The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-13-2019, 06:08 PM

Default broke the high E string

I’m new to electric guitar. I’m an acoustic player, used to mediums on my dreads. Today I broke the high E string while practicing some licks that have a whole step bend (from C to D, to give you an idea where I want bending). The string were pretty new. I believe they were 9’s. Felt pretty skimpy compared the the 13’s on my dreads. So I guess I am not surprised it snapped but the strings weren’t old or worn out. Or could I have been doing something wrong in my newbie way of bending the high E string?
Old 06-13-2019, 06:47 PM

Some strat bridges have very sharp edges on the block and the bridge plate that make strings more likely to break. Check the hole where the string goes through the bridge for sharp edges, assuming it's a strat and the string broke near the bridge. If that is the case, a small file will do the trick to smooth off the edge and your strings will last longer.
Old 06-13-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Some strat bridges have very sharp edges on the block and the bridge plate that make strings more likely to break. Check the hole where the string goes through the bridge for sharp edges, assuming it's a strat and the string broke near the bridge. If that is the case, a small file will do the trick to smooth off the edge and your strings will last longer.

Actually, it snapped somewhere around the 15th fret. Should’ve mentioned that in the original post. And yes. It’s a strat.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:16 PM

SIT strings sells their set of 9s with a spare 9. May not be a bad idea to grab a few singles next time you're at a music store. Or just go with something a bit heavier.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:18 AM

Are the frets smooth in that area?
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 06-14-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
Are the frets smooth in that area?

Good point. Yes the frets are smooth but maybe in my newbie way, I am pressing down too hard.

Will have to see if it happens again after I restring.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:40 AM

What brand of strings were you using?

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 06-14-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
What brand of strings were you using?

Something else I should’ve mentioned earlier. I just got it and the shop set it up so I am not sure. But I was told it was a 9.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:21 AM

I broke a couple of high E strings when I got out the electric after not playing it for ten years. I have trouble with that bend. Especially on the 10th fret. I tend to slide that one.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Something else I should’ve mentioned earlier. I just got it and the shop set it up so I am not sure. But I was told it was a 9.
If they did a setup, and used the same set of strings start to finish, that would be enough to make the strings -- especially the high e -- more likely to break. All that tuning up/retuning does a number on the strings. When I do setups, I usually throw a fresh set of strings on when I'm done just to ensure I'll be able to play that set awhile.
Old 06-14-2019, 07:17 PM

I can't recall a need to bend the high end E string. (Higher string tension than the strings above it which makes it more difficult to bend for a start which could explain things for you).
Old 06-14-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
I can't recall a need to bend the high end E string. (Higher string tension than the strings above it which makes it more difficult to bend for a start which could explain things for you).

It was lick #1 from here

https://youtu.be/Gu2esZ-PzFM
Old 06-14-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
It was lick #1 from here

https://youtu.be/Gu2esZ-PzFM
Greater chance that the high E string will break if you want to bend it all the way up per the video simply because of its tension. (Suggest using a more gentle bend, bending another string above it or even not bending the high E string instead which may alter the tone of the lick but half the fun is making someone else's lick your own anyway).

Good luck!

Last edited by Steel and wood; 06-14-2019 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Greater chance that the high E string will break if you want to bend it all the way up per the video simply because of its tension. (Suggest using a more gentle bend, bending another string above it or even not bending the high E string instead which may alter the tone of the lick but half the fun is making someone else's lick your own anyway).

Good luck!

Yes. It was a bit of a fight bending the high E. I just changed my strings. Gonna go back at it and see if I can break the string again
Old 07-04-2019, 02:34 AM

That's actually a kind of odd place for the string to break; they usually break at one of the stress points...saddle, sustain block, nut, etc. It could have simply been a defective string or maybe it got kinked during installation.

Another thing...unless your bridge is really, really decked (or a hardtail), bending a string a whole step will cause the bridge to pull up, forcing you to bend the string just that much more in order to arrive at the intended pitch.

If I have a bend like that, sometimes I palm the bridge (if possible) to hold it down while bending with fingers. My bridges are set up for mostly dive with very slight up-trem...floating just a bit. I mainly do it this way so the bridge doesn't smack the top of the guitar if I let go of the arm.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars