The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-27-2012, 05:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Chances are that the next "real" post in this thread will have pictures of you and Neil with the Black Knight in your hands.

Don, let us know if I need to get pizza for the Sunday meal, too.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:39 AM
AGF Sponsor

John Kitchen now has possession of The Black Knight. It was a nice afternoon hearing background music while we chatted a while.

Don h, your wife is wonderful! I hope Pat will come back to join us for the June 14, 15 (2013) McJam. We would like to thank you for providing the Sunday meal. It is one of Tim's favorite brands of pizza. We all enjoyed it.

Also, Don, the "House of Hindenach" sound system store is highly appreciated by the church. Thank you for being available to assist so readily on the lapel mic.

I just sent pictures of yesterday to you, John. Others will have a chance to see whatever pictures he shares. (I'll sneak the pictures to Neil Kwak and Donh, too.)

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 12-31-2012, 11:00 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Phot bucket has changed. I will figure it out and get a post with many images ASAP.

Happy New Year All!
Old 12-31-2012, 07:12 PM

Well, as one who played it while its new owner watched anxiously I must say that this is a GREAT fingerstyle guitar. I wasn't sure that Carpathian over oak would respond so well to a light touch with bare fingers but it did so quite well. John, I'm envious!
Old 12-31-2012, 09:03 PM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Guitars View Post

Phot bucket has changed. I will figure it out and get a post with many images ASAP.

Happy New Year All!
Yeah - it's a pain, and the "return to the standard version" doesn't work at least on my browser. I've complained but without answer... I'm slowly figuring out where they've hidden the features I need!

Looking forward to seeing the guitar and maybe some really good studio pics from you, John!!

Phil

(oh - and I hope you guys gave my on-the-bench guitar a good looking over!)
Old 01-01-2013, 09:59 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Test
Old 01-01-2013, 11:22 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Yesterday (New Years Eve) The Black Knight got her first real work out.

After an early day of work Mark and I (2/3's of the "Upright Monkeys") played for about 2 hours before going home to do family night for New Years Eve.

Mark said the Black Knight was hands down the best playing, sounding and responsive guitar he's ever played. I agree with the assessment!
Adding only Prettiest guitar I have ever owned.

Like a Quentin Tarantino flick now I will go back a few days.........
Saturday December 29th was 5" of fresh snow on top of 3"-5" we already had, Sunday travel with my rear wheel drive Town Car looked slim.
For a change the weather folks were right and Sunday was clear with only the slightest dusting of snow. Perfect for the 3-4 hour drive to the metropolis of Morral Ohio.
Neil came along. Bringing in tow his fairly complete first build he started in my workshop 2 years ago. His guitar has come a long way. Its looking great.
Since I started my new job 6 months ago we've only gotten together 2 times. 4 hours went by fast. Getting caught up and talking our favorite subject; Guitars and guitar players. Background noise for the trip was "Flaming Lips" interesting Artsy take on "Pink Floyds" Dark Side of the Moon.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Tim, Mary and our mutual buddy Don H and his wife Pat.
(Prior to our arrival Don peeked in my case! But, he swears he did not pull the Black Knight from the case! Lol.)
The guitar is beautiful.

We went to the Guitar Loft of the Attacking Ceiling Fans to tune up and get her singing.

I played a few, Neil admired and got to play a few, Don played a few grinning ear to ear.

Wow. It is such an understatement to say the guitar sounds amazing.
We eventually were joined by the McKnight Family. Quite a gathering for the unveiling of the Black Knight!
The guitar made a few more rounds. We chatted, played, Neils project made the rounds. Tim at one point in the day gave the neck angle a proper measure and a thumbs up for Neil!

Don and his wife had to leave a short time into the visit. Dons wife; “Don…. Give him his guitar we need to hit the road…..” Oh, a few minutes later ……“Don…. Give him his guitar we need to hit the road…..”
I think Don likes my guitar

What is so cool about a custom guitar by a Builder of Tims experience level is you get asked a 100 questions on how you play, where you play, how do you sit, what do you play????? The guitar is built to your playing style and sizing and and and….
I play 95% fingerstyle, varying touch. You can ask anything of the Guitar. The notes can stop on a dime or carry if you like. All in the touch, so responsive.

My choices were;
Striped Oak – I call it Tiger Striped Oak, I love the look. I was going to leave it naked, then maybe a lightburst. But…… I really like Tim’s take on the Sunbursts. So I left it to him with Tim knowing how much I loved the wood on its own. What Tim did with the sunburst work is pure art.
Carpathian Top – She sang before the McBracing Magic. Now is so WOW. The Piano Black Top is Black Glass. Tim’s first Black Face. I doubt his last for how pretty this one turned out!
McKnight Body Style – SDG with a Manzer Wedge. Approximately a Concert Size. The wedge is a smaller body width at the top than the bottom. Real comfortable!
Mahogany Neck, 24.9 scale, 1 ¾” Nut, Gotoh Open back 510 Tuners, Ebony Fretboard and Ebony Pyramid Bridge with Shadow box, Ebony Binding with a Maple “Pinstripe”.
Tuned for Light to Medium fingerstyle attack with 12’s as a string gauge.
I promise Pro pictures soon and a few sound samples. Maybe Neil can teach me how to post on youtube!

Thanks Tim! Thanks Mary! – The Black Knight has lived up to years of anticipation!

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 01-01-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 01-01-2013, 04:27 PM

As I've previously noted...wow! What a beautiful guitar! And, I'm glad it's now in your hands to play and play and play and...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Charter Member

I have been watching this build with much anticipation...simply, AMAZING!

Congratulations to both you and Tim.

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-04-2013, 07:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks for the kind comments. This was a very fun project that Mary and I completed for John.

I am VERY, VERY pleased with the tonal results and this guitar body shape (The SDG) continues to amaze me. It is a design culmination of all of our other body styles rolled into one. The SDG was several years coming to fruition and every single one that we have built has exceeded our expectations.

We have another SDG [a 12 fretter] on the bench right now and its so darn loud that it has given us both headaches after I have sanded it. Up to this point our MiniMac has been our most popular selling model to date ... but ... the SDG might very well surpass it in the years ahead

Last edited by Tim McKnight; 01-04-2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
We have another SDG [a 12 fretter] on the bench right now and its so darn loud that it has given us both headaches after I have sanded it.
...and he said "EXCELLENT!" I'm sorry to be behind in posting the progress of that guitar - with my spare moments I've been enjoying watching this and some other builds!

Very elegant is the Black Knight, all dressed up and ready to play!

Great job, Tim!

Phil

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 01-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim McKnight View Post
Thanks for the kind comments. This was a very fun project that Mary and I completed for John.

I am VERY, VERY pleased with the tonal results and this guitar body shape (The SDG) continues to amaze me. It is a design culmination of all of our other body styles rolled into one. The SDG was several years coming to fruition and every single one that we have built has exceeded our expectations.

We have another SDG [a 12 fretter] on the bench right now and its so darn loud that it has given us both headaches after I have sanded it. Up to this point our MiniMac has been our most popular selling model to date ... but ... the SDG might very well surpass it in the years ahead
Yeah, in a couple of those pictures where you were chiseling something or other I thought to myself "that looks exactly like what I was doing BEFORE I skewered my thumb way back in 6th grade art class when we were gouging out plates for a printmaking project." Man, but the thumb's got a LOT of blood coursing through it.

Anyway, as a player I was impressed by the action of John's SDG. I'd forgotten that it had a Manzer wedge and didn't even realize it until I looked at the pictures afterwards. Chalk me up as another SDG fan. It's a great fingerstyle guitar with plentiful bass.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop