and allow too much wiggle. I tried it out yesterday and it seemed to work very well. It'll take multiple passes to cut out one piece, but it's better than doing it by hand. Plus, if there's a little chatter marks, taking off .005 -.010" of an inch to sand them out is not of grave importance to me.

If I don't end up building the CNC, I think I'll get some 2"x3" rectangular steel and weld up a good over arm spindle for a more heavy duty pin router. That is, if I don't go the CNC route.

Zeke,

I've seen that you have experience with the CNC and I just may enlist your help! Thanks for the offer!

Brad

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop