The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-09-2019, 07:30 PM

Default Dual Source pickups

Hi,
I've been reading about dual source pickups or pickup/mic.

I'd like to try out a dual source setup on both my guitars.
Both guitars will have a permanent jjb330 pickup, and I have a NeoD humbucker, and a Dimarzio Black Angel.

From reading, I'm not very clear what else I need? A dual preamp?

What's the best bang for the buck preamp that will work and sounds good?
What's a higher quality device but still affordable that sounds better?

What else do I need?

Thanks for any help,
Bob
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-10-2019, 05:32 AM

I am assuming you intend to use only one of those magnetic PUs, I would go for the Black Angel.

I am guessing you only want one jack socket on your guitar, so you will need to wire both pickups to a stereo jack so you can split the signals of each pickup at your preamp/mixer.

Then using a stereo cable you can plug each pickup output into a dual channel mixer/preamp to EQ and mix the sources. Ideally you want to be able to EQ the sources *separately*, the Black Angel and the JJB will need totally different EQ to get the best overall sound.

There are already numerous threads on dual channel preamps eg: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=394253

People have their own preference, it really depends on your budget and what features you want (the individual channel EQ is the important one).

I use a Bose T1 (no longer made) to mix three PU sources, which is great and is actually more of a digital mixer with FX, easy to use. For a while dealers were selling them off cheap and a I grabbed a bargain., you can pick them up off Ebay.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 06-10-2019, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvf263 View Post
Hi,
I've been reading about dual source pickups or pickup/mic.

I'd like to try out a dual source setup on both my guitars.
Both guitars will have a permanent jjb330 pickup, and I have a NeoD humbucker, and a Dimarzio Black Angel.

From reading, I'm not very clear what else I need? A dual preamp?

What's the best bang for the buck preamp that will work and sounds good?
What's a higher quality device but still affordable that sounds better?

What else do I need?

Thanks for any help,
Bob
Hi Bob

The advantage most dual source setups offer is from using two different sounding pickups/mics, so you can 'mix' the best aspects of one with the best attributes of the other. I'm not sure in my mind there would be that radical a difference between the two you mentioned.

All 4 of my main acoustic guitars have dual sources, and I prefer a pickup coupled with an internal mic. And I use heavy duty external preamps for all of mine.

Yes, you will need a dual source preamp, or a pair of single channel preamps as opposed to just going through a mixer. The preamps in sound mixers are far cheaper and less adaptive than a stand alone preamp designed for acoustic guitars.

I own a Raven PMB I and PMB II, and a DTAR Solstice. None of these are manufactured any more, but both can be found used for around $300-350 USD. Grace (company) make a fantastic dual source preamp called the Felix, for about $1100 USD. Top of the line, once in a lifetime purchase type of gear.

All these offer the option for tone adjustment, phase switch, phantom supplied to internal microphones, ground lift, input gain and output Master volumes, and a patch bay for output options.

If you don't plan to use pickups which require power supplied to them, then if you can find an older UltraSound DI Max (see picture) which is a stereo preamp which does NOT provide phantom to internal mics it would do a great job. It works with two input sources, and gives you control of both input and output, and can be powered by internal battery or phantom from a mixer/amp. I use mine like a mini-mixer to mix a singing mic with an internal pickup for single channel amps (or straight to a PA).

Also K&K make a belt pack dual source preamp (Dual Channel Pro Preamp) which does provide internal mic power for around $220 USD which has all the tone controls buried internally (you have to pull the case apart to get to them).

Sounds good, and is much smaller than the others mentioned. I think it's too heavy for a belt (I do own one), but I've just set mine on top of amps before, or velcroed it to a mic stand in front of me. Only ¼" output (no XLR output), no phase switch nor ground lift. Baggs and Fishman both have had stereo preamps even smaller than the K&K at around the $100 mark (with less tone control). One would need to couple any of these with a passive Direct Box to feed a PA.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-10-2019, 03:34 PM

"I am assuming you intend to use only one of those magnetic PUs, I would go for the Black Angel."

A: Yes, I have the jjb330, and then the Black Angel on one guitar.

"I am guessing you only want one jack socket on your guitar, so you will need to wire both pickups to a stereo jack so you can split the signals of each pickup at your preamp/mixer."

A: Will a TRS work also or specifically a stereo jack?

"Then using a stereo cable you can plug each pickup output into a dual channel mixer/preamp to EQ and mix the sources. Ideally you want to be able to EQ the sources *separately*, the Black Angel and the JJB will need totally different EQ to get the best overall sound."

"There are already numerous threads on dual channel preamps eg: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=394253"

"People have their own preference, it really depends on your budget and what features you want (the individual channel EQ is the important one)."

A: Looking at some of those prices, I'll start with the cheapest route that has individual EQ. Don't need phantom.

"I use a Bose T1 (no longer made) to mix three PU sources, which is great and is actually more of a digital mixer with FX, easy to use. For a while dealers were selling them off cheap and a I grabbed a bargain., you can pick them up off Ebay."
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-10-2019, 08:41 PM

Quote:
A: Will a TRS work also or specifically a stereo jack?
A TRS jack IS a stereo jack, actually a 2 channel jack to be precise.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 06-11-2019, 02:44 PM

The advantage most dual source setups offer is from using two different sounding pickups/mics, so you can 'mix' the best aspects of one with the best attributes of the other. I'm not sure in my mind there would be that radical a difference between the two you mentioned.

A: I would think there would be a difference between a jjb330(K&Klike), and Black Angel. Maybe I'll find out if I can get everything together...lol

All 4 of my main acoustic guitars have dual sources, and I prefer a pickup coupled with an internal mic. And I use heavy duty external preamps for all of mine.

A: I'm trying to locate a good preamp right now but some are really hard to come by it seems.

Yes, you will need a dual source preamp, or a pair of single channel preamps as opposed to just going through a mixer. The preamps in sound mixers are far cheaper and less adaptive than a stand alone preamp designed for acoustic guitars.

A: Would a pair of Behringer ADI21's work until I find something better in the $150-$200 price range?

I own a Raven PMB I and PMB II, and a DTAR Solstice. None of these are manufactured any more, but both can be found used for around $300-350 USD. Grace (company) make a fantastic dual source preamp called the Felix, for about $1100 USD. Top of the line, once in a lifetime purchase type of gear.

A: I'm still looking for some used gear you mentioned. What about the Headway EDB-2? That seemed pretty decent but I remember you or someone got rid of it for some reason. What about the Fishman Platinum pro EQ/DI?

All these offer the option for tone adjustment, phase switch, phantom supplied to internal microphones, ground lift, input gain and output Master volumes, and a patch bay for output options.

If you don't plan to use pickups which require power supplied to them, then if you can find an older UltraSound DI Max (see picture) which is a stereo preamp which does NOT provide phantom to internal mics it would do a great job. It works with two input sources, and gives you control of both input and output, and can be powered by internal battery or phantom from a mixer/amp. I use mine like a mini-mixer to mix a singing mic with an internal pickup for single channel amps (or straight to a PA).

A: These are hard to find. I'll continue to search.

Also K&K make a belt pack dual source preamp (Dual Channel Pro Preamp) which does provide internal mic power for around $220 USD which has all the tone controls buried internally (you have to pull the case apart to get to them) Sounds good, and is much smaller than the others mentioned. I think it's too heavy for a belt (I do own one), but I've just set mine on top of amps before, or velcroed it to a mic stand in front of me. Only ¼" output (no XLR output), no phase switch nor ground lift. Baggs and Fishman both have had stereo preamps even smaller than the K&K at around the $100 mark (with less tone control). One would need to couple any of these with a passive Direct Box to feed a PA.

Hope this adds to the discussion.

A: It added plenty! Thank you for all your input

[/size][/QUOTE]
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=546728

just saw.....don't know if still available.....I have one and love it or I'd grab it!
Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krugjr View Post
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=546728

just saw.....don't know if still available.....I have one and love it or I'd grab it!
I reached out but hey who knows...lol....Thanks!
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-12-2019, 02:28 AM

Quote:
I'm still looking for some used gear you mentioned. What about the Headway EDB-2? That seemed pretty decent but I remember you or someone got rid of it for some reason.
I have the EDB1. They are fantastic little preamps with good features that fit in your guitar case and an upgrade to the ubiquitous Baggs PADI.

*But* the main disadvantage for dual source pickup systems (where the point is to get the best from each) with both EDB models is that you can only EQ the whole mix output, not individual sources.

"The way nature seems to work is that it sends a messenger...the acoustic guitar needed to go in another direction, Michael Hedges became that messenger"
Tommy Emmanuel
Old 06-12-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I’m a dual source guitarist (K&K trinity & a SE Electronics SE8 small diaphragm condenser mic) and one of those folks who took the deep dive and bought a Grace Design Felix. Since I’ve had it, absolutely no regrets. It covers everything that you could think of and is absolutely quiet. It’s is $$$$ but as ljguitar noted it is once in a lifetime purchase and for me the right move. The right preamp does make difference.
Custom Emerald X20-12 guitar
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM

I mix a Sunrise and K&K in a Taylor 914
And
An LR Baggs M80 with K&K in a Taylor 814 cocobolo.

For a simple preamp, I like the RedEye Twin that allows you to easily mix the two, and adjust the treble and gain to get the best mix.
Also,
I have a Headway EDB2 that has much more options and eq you can send to both or one channel. It is a fantastic little preamp and I often use it as a mini-mixer to mix a mic for vocals and guitar.
Both are moderately priced and extremely good preamps.
Keep us posted,
Davidc
Old 06-13-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood View Post
I have the EDB1. They are fantastic little preamps with good features that fit in your guitar case and an upgrade to the ubiquitous Baggs PADI.

*But* the main disadvantage for dual source pickup systems (where the point is to get the best from each) with both EDB models is that you can only EQ the whole mix output, not individual sources.
These do look interesting, I'll add this to my list. Thank you
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-13-2019, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwebguy View Post
I’m a dual source guitarist (K&K trinity & a SE Electronics SE8 small diaphragm condenser mic) and one of those folks who took the deep dive and bought a Grace Design Felix. Since I’ve had it, absolutely no regrets. It covers everything that you could think of and is absolutely quiet. It’s is $$$$ but as ljguitar noted it is once in a lifetime purchase and for me the right move. The right preamp does make difference.
I'll most likely own one some day, today is not that day...lol....Thanks
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
I mix a Sunrise and K&K in a Taylor 914
And
An LR Baggs M80 with K&K in a Taylor 814 cocobolo.

For a simple preamp, I like the RedEye Twin that allows you to easily mix the two, and adjust the treble and gain to get the best mix.
Also,
I have a Headway EDB2 that has much more options and eq you can send to both or one channel. It is a fantastic little preamp and I often use it as a mini-mixer to mix a mic for vocals and guitar.
Both are moderately priced and extremely good preamps.
Keep us posted,
Davidc
I hear alot of good things about the red-eye preamp, it's on my list to research. I love the fact how easy it is to use.
Have you had any issues playing live with it?
Gibson LG0 Hog 64
Old 06-13-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Bob
Hi Larry,
Just curious, would it be better to have a passive pickup and a active pickup?

What would you suggest?

Thanks,
Bob
Gibson LG0 Hog 64

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification