The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 AM

Default Introducing an Unknown Luthier

I recently acquired a bearclaw spruce top/mahogany dread in trade for an Ovation 40th anniv Balladeer reissue I was in love with. The dread was 13 years old and had dings and rash on it which I steadfastly try to protect my instruments from having occur. However, in over 50 years of playing and owning every major brand out there, I had never heard a guitar before with the sound this one had. The trade was a no brainer. I had it appraised by one of the finest finger pickers in Texas before making the trade and he said it was the best sounding custom made guitar he had ever played and asked to borrow it for his next cd. I tracked down the luthier in Colorado and learned he was a retired college professor who had been building guitars and mandos for over 40 years. I designed him a headstock logo for his instruments he was very pleased with. He sent me pics of an OM he had recently completed along with a letter explaining how he builds for love of the craft, often selling instruments for only enough money to buy supplies for the next one. Here are a few pics of my dread. The quality isn't great because they were taken with an iPod.

Here is the new OM. He quoted me a price of $700 for it and added he would probably take less. Based on my guitar from him I currently own, I told him he should ask $2,000 for this!

This has an Adirondack top and flame maple back and sides. If it wasn't for the fact that it's Christmas shopping time, I would have a collection of two Jonathan Conant guitars with the acquisition of this beauty! As I said, he's been building for over 40 years. My dread has matured to an awesome sound after only 13 years and I'd give anything to be able to add this OM to my herd.

Last edited by rlouie; 03-21-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM

Thanks for sharing!! I love the maple on that OM. Its always good to hear stories like that. You should suggest he join the AGF. Im sure he would be right at home here.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZekeM View Post
Thanks for sharing!! I love the maple on that OM. Its always good to hear stories like that. You should suggest he join the AGF. Im sure he would be right at home here.
I thought about that, but in talking with him through countless emails now I've learned he's 71 years old and considers himself to be totally retired now. He said he refuses to turn the lutherie into a business, it would take away the enjoyment he gets from it. He said he despises the "selling process" so I have no idea what it would be like to deal with him on a custom order. He literally told me he has given his instruments away before to people who showed a genuine appreciation for them. Don't think I haven't been heaping praise on that OM! He said he gets most of his work from people who hear him playing somewhere and who come up to ask him about the guitar he's playing because they notice something about how it sounds. He said he has to make soundholes larger than normal because he has large hands and needs to reach inside with "fingertip razor blades" to fine tune the shaving of the braces to achieve the sound he is after. I was amazed when I put a mirror in my guitar and saw all the finessing he did to the braces, all the way to completely feathering them into the top. A luthier who examined it for me said the bracing is just like the most expensive Martins. I have a totally positive impression of this guy and everybody who plays my guitar seems to want to offer me a trade on the spot or at least ask what I'd take for it. Absolutely not for sale though... I couldn't replace the sound it has acquired. I sure wish I could be a part of bringing that OM along to the same point.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveKell View Post
I thought about that, but in talking with him through countless emails now I've learned he's 71 years old and considers himself to be totally retired now. He said he refuses to turn the lutherie into a business, it would take away the enjoyment he gets from it. He said he despises the "selling process" so I have no idea what it would be like to deal with him on a custom order. He literally told me he has given his instruments away before to people who showed a genuine appreciation for them. Don't think I haven't been heaping praise on that OM! He said he gets most of his work from people who hear him playing somewhere and who come up to ask him about the guitar he's playing because they notice something about how it sounds. He said he has to make soundholes larger than normal because he has large hands and needs to reach inside with "fingertip razor blades" to fine tune the shaving of the braces to achieve the sound he is after. I was amazed when I put a mirror in my guitar and saw all the finessing he did to the braces, all the way to completely feathering them into the top. A luthier who examined it for me said the bracing is just like the most expensive Martins. I have a totally positive impression of this guy and everybody who plays my guitar seems to want to offer me a trade on the spot or at least ask what I'd take for it. Absolutely not for sale though... I couldn't replace the sound it has acquired. I sure wish I could be a part of bringing that OM along to the same point.
You said he lives in Colorado? Any idea what part? I live in Denver and I'm looking to start my first build sometime next year. I wonder if he would be interested in getting together and showing me a thing or two? Especially his techniques for bracing? Sounds like a great guy.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
You said he lives in Colorado? Any idea what part? I live in Denver and I'm looking to start my first build sometime next year. I wonder if he would be interested in getting together and showing me a thing or two? Especially his techniques for bracing? Sounds like a great guy.
You're in luck! He lives in Aurora... and being a retired college professor I'm betting he'd be very willing to help you. I can't speak for him of course, but if you PM me your contact info I'll forward it on to him.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooberJake View Post
Jake, check your private messages. I dropped you a note.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Default Om

Dave, I finally joined the forum - primarily in hopes that I can get this guitar for my son's church. I'm not sure how to PM, but I'd love to be put in contact with the gentleman. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:44 PM

I should let everyone know the OM has a new owner and it looks like a recently finished parlor will soon be shipped off as well. In addition, I got a commitment from Dr. Conant that his next build will definitely be another OM nearly identical to the one in this thread and it is already reserved for me. I can't disclose his financial compensation for it because I feel that is his business, but will add that I already feel like I won a lottery!
Old 12-21-2012, 05:07 PM

I'm losing my mind! I miss the Ovation I traded for this dread so much I've listed this guitar in Classifieds as "Awesome 1999 Luthier Built Dread". I've tracked down another Ovation at a price that's a steal. Plus, this guy is currently building me an OM, so I'll still have one of his incredible guitars. I kind of hope someone beats me to the Ovation so I can call off this madness.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:55 AM

I think you have the worse case of GAS i have ever witnessed. After 50 years you would think you would get over it. I guess I will stop searching for a cure and just live with my own affliction. My wife will be thrilled!
Old 12-31-2012, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasworker View Post
I think you have the worse case of GAS i have ever witnessed. After 50 years you would think you would get over it. I guess I will stop searching for a cure and just live with my own affliction. My wife will be thrilled!
Actually, as I have admitted a number of times, it's a bonafide OCD. All my life I have traded in women, cars and guitars in a very short time for a different model. I am struggling the worst over this guitar though. Told the wife last night a guy messaged me he almost has the cash accrued to buy it. Told her further I don't know what I'm actually gonna do when/if that happens. If I didn't have a mental disorder it would be an absolute no brainer - keep this guitar. I couldn't find a finer one at any price!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop