The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Default So I got a Kopp L-02

I've played it for about 4 hours now. If my hands allowed me, I would have kept going. This one has an Adi top, hog back and sides. It's the most responsive, punchy, small body guitar I've played. I swear it fills the room with as much sound as my dreads. The build quality is next level. If anyone is thinking about taking the Kopp plunge, I'd recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I'm fortunate to live right by Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh. Steve and Raymond can fulfill your Kopp needs. Contact them!

Old 05-09-2021, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Amen brother....my Kopp RJ became my favorite guitar ever within a day of playing it .....so much so that I got on his build list for a custom K35 even though it’s a year and 8 months out....

Congrats on snagging a nice one...
Old 05-09-2021, 08:31 AM

The Kopp L-02 has been on my wish list for a while -- truly beautiful design and fuller than many other L-00s out there. And some of the nicest sunbursts ever.

Congratulations!!
Old 05-09-2021, 08:31 AM
Charter Member

Default So I got a Kopp L-02

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Amen brother....my Kopp RJ became my favorite guitar ever within a day of playing it .....so much so that I got on his build list for a custom K35 even though it’s a year and 8 months out....

Congrats on snagging a nice one...

I thought long and hard about the RJ! Ended up going with the L-02, I’m sure it’s amazing as well, have you played any other Kopp’s to compare the RJ too? How is it?
Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Charter Member

I'd probably buy something that looked like that based
on looks alone! ... no - wait ...

-Mike
Old 05-09-2021, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I'd probably buy something that looked like that based
on looks alone! ... no - wait ...

-Mike

Haha! I hear you man... every guitar in his lineup is a stunner.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:19 AM

Cool and congrats. Did you consider the 12 fret version of the L-02 as well?

A bit over a year ago I decided it was time to go for something completely different and rather than snag another old Gibson I began to seek out a new guitar with Old School Gibson Tone. The first ones I considered were the Kopp and Fairbanks takes on the 1920s L1. As both builders have their own ideas as to what sounds best neither went with the H bracing the originals but opted for a differently voiced (scalloped and non-scalloped) X bracing. My problem was I could not find examples of either build to play. But in the end I figured as I already owned a 1932 12 fret L1 it just was not going to get any better so went in a different direction finally ending up with a Fairbanks Roy Smeck. But the Kopp RJ because of the scalloped bracing is still in my sights. Now if somebody would come out with a '34 Smeck Stage Deluxe clone with the scalloped bracing and small 3 3/4" soundhole it might be a no brainer for me.

Last edited by zombywoof; 05-09-2021 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 11:45 AM
Resident Guitar Hack

Sweet! Congrats!

Old 05-09-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Beauty... congratulations! AMW is a great shop. Must be nice to have them so close.
Old 05-09-2021, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monts View Post
I thought long and hard about the RJ! Ended up going with the L-02, I’m sure it’s amazing as well, have you played any other Kopp’s to compare the RJ too? How is it?
...nope I’ve never played another Kopp....or heard another one live....the RJ was a leap of faith for me...as is the K-35 I’m in line for....I’m getting one with maple back and sides built...and likely a 12 fret neck......Kevin said he’s never built a maple K 35....he’s really a great guy to deal with....

...as for the RJ...it’s crazy responsive to the lightest touch but holds up to a pretty stout attack....definitely mid forward but overall very balanced....excels at finger style blues and old jazz standards that I love to play...but it’s a pretty darn good strummer and a great all rounder....
Old 05-09-2021, 03:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...nope I’ve never played another Kopp....or heard another one live....the RJ was a leap of faith for me...as is the K-35 I’m in line for....I’m getting one with maple back and sides built...and likely a 12 fret neck......Kevin said he’s never built a maple K 35....he’s really a great guy to deal with....

...as for the RJ...it’s crazy responsive to the lightest touch but holds up to a pretty stout attack....definitely mid forward but overall very balanced....excels at finger style blues and old jazz standards that I love to play...but it’s a pretty darn good strummer and a great all rounder....
That K 35 is going to be amazing. Thanks for the description of the RJ, I'm sure it's top notch. I love the looks of them.
Old 05-09-2021, 03:41 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations. It’s beautiful. Kevin made me a custom 13 fret Sitka/maple Nick Lucas in 2014. I let it go to someone here, but it’s one of my big regrets. Someday I hope it pops up in the For Sale section and I can get it back.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:50 PM

I have a Kopp K-185 with koa back and sides and the short 24.75” scale - it’s a marvelous guitar. I’ll second the folks who’ve mentioned that Kevin is great to work with, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-09-2021, 06:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I have a Kopp K-185 with koa back and sides and the short 24.75” scale - it’s a marvelous guitar. I’ll second the folks who’ve mentioned that Kevin is great to work with, as well.

Wade Hampton Miller

Wade, I saw your K-185 thread, there was a K-200 available when I bought this... I definitely thought about it..but the deal on the L-02 seemed like my best option. I’m sure that 185 is superb.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:53 PM
Charter Member

I've owned two of Kevin's guitars, a K-35 that I purchased used and still have, maybe 10 or 12 yers old. And the L-02 (new) which I let go of and probably should have kept? Kevin is great to deal with and builds great guitars. I'll never sell my K-35...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion